Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Thinking of getting into racing

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  

KieranAmI
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:47 - 28 Jul 2015    Post subject: Thinking of getting into racing Reply with quote

Hi, I am eager to start motorbike racing but have no idea where to start. I'm near enough 18 and really just need advice and a pointer on where to go because as far as I know I'll need some form of racing license (no idea where to apply) and I also don't know what cc machines I can use.
So yeah, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.
CaNsA This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Boring). Unhide this post / all posts.

supZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:23 - 29 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, very basic overview..

you'll need an ACU licence.

for that you'll need to do a CTC course (sit in a room, listen and do a really easy test) and get an eye test done. (have to get a new eye test every 3 years you renew)

CTC
https://www.acu.org.uk/ACU-Events/Competitor-Training-Course.aspx

Licence forms
https://www.acu.org.uk/RidersMembers/License-Forms.aspx

presuming you wanna do track riding you'll need the 'Road Race, Scooter Road Race, Drag, Sprint & Hillclimb, Supermoto, Pocket Bike' one.

if you hold a full bike licence you won't need anything else. if not you'll need to do a basic rider assessment to prove you can ride without falling off. this is normally done roughly the same time you do your ctc.

the licence runs from jan to dec to tough if you get it now, you'll have to renew come jan.

there is a strange catch 22 where you can't get an acu licence if you're not a member of a track/club (darley, emra, etc..) and you can't be a member unless you've got an acu licence. but don't worry, it can be done at the same time so when you do your ctc at darley, chuck a tenner over and you'll get your 1st club membership too.

once licensed you'll need to decide what club you want to ride in. I used to race in EMRA which was mostly at mallory park but there are others. most require you to fork over £10-15 for the honour which again is yearly but once its done its done.

so to recap. once you have your acu licence and the club membership you want... you basically sign up for whatever race/s you want and off you go.

I used to race in the F600 (formula 600) so basically, 600cc supersport machines. EMRA had classic, 125, pre-injection, superbike, all sorts. whatever you want to race in, providing you have a bike that meets the requirements, then you're sorted!

I raced with a team. They supplied the bike (and lunch!) and I paid my entry fee for the race and a fee to use the bike to the team. It's not cheap but it did mean if I binned it I don't need to pay or worry about fixing it up. you of course don't need a team, you can do it on your own, many do, and you'll find friends quickly to help you out in the paddock Smile Always good to have someone with you though just in case.

You don't need any special equipment other than a bike that meets the scrutineering (lock wiring, etc..) but obviously stands/spares/wet on wheels etc.. are a good idea.

if you have any specific questions I'd be happy to try to answer them.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 07:34 - 29 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, you need a BIG pile of cash you're happy to all disappear in a weekend. Got that?
Now get some more - you'll need ideally need a van (hopefully with someone to drive it as insurance for your age will take yet more big piles of cash) - though a car and a trailer sleeping in a tent can do.
Then of course a race bike with some hope of being competitive in your class.

Why do you want to start racing?

If you've never ridden on track before, a trackday will probably be more fun - lower costs and you'll likely find you spend more time riding with people of a similar ability.

For racing it's self, I'd look to minimoto or pitbike supermoto to start. Both are massively lower cost than 'big bike' racing and are less hassle - smaller bikes that are easier to get around, less parts, crash better and so on.

CaNsA wrote:
"doxxing"

Remember the thing about '4chan'? Smile... Sure, when it's someone coming on trying to attack a business and it can be shown they're a rival business, sure. Otherwise, it IS generally considered a bit aggressive and 'troll'ish these days.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:45 - 29 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrote this sticky a white back:

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=151386

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:36 - 29 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
For racing it's self, I'd look to minimoto or pitbike supermoto to start.

Look here https://www.britishminibikes.com/

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:45 - 29 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
CaNsA wrote:
"doxxing"

Remember the thing about '4chan'? Smile... Sure, when it's someone coming on trying to attack a business and it can be shown they're a rival business, sure. Otherwise, it IS generally considered a bit aggressive and 'troll'ish these days.

Wind your neck in G.

The OP gave out little to no info at all.
I'm asking because on that twitter account it mentions that the OP has a bike.
https://twitter.com/KieranAmI/status/550412419198361601

If it is the OP, then atleast we know he can ride.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:56 - 29 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wind your 4chan in Wink.

If you'd linked to the twitter account (which by all means does match), or even linked to the picture on the twitter account, more reasonable.
But taking a copy of the image and uploading to imgur, ticks all the '4chan' boxes.

(And yes, I do appreciate the OP hasn't taken the time to do any research himself, nor read the useful sticky thread in this forum - which could be considered a bit rude.)

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:03 - 29 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
But taking a copy of the image and uploading to imgur, ticks all the '4chan' boxes.

No it doesnt.
There isnt a single penis in that pic, unless you are implying the OP is a dick? Thinking

KieranAmI
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:49 - 29 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that is me, and sadly I don't have that bike no more. Weird how you went through the effort of looking at my Twitter.

I had tried doing research beforehand but I found a load of different sites saying different things. I think starting off I'll buy like a 250 or higher cc bike and take it down to a few track days on the back of a trailer to get a feel for using a track.

So cheers for the help and for Casna for stalking my Twitter.

supZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:49 - 30 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

KieranAmI wrote:
I had tried doing research beforehand but I found a load of different sites saying different things. I think starting off I'll buy like a 250 or higher cc bike and take it down to a few track days on the back of a trailer to get a feel for using a track.

yeh if you've not been on track before i would suggest doing a few trackdays 1st before attempting to race Smile

a lot cheaper and imo more fun (i stopped racing as i just wasnt enjoying it any more than doing trackdays - possibly would have been different if i'd have actually been winning anything Very Happy)

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:55 - 31 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best racing Organisers ever!!!

These guys sort all your CTC course, club entry, eye test you will need.

They are not that expensive tbh

Read This Post I created on my first race, it has all the costs you need in there.

Best fun you'll have on two wheels Thumbs Up

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:31 - 24 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to do endurance racing. I blew a fucking huge pile of money and had to quit before I wanted to. If I had my time again I would go to my nearest decent track on ACU open practice days, spend all day in the pit lane and get to know everybody in my local racing scene. Maybe offer to lend a hand in the pits with one of the teams, making tea, emptying oil pans etc. (Of course if you have mechanical skills you could offer to do something which they will value more!). Learn to build and strip race bikes if you possibly can - racers without those skills don't tend to get far unless they are minted.

After a while you will work out a cheap way to learn to race which hopefully doesn't require you to shell out for a race bike and a van and tools etc all on your own. You will find other people who want to start a team on the cheap - so choose wisely, form a team with some good people and learn it all thoroughly and slowly and CHEAPLY.

Good luck, 18 is a great age to start! I didn't until I was 37. Rolling Eyes

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:17 - 24 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bishbash II wrote:

Have you raced with BMCRC?

The first two years I raced the people running Thundersport were in charge of BMCRC, but then 'retired' - think they just realised they could make some cash from it if it was their business rather than a charity.

Regardless, BMCRC/MRO still seems to be pretty well thought of.

gorillaonabik...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 03:32 - 31 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should practice. This can take one of two forms. Either:

1. Do some track days.
2. Take a big pile of money and burn it.

Even track days can get pricey (recall from personal experience). Gotta really want to do it and have money.
FZR400 (blown engine), ZXR750 (blown engine), ZX6R (accident), CBR600 which had engine issues after which I learned to change gear..., CBR900, CBR924 (stolen), CB600, CB1300 (everything blew up), BMW K1300GT (written off, hit from rear while stationary), Bandit 1250 for a couple of months, Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (nicked) and somewhere in there, I wrote off a Ducati 748 at Cadwell.

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:00 - 04 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Bishbash II wrote:

Have you raced with BMCRC?

The first two years I raced the people running Thundersport were in charge of BMCRC, but then 'retired' - think they just realised they could make some cash from it if it was their business rather than a charity.

Regardless, BMCRC/MRO still seems to be pretty well thought of.

No, never raced with them, might have a look at them for next season, are they as competitive as Thundersport?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:54 - 04 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was racing they were certainly the most competitive club.
As an idea I finished 10th overall clubman minitwins with best finishes of 4th.
Did a trackday at Brands Indy and was lapping at a similar pace to the leader of the new era 'clubman' hornet cup who was there as well.

I'm not sure what they are like now, but I expect that despite their ex-head now running his own series, they're still up there as far as pace at the sharp end goes.

Talking to others, they were leagues ahead of some other 'slower' clubs as far as organisation, marshaling and medical etc (and I was glad of this when I did need it.)

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:17 - 16 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey, might be a bit ambitious from me to join that club right away. But thanks, I will have a look at them.

Oh BTW, did you have a chance to do the photos from Brands?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:30 - 16 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the impression Thundersport are a similar level generally.

And err, "it's on the list" I'm afraid.

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:52 - 16 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah you have a list, I know the feeling, cheers pal. Thumbs Up Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 196 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1