Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Front tyre Vs Back tyre collision

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  

smallfrowne
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:26 - 12 Oct 2015    Post subject: Front tyre Vs Back tyre collision Reply with quote

3rd Track day completed yesterday, lovely day for it as well. 1st ever proper off at speed too, track or road.

It all happened so fast, it was at the end of the start/finish straight going into the left hand bend - I was following a green bike and we both went wide to get round another bike I think. The memory gets hazy at this point but I'm 99% sure (according to my recollection which may be 100% wrong) the green bike went down with a low/high side or something and I went straight into him as he was on the ground. We both ended up sliding some way onto the grass and medical took him off for a look, I was fine. Marshals are a friendly bunch.

Oops. I probably shouldn't of been so close (although I wasn't right up his arse) and maybe I could of avoided him better if I had the skillz but I ended up going over his ankle, not that I knew it at the time. Once back in the paddock in the process stripping off the broken panels to get home (1.5hr ride Sad ) he came up to me and asked what happened (discharged from medical Smile ). He thought I hit his back end and took his rear tyre out.

This set the niggling doubt in my mind that maybe I did, even though I'm sure he'd lost it before I ended up going into him. From watching moto gp and the like the commentators always mention that the front wheel always loses out the the back tyre of the leading rider in confrontations, how true is this? Though I know anything is possible Very Happy

Anyway the day was a good laugh and I managed to get home with twisted forks and broken r/h footrest, he didn't seem too peeved by it (perhaps a little) and was limping but upright, and was with a gaggle of mates and a van - who kept asking me questions as though he couldn't of done anything wrong, but then maybe he didn't, I don't know anymore. I wish I'd of asked the people watching at the side if anybody had any footage but I was more worried about getting home, oh and finding my gloves, which I think some nob has run off with.

https://i.imgur.com/fegQaWbl.jpg

Also the other thing to note is that No Limits were happy to lend me any tool I needed to get the bike roadworthy again, and I think the Cod Father was about to lend me a pair of gloves before I mentioned I had a spare (It was bloody freezing in the morning).

Either way if it was my fault or not, sorry about the leg Mr Green Bike Man, speedy recovery Thumbs Up

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:55 - 12 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor obs. You went off in sympathy by the sound of it.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:39 - 12 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slacker24seven wrote:
Poor obs. You went off in sympathy by the sound of it.

+1 to this. Target fixation.

Look to the inside of your sliding friend, as when someone low sides they tend to get dropped off on the outside of the track.

And on the rubbish spouted on MotoGP about front wheel losing to backwheel. One losing to the other has little to do with it. It's more that it's far easier to save the rear when it loses grip (for whatever reason) than it is to save a front end slide.

Number of rear end spins/slides saved = many
Number of rear end slide crashes = 2
Number of front end slides saved = 3 (more luck than judgement)
Number of front end slide crashes = 2

smallfrowne
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:27 - 13 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor obs, target fixation.. I'm ticking these off the list Very Happy

Definitely should've gone to the inside like you say, I can just about remember the split second decision and I didn't do too well, probably went for the outside which was my first intention all along. My reactions aren't too good. Maybe I was thinking of days of thunder at the time, "stay high" Very Happy

And thanks, that makes sense I suppose about the front vs back.

Last edited by smallfrowne on 16:37 - 14 Oct 2015; edited 1 time in total

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:01 - 13 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the other guy wearing hi-vis?

smallfrowne
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 08:19 - 13 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

... If only he was. Thumbs Up

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:59 - 17 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you will never know.

Next time run a gopro (or similar) Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 164 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1