Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Last chance Bandit (GSF1200Y Project)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

Glitchy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:45 - 27 Sep 2015    Post subject: Last chance Bandit (GSF1200Y Project) Reply with quote

Hi all,
this is my somewhat neglected Bandit 1200, which has been left and forgotten about in a corner of the garage since I came off it in Oct '13 – the front end washed out on diesel, at the time my first thought was a resigned "crap I'm going to have fix this now" but as I was sliding down the road it swiftly turned into "HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!! That coach is coming towards me quickly", anyway the coach driver hit the brakes before it turned me into road kill (he also helped me pick the bike up and push it to the side of the road as my leg was fucked, so an all round top bloke).

Anyway back to the bike, my current bike has expired and is not worth fixing so I need a commuter/general transport, I had been planning on doing the bare minimum to fix the Bandit and sell it, as the handling was always a bit barge-like and it was more than a tad unreliable then buy Kawasaki ER6F, but after I took one for a test ride I absolutely hated it. So I've decided to give the bandit another chance and sort all its faults out.

https://i57.tinypic.com/29m0y81.jpg

The plan is:

Fix:
The collector box is unsurprising rotten beyond repair, so downpipes need replacing
Replace handle bars (Already done).
Left hand side engine mount was damaged in the crash needs welding.
The engine has twisted in the frame and needs to be re-alighted.

Slim-fast:
The fat bastard is going to lose some weight by:
Removing all the pointless anti-vibration weights.
Remove all the heavy steel sub-frames holding on the indicators etc.

Handling:
Forks: brace, re-spring and fill with heavier oil.
Replace the rear shock with a Hagon unit from a GSX-R750K.
Fit rearset risers.
Already replace the handle bars with lighter, lower and wider Renthal superbike bars.

Lights:
The headlamp is pathetic, I was thinking about fitting a HID kit but I'm not a fan of them, so going to replace it with the asymmetrical lamp from F8000GS or some other BMW.
2 of the indicators were damaged in the crash so replacing all of them with some much prettier (and lighter) LED ones.

Misc:
Some general tarting up, replace the frame inserts, polish the swingarm and make a neater number plate holder.

https://i62.tinypic.com/o5dw1k.jpg
That bit metal should be a permanent part of the engine. arse

https://i57.tinypic.com/2eem03p.jpg
Hey this bike is obviously far too light, lets attached lumps of iron to the pegs

So far I've changed the handle bars and taken off most of the broken bits, waiting for various parts to be delivered this week.

sgtcalle
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:36 - 28 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ideal opportunity to fit some of them awesome domi lights! Laughing

Glitchy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:58 - 28 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgtcalle wrote:
Ideal opportunity to fit some of them awesome domi lights! Laughing

A set of domies would go great with blue anodised bolt set and chrome grips I've just ordered Very Happy

Glitchy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:43 - 03 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

No major updates, got the swingarm off (which was a sod) and started polishing. I not sure if I'm going to replace the fork springs linear or progressive ones, but I'm working from the back to front so I'll think about it later.

Also decided not to remove the engine to weld the damaged mount, there enough left of it to bolt it on nice and tight - and USA bandits don't even have the brackets fitted as standard, so there not essential.

defblade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:52 - 03 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotten collector can be welded without even removing the downpipes if you can get the bike to an exhaust place - Longlife Exhausts' branch in Swansea did a neat job on mine, ride-in-ride-out, £80.

Glitchy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:48 - 03 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

defblade wrote:
Rotten collector can be welded without even removing the downpipes if you can get the bike to an exhaust place - Longlife Exhausts' branch in Swansea did a neat job on mine, ride-in-ride-out, £80.

I looked into getting them fixed but I manged to get replacement pipes off ebay for £50.

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:51 - 03 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

k2 gsxr1000 titanium downpipes go on with mild tweaking.

Also, id be cautious about removing the peg weights, they are fitted to reduce vibration.

Cheers
John
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Glitchy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:32 - 04 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

virus wrote:
k2 gsxr1000 titanium downpipes go on with mild tweaking.

Also, id be cautious about removing the peg weights, they are fitted to reduce vibration.

Cheers
John

If its a major issue I can always refit them, but I'm not too worried - my old slingshot GSX-R was a lot more rev happy than the bandit, but it didn't have any of the anti-vibration weights or rubber pegs and it was never a problem.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 13:56 - 04 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glitchy wrote:
If its a major issue I can always refit them, but I'm not too worried - my old slingshot GSX-R was a lot more rev happy than the bandit, but it didn't have any of the anti-vibration weights or rubber pegs and it was never a problem.

The GSXR had a considerably lighter crank.
MCN. This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Glitchy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:25 - 11 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hit some snags this week so not much of an update - usual annoyances like seized/corroded bolts, but the much bigger pain in the arse was garage roof developing a leak and flooding.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 198 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1