Zero Motorcycles Announces 2016 Bikes.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

Codezombie
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:13 - 04 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:

This time of year could be interesting on an electric bike - I bet the heated grips seriously reduce the range.

I'll take your money. Smile
I've got a pair on my Zero, they barely impact on the range, when the motor is sucking up about 5-8kW a few hundred watts on grips is small change.
(Same reason the bike has a regular halogen bulb instead of an LED one. The power savings are so minimal you'd barely get a few extra meters of range.)

Cadbury
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:57 - 06 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite like the idea of an electric bike, irrelevant of the practicalities (although charging up for pennies is nice) Makes me feel all futuristic like.. Very Happy

The Zero fzs, and the ktm freeride e-sm are on my list of looking at in 2016. If the electric vehicle grant does come in for bikes to get those prices closer to the 6-7k rather than 8+ I'd be tempted.
I'd keep my cbf1000 as my commuter and the electric bike as a weekend thing. Yes, I know, it doesn't make sense...
Are the batteries on the zeros removable? So could I ride to work, stick the battery under my desk on a slow charge and ride back in the evening, or does it need to be charged in situ?

Codezombie
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:11 - 09 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cadbury wrote:
I quite like the idea of an electric bike, irrelevant of the practicalities (although charging up for pennies is nice) Makes me feel all futuristic like.. Very Happy

The Zero fzs, and the ktm freeride e-sm are on my list of looking at in 2016. If the electric vehicle grant does come in for bikes to get those prices closer to the 6-7k rather than 8+ I'd be tempted.
I'd keep my cbf1000 as my commuter and the electric bike as a weekend thing. Yes, I know, it doesn't make sense...
Are the batteries on the zeros removable? So could I ride to work, stick the battery under my desk on a slow charge and ride back in the evening, or does it need to be charged in situ?

The batteries are easily removable on the FX & FXS and from what I've heard can be charged off the bike, the batteries on the rest of the bikes are simply too large to remove.

In your price range, there is also a second hand Ex-Police Zero-DS being sold at Streetbike for £6.5k. Apparently they had four the other week, but three have gone already. However that's the Zero-DS which does not have removable batteries.

Streetbikes mail shot including their on the road prices.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2murzgchp2jxtob/Zero%20Mail%20out%20Oct%202015.docx?dl=0

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:28 - 09 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly wish them the best of luck, and they're certainly saying the right things, but my take-away from that mailshot is that I live far too far away from the single seller of electric bikes. Too far to try and buy, too far for warranty work, too far to trade in.

As Yamaha look to have reneged on the PES/PED bikes, and BMW only do that £13K+ scootay, I'm not seeing much hope for a mass market bike.

An electric Lexmoto might be intriguing, mind.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:17 - 10 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

An electric Lexmoto might be intriguing, mind.

I would love to see an electric plug-in motor (with basic batteries) in a cub style format, which should allow you to fairly quickly swap in electric power to a wide range of bikes.

stunthamster
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:34 - 11 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'll fess up, and say I've just put down some cash for a 2015 model (Got a reasonable discount that brought it sub 9k after trade in). For my commute it's got the range, and after test riding one, it was a right giggle. For me, the lack of vibration and noise is great for whistling down Suffolk country lanes.

Amusingly, my KTM duke 390 has decided to die the very day I agreed the trade in, and is enjoying a brief laydown back at the dealer Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Codezombie
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:18 - 12 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you gone for, the SR?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:38 - 12 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

In July 2015 stunthamster wrote:
My 390 is just going in for it's 9k service, and so far, trouble free.

In November 2015 stunthamster wrote:
Amusingly, my KTM duke 390 has decided to die the very day I agreed the trade in, and is enjoying a brief laydown back at the dealer Sad

Just keeping our records straight. Wink

stunthamster
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:27 - 12 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I can join the not so exclusive club of pissed off 390 owners. Turns out it was one of the cables rubbed through and shorting out on the frame; TBH, looking at some of the cables, I'm not surprised. Shame, lovely bike to ride, but not the greatest build quality.

I went for the SR. I could have saved some money and got the S, but what the hell, if your going to make a dubious and slightly insane purchase, you may as well go all in!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kovy
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:21 - 25 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

i drove the dsr... i have always been fan of gasoline engines untill i drove zero. that torque and that acceleration... wow simply amazing. no shifting, no clutch only throttle and brakes.

but unfortunately on my opinion their build quality is not very good. plastic covers look like plastics on china made scooters.

as far as motor goes... fantastic, but their build quality is not at the same level as major motorcycles brands... yet Smile

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:54 - 25 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

kovy wrote:
i drove the dsr... i have always been fan of gasoline engines untill i drove zero. that torque and that acceleration... wow simply amazing.

Have you ridden a modern litre bike?
In first gear, once you're rolling with a few revs most will lift the front with a flick of the throttle in first gear at any point, with first gear often hitting 100mph on the clocks - physics would suggest the zero's will be slower not faster.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:43 - 25 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

So GSXR1000 is also the ideal bike for zipping down the Suffolk country lanes, as well as the city commute too?

What sprocket sizes would be best for the purpose, you might as well give the OP the optimum gearing ratio as well as identifying the optimum bike too! Wink

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:56 - 25 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a boring bike with a flat power delivery that you don't need to change gears on country lanes... pretty good, actually Wink... same reasons it's a good commuter. No need to change gearing from stock for this. Added bonus that you've got six more gears above the one of the zero and it doesn't have a problem sustaining max (possible) speed in any of them if desired Smile.

kovy
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:30 - 26 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:

Have you ridden a modern litre bike?
In first gear, once you're rolling with a few revs most will lift the front with a flick of the throttle in first gear at any point, with first gear often hitting 100mph on the clocks - physics would suggest the zero's will be slower not faster.

actually i have hypermotard 796 which is very fat bike, as you said, it will hit the 100mph pretty fast...

but i think you get your physics wrong... any gear shifting is losing time and for your acceleration the torque is needed. in modern bikes you need to rev your bike at really high revs to move fast. at low revs you dont have the torque to accelerate very fast. thats why engineers invented transmission so you have your torque curve optimized for your speed.

you dont need any of that in electric bikes. i am not saying here that zeros bikes are equal fast, but when you notice that zero has 50 electric HP and when it goes to acceleration it can compare to 100+ gasoline HP.

what i am trying to say is that electric motors are far more efficient and powerful than gasoline motor. just look at holly trinity(mclaren P1, LaFerrari and 918) compared with 1000+ HP Bugatti veyron. Veyron is annihalated...

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:10 - 26 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't call the 796 'fat' Wink - it's quite light weight actually; though not very powerful to make up for that, especially with the rather poor aerodynamics, meaning it's slow compared to sports bikes as far as overall acceleration etc goes.

A modern litre bike doesn't need to shift gears before it gets to over the top speed of the zero, so nothing will be lost in shifting in comparison.
Having ridden bikes of similar stature/aerodynamics, I'd be confident that 50hp will be starting to seriously suffer from aerodynamic losses as the speed improves, while the litre bike will be accelerating at a similar rate at 90mph to 10mph. The litre bike is limited by the front wheel coming up, while at that kinda speed a 50hp tall bike will be using most of it's power to overcome aerodynamic resistance.
The litre bike can do a wheelie at any point you open the throttle harder. No more torque than that is needed - all that more torque would offer you is a higher/easier wheelie.

Remember a 100hp sports bike would be setup to typically change gear at 75mph. The DSR is listed as 3.9 seconds 0-60, while sports 600s are typically listed at around 3 seconds. I couldn't find a standing quarter time, but I'm sure the electric bike will be well behind by that point.

Having a high revving engine with a wide spread of power doesn't make up for not having power in the first place.

The P1 makes 9/10 of the power of a Veyron, but is 7/10 or so of the weight. The Ferrari weighs less than that and makes even more power than the Veyron. The German's stats aren't quite as favourable, but still better power/weight.

As far as 'efficiency' goes, it depends on what sort of efficiency you are talking - if it's fueling speed, they're terrible, of course. If it's powerline, yes it's pretty good, but of course you're starting with a massively inefficient storage method on a power/weight basis.

kovy
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:55 - 26 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
I wouldn't call the 796 'fat' Wink - it's quite light weight actually; though not very powerful to make up for that, especially with the rather poor aerodynamics, meaning it's slow compared to sports bikes as far as overall acceleration etc goes.

A modern litre bike doesn't need to shift gears before it gets to over the top speed of the zero, so nothing will be lost in shifting in comparison.
Having ridden bikes of similar stature/aerodynamics, I'd be confident that 50hp will be starting to seriously suffer from aerodynamic losses as the speed improves, while the litre bike will be accelerating at a similar rate at 90mph to 10mph. The litre bike is limited by the front wheel coming up, while at that kinda speed a 50hp tall bike will be using most of it's power to overcome aerodynamic resistance.
The litre bike can do a wheelie at any point you open the throttle harder. No more torque than that is needed - all that more torque would offer you is a higher/easier wheelie.

Remember a 100hp sports bike would be setup to typically change gear at 75mph. The DSR is listed as 3.9 seconds 0-60, while sports 600s are typically listed at around 3 seconds. I couldn't find a standing quarter time, but I'm sure the electric bike will be well behind by that point.

Having a high revving engine with a wide spread of power doesn't make up for not having power in the first place.

The P1 makes 9/10 of the power of a Veyron, but is 7/10 or so of the weight. The Ferrari weighs less than that and makes even more power than the Veyron. The German's stats aren't quite as favourable, but still better power/weight.

As far as 'efficiency' goes, it depends on what sort of efficiency you are talking - if it's fueling speed, they're terrible, of course. If it's powerline, yes it's pretty good, but of course you're starting with a massively inefficient storage method on a power/weight basis.

lol i actually wrote fat Smile wanted to write fast Smile

and i think u got my message wrong... electric bikes are limited by their batteries. they are optimized for riding 100+ miles. if we can get over this limitation performance of electric bikes will be much much much better than performance of litre engine.

918 has most electric HP and it is the fastest of them all on quarter mile and on track. for reaching top speed u need big number of HP, thats why 918 is struggeling there. but you need a lot of torque for acceleration. litre engine has very non-linear torque curve.

and just look what we are comparing. 50HP electric bike 3.9s, 100HP litre engine 3 seconds. And DSR is not even a true sports bike. Has a top speed at around 100mph.

yeah efficiency. in every single point electric motor is far more efficient (world record for electric motor has 96% efficiency compared to around 40-45% on litre engine) so what you said there is kinda not true. As i said when the industry makes better batteries litre engine will have no chance at all. and dont take me wrong, i love the sound of a two stroke ducati engine but when it comes to performance electric motor will soon outperform litre engine

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:40 - 26 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I well understand electric bikes are limited by batteries. Which is why I think something like these Zero models seems pretty silly.

My original point was that the torque/acceleration of these bikes isn't particularly amazing.
Yes, I suppose it's not entirely fair to compare them to more powerful bikes that cost a third of the amount - maybe I should be thinking S1000RR rather than GSXR1000 to make it 'fairer'? Smile

I would suggest 918 advantages come from AWD rather than the type of horses. Power=torque*rpm. You could have a bagzillion torques, but if it's at 0.0001rpm, it will be dog-slow. You need to know the rpm for gearing etc, which gives us... power!
According to autocar the P1 is .3s quicker to 100 and .2 over the quarter mile. It also has 8cm less tyre width overall.

As far as drive train, yes. Efficent. But why does that matter, apart from for marketing?
It's very efficient at transmitting an incredibly inefficent power storage solution to the tyres.
As an idea, for home heating; electric heating is 100% efficent. That's massively more than using gas and so on. Why don't people use electric? Because per kwh gas is much cheaper, so being ineffcient isn't an issue. Further, it's much easier to transfer large amounts of gas.
A couple of 80kw gas combi boilers in a large house is fine.
Try and continuously use 666A (160kw @ 240v) through a domestic power connection and you're likely to be having some issues!

I worked out the power needs to recharge an electric bike in a similar sort of time to an ICE bike in another thread. Lets say you have the sort of capacitor storage that can be charged as quickily as you'd like. You'd need a massive cable and the sort of power output that a dedicated power station the size of a medium barn would provide.
We're talking the sort of currents that'd vapourise your bike pretty quickly if it went wrong.

Never heard a 2 stroke Ducati myself. Much prefer moddern bikes in general. (Did you mean 2 cylinder - aka wet-fart-sound?)

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:58 - 26 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

kovy wrote:
electric motors are far more [...] powerful than gasoline motor.

Is it true that they make 5 quarter turns for every circle that an ICE engine makes?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 146 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3