Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First Glimpse Of The GT

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
N cee thirty This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:16 - 02 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hats off Vincent. I wish I had mechanic skills beyond the very basics.
I'm destined to have to pay a mechanic to do anything complex like a rebuild. Shame because I love older
bikes, but I don't know how to fix one up, nor do I have anywhere to do so really at present. Sorry to hear about
your brother too. Get it going again to honour him and go on a cool trip somewhere on it. Thumbs Up

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:07 - 02 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Hats off Vincent. I wish I had mechanic skills beyond the very basics.
I'm destined to have to pay a mechanic to do anything complex like a rebuild. Shame because I love older
bikes, but I don't know how to fix one up, nor do I have anywhere to do so really at present. Sorry to hear about
your brother too. Get it going again to honour him and go on a cool trip somewhere on it. Thumbs Up

You don't have to be destined to waste your money. You just have to get over your fear of failing, then it'll be alright. There are books and manuals to how to fix stuff and put it together again. I was saying the same thing, and today I do most of the work my self. I still let my mate to check my work, but other than that, if I'm gonna need to take the engine apart I will do so. Razz

Feck, I had the Vectra engine head down 3 times now. Changed the stator on the CB-1, took apart mates XR250, and so on. Once you're over your fear, you'll get that satisfying feeling of having something properly done by yourself. The only time I get really angry, is when I find a botched repair from the previous owner. Thumbs Up

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:57 - 04 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were where you're at right now I would do the following:

Strip the top and bottom cases down to individual components, clean gasket faces.
    Bolt up the cases with plywood discs filling the bearing holes, fix on barrels, heads outside casings and any housings like water pump and thermostat.
    Take the whole lot for wet-blasting.
    Dry out and paint the whole outside in etch-primer, wait for paint to dry.
    Strip down and have barrels and heads lapped flat.
    Send the barrels for boring & plating.
    Re-assemble dry and paint whole outside.
    Leave a week to harden and then rebuild engine.

This would give you maximum result for minimum spend and effort and the engine should look and run like new if the crank's good. I can point you at a guy who lives out somewhere near Framlingham who used to have a wet-blast cabinet if it helps.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:40 - 04 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice to see the GT750's most private area all open and exposed like that! Laughing

The one thing that struck me most from the pictures though is just how much wider is that crank shaft than it needed to be?

I may be going off on a silly tangent here, but what if they had moved the primary drive to the outside, and lost the huge generator for a neat little piggy back alternator, and made it with a compact cassette gearbox from the start?

If all the above was the reality I reckon the GT750 engine would have become a cult sought after two stroke special builders motor of choice long before the RG500 and RD500 engines were created.

It would have also been interesting to see those pistons at that mileage if it could have been run on modern fully synth race oil from day one, as I expect cheap and simple two smoke oil has caused a lot of the burnt carbon/oil deposits on them?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:11 - 04 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bores look like standard liners to me, not plated just bare iron. Put a magnet on them.

You need to sort the gasket faces, despite what you think. If you brought them to me I could demonstrate why.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:15 - 04 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with that dome that can't be fixed in a few minutes. I made Iain's one as good as new from a much worse condition. He had bought a new head (which incidentally wasn't flat enough to hold compression and coolant) and you could barely tell them apart. He ended up using the one I fixed.

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 228 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3