BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Go naked?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Shoeb
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:32 - 28 Aug 2015    Post subject: Go naked? Reply with quote

First off, hello to everyone. New member here. Not a (very) new biker though, and I've a very slight dilemma as I idly plan my next bike purchase. Currently ride an FZ6 fazer which is awesome but I just can't get on with the half faired looks, and shallow though that is it stops me from really loving the thing. Really, I prefer the looks of naked bikes, but I do like a bit of light touring, at which the fazer excels.
Has anyone got a naked middleweight they use for this and if so, do you suffer on long high-speed days (and please share your idea of long and high speed for my reference)? I know a fairing makes motorways easier but my heart still says naked.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:14 - 28 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can do 200 miles a day on twisties with my SpeedT. Wouldn't dream of doing 200 motorway miles though - partly because my wrists would ache and partly because that's what cars are for...

Ben90
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:23 - 28 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like the bike, get a naked FZ6?

https://moto.zombdrive.com/images/yamaha-fz6-s2-10.jpg

You can also naked-ify your bike if you so wish, the americans have concocted a 'kit' which you can buy to effectively replace your front fairing with a naked headlight and all associated gubbins.

The yanks never got the FZ6'n' so this was their only choice.

Light touring on a naked should be fine as long as you avoid long motorway slogs. A fly-screen helps, which you can easily remove route/vanity dependant.

Shoeb
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:29 - 28 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I'm very aware of what a fittie the naked version is! It's really motorways I'm thinking of I suppose. I never really want to use them but sometimes it's just way more efficient for getting places. Now if you'll excuse me that pic has given me quite a stubborn erection...

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:58 - 28 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've an XJ6N and love it. Got a fly screen for it and I'm comfortable at 70 Shifty Shhh! on the m/way. Longest trips I have done have been to is from Portsmouth to Cardington and back 3 times. A3, M25, M1
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:48 - 28 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
I've an XJ6N and love it. Got a fly screen for it and I'm comfortable at 70 Shifty Shhh! on the m/way. Longest trips I have done have been to is from Portsmouth to Cardington and back 3 times. A3, M25, M1

It's surprising the difference those tiddly little flyscreens can make, 80 with nothing there and you've got to really hang on to most machines - add a small screen and it's reasonably comfortable.

To answer the OP, I suppose it very much depends whether you're a Glaswegian welder type of character or a lily-livered London office boy type Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kaya75
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:56 - 29 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a gsf 600 naked, never really bothered with wind, love tge naked looks, I nearly brought a fzr6 as they are very sweet, but got to love naked bandits.. a few people have said about tge fly screens look good dam ugly in my eyes but I may consider getting one for tge m6 in December!! Smile
Go fir it Smile

Mario_Kempes
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:45 - 29 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never understood the "can't ride a naked bike because of the wind" stuff.

I've got a double bubble on the 636 and it's doubtless better but, riding the xt600 or my previous Hornet, wind never bothered me much at all. Only when you go over a ton does it really become noticeable.

Stop being a pussy.

Shoeb
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:05 - 29 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mario_Kempes wrote:

I've got a double bubble on the 636 and it's doubtless better but, riding the xt600 or my previous Hornet, wind never bothered me much at all. Only when you go over a ton does it really become noticeable.

Stop being a pussy.

Oh please. I'm trying to figure out if a naked bike would make my holidays any less enjoyable, essentially. Why should I sacrifice my own enjoyment so that some stranger won't think I'm a "pussy"? That'd be pretty pathetic don't you think?

Thank everyone else so far, seems like a naked could still be up to the job. Do you reckon the power of the machine would make any difference?

Kaya75
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:17 - 29 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about power, but over a ton and Im careful not to make big gestures like waving, theres nothing to get back behind quickly so you feel like you are caught in the wind, which you are I guess. So it's more a speed thing really. If more horses equal higher average speed then..

The thing the catches me out sometimes is takeoff, if I'm just sat chilling then give it a dose of juice, lights, slip roads, Aroad refuges I don't get into position fast enough and I can feel a little blown back, but that's my sloppy style in fairness.

Holidays in warmth of hi summer would be fine, long rides in winter the old knees are my main cold spot and it's not great to be honest, hoping some new winter kegs will help this year.

Still cold knees or not still love the freedom of being naked! Lol. I reckon a Hornet would only add to your enjoyment Wink

Thumbs Up

rubyhorse2
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:30 - 02 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

its amazing what some of the little screens can with regards the wind. I tend to put up with the minuscule one on the SD but dont really do much motorway riding unless its needed.

i can sit at 70mph quite comfortably to be honest, once you start going silly speeds then it is tuck down and hold one time.

It wouldnt worry me anyway, get a naked.

JP7
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:44 - 02 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an FZ6N, which had a small screen on the front. I loved the looks of the bike, and the screen did make a noticeable difference to wind buffeting, but it did still become annoying and tiring on a long trip. I am not the most sturdily-built of people, so after a while it does become a problem.

Personally speaking, I am a lot happier on a faired bike. Your Fazer is an ideal all-rounder really. Just my two-penceworth.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:37 - 03 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 70, in the rain, without a screen, you will quickly be miserable. I got an MRA vario screen for my 535 intending just to use it for long motorway trips and 2-up tours where putting my head down causes complaints from behind. It has stayed on the bike, and i don't find myself rushing to break out the oversuit at the first sign of drizzle now. Yes I sit more upright than on a FZ6, but such a screen has eliminated the effect of wind blast on the comfortable cruising speed of the bike.

deadwolf
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 01:54 - 04 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seconding/thirding/whatevering the suggestion of a flyscreen on a naked bike. Just whack it on when you want to hit the motorways and take it off when you want the bike in all its naked glory.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:26 - 04 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoeb wrote:
Mario_Kempes wrote:

Stop being a pussy.

Oh please. I'm trying to figure out if a naked bike would make my holidays any less enjoyable, essentially. Why should I sacrifice my own enjoyment so that some stranger won't think I'm a "pussy"? That'd be pretty pathetic don't you think?

You've got to give the bike, and your body, something to work with. It's no use sitting in the same position as you would around town. I'm not saying lie down with your chin on the clocks - but it's not hard to find a sweet spot whereby you can keep a constant 80-90 without too much fatigue. I do it on an old cb500 from time to time, and I suck. 90 mins on, 10-15 mins off. If you're not planning to actually ride motorways much - as you said - 80 on a naked is fine tbh. Just alter your riding position a bit.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:51 - 04 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive got a naked bandit (no screen etc) on the motorway it can be a bit windy

id say it helps if you are carrying a little beef to keep you anchored on the bike

I always chuckle as im doing "70" on the motorway going past cars an they are eating butties an smoking fags as im holding on for dear life....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 236 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1