BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Derbi terra need help plleeaassee

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:54 - 27 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call the dealer, say you are rejecting it.

I hope you haven't fucked it, but if you have just come clean Laughing Either way, welcome to a world of pain.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:29 - 27 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worst case, OP will have learned an expensive but invaluable lesson about exactly how much "peace of mind" dealer price buys you.

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:04 - 27 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the off chance this is for real.....any way you can check if you actually have an oil pressure problem?

you could buy a gauge and test it, or take it to bike mechanic and get them to test it, wouldn't cost much or final option is buy a new oil pressure switch and fit it see what happens.

if you have genuine low oil pressure...get it given back, it is your right.

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:56 - 27 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the dealer sold the bike but it needed a service, why did he not do one before selling it? IMHO he will cure the oil light fault by cutting a wire or taking a bulb out during the "service".

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:30 - 27 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO he'll tell OP to sod off or he'll set Mr Grip and Mr Fang from Customer Services on him.

Please let it be Vinny Candelin. Praying

Sdrobo
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:44 - 29 Jan 2016    Post subject: Derbi terra need help plleeaassee Reply with quote

Quote:
I've changed the filter and oil and the light hasn't been on since but I've only been for a ten mile ride and thanks guys cor putting up with me while I was in a cuffule about it lol anyway I have the opportunity to swap it a 1990 decent nick dtr what's your thoughts which is the better of the two bikes I know you can't see them both but I mean genareley ?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:09 - 29 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, good news. What colour and condition was the oil that came out?

Sdrobo
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:36 - 29 Jan 2016    Post subject: Derbi terra need help plleeaassee Reply with quote

I've changed the filter and put a litre and 200ml of motul 300v 5w40 4t motorcycle oil it's took the light out but only been for a 10 mile ride so fingers crossed and thanks to you guys for putting up with me when I was in a caffufle anyhow I've been covered w decent 1990 Yamaha dtr with 10 month mot so just wondering what your thoughts are I've never had any issues with Yamaha's and it's a mature owner who has not rotated power valve and it still has standard exhaust on it so would you get rid for the dtr ?

Sdrobo
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:39 - 29 Jan 2016    Post subject: Derbi terra need help plleeaassee Reply with quote

Didn't realize I sent the message twice and the oil was black well as here to black as can be

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:41 - 29 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seem to have the mechanical ability of a banana so no, keep the 4 stroke.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:27 - 29 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Derbi's engine sounds sweet, and the oil light never so much as flickers again while it's running, I'd keep it. Why chop it in for another unknown quantity?

Sdrobo
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:11 - 29 Jan 2016    Post subject: Derbi terra Reply with quote

Lol your a funny guy I may well not be near any of you guys when it comes to these new 4v 4t water cooled engines but put a 2t in front of me I can have barrel of bolts out split cases put one half at a time in oven then drive old bearings out with a big socket then freeze your bearings re heat cases drop them in let them cool put new oil seals in then once you've got you're gear box and shifter folks in the right place put a thin smear af three bond round where the cases will meet get rubber mallet drive it all home make sure you had you counter balance shaft correct keep it all true go up and down through your gears as long as you put your shims etc in the right place put piston cylinder and head back on like a new engine I'm not a yoof I'm 35 yr old just don't know that much about 4 strokes especially the new ones but I'm picking it up thanks to you guys if you read my profile you will see I had a real bad accident and forgot more than I remember but I'm getting there but everyone has problems and again I really really appreciate the help and advice

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:24 - 29 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sdrobo's Public Bio wrote:
Sdrobo hasn't written a bio

What are you doing wasting time on a tiddler?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:30 - 29 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then why the fuck are you querying us on an oil light on a 4 stroke.

If you are a 2 stroke wiz.... you must understand a basic engine. Laughing

Sdrobo
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:26 - 31 Jan 2016    Post subject: Derbi terra need help plleeaassee Reply with quote

True I can see how your looking at it well some of you anyway.
The truth of the matter yes I am quite good with 2 strokes but there simple engines and 99% of them don't have lol pressure lights on them in fact around 50% of all bikes don't have em and like I have said from the beginning I listen and appreciate all your help and advise and k changed oil filter and oil and the light didn't come on but I've now been out on it twice and the light is back flickers now and then but only at tickover ? Any one got any advise on what next it seems to be running ok

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:32 - 31 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what else we can say. Oil pressure light could be a symptom of serious bottom end issues. I'd be taking it up with the trader.

You could try changing the pressure switch, but in all honesty the more you fuck about with it the more grounds the trader has to ignore you.

Sdrobo
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:03 - 31 Jan 2016    Post subject: derbi Terra Reply with quote

I have tryd to reject it but the trader is a complete twat I cant take it back to ram it down his throat as he delivered it all I've managed to get from him was at first change oil and filter and senser and ill foot the bill so I said fuck that for me to lose more money so he then says its a good bike ill give you £100 for the bits so I took that and I hope he looks on here so I can tell him he's a no good fucking cowerd wont even come to face me knowing full well I cant get to him so he has now come out with does the bike run ,yes , does the gearbox work as it should,yes, does the light go out when you ride it ,yes obviously anything over tickover it goes out , so then he said well there for there's nothing wrong with the bike if and a big if it blows up and leaves you at the side of the road then ring me , he is so fucking frustrating I can't get to him anyway sorry guys so what's this try altering a sender ?

Sdrobo
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:45 - 01 Feb 2016    Post subject: Sorry Reply with quote

Sorry about that guys just burnt my head out well I'm back to my self now any advise ?

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:29 - 03 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any advice? Yes!

Before pressing the submit button on your next post, read what you have written out loud. Every time you pause to take a breath, or for emphasis, use a comma. At the end of a sentence use a full stop.

When you're changing subject slightly, skip a line.

I'm really not trying to be pedantic or offensive (as you seem to genuinely want help), but your writing is atrocious and people are struggling to give you the advice you are because they can't make sense of the question!

Sdrobo
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 01:18 - 04 Feb 2016    Post subject: Derbi terra Reply with quote

Thankyou and sorry .I'm not the best at righting and reading but will try my hardest to do it better by using your advice.

Take a breath and have a good look and think as I'm writing.

Anyway let me know if I'm doing any better and if I can write something readable.

I even went as far and showed it to my brother and he said yes and laughed I can read it but its like doing a puzzle.lol

And now you have made me aware of this I may now be able to get the answers and advice I've been looking for.

So here is where I'm at at the moment. The trader isn't helping or having none of it. All I get is questions like does it ride. And I answer yes . Then he'll say does the gearbox work as it should. Yes does the light go out when you ride it. Yes

Well then there's nothing wrong with it. As he delivered I couldn't confront him.so I settled for his offer of £100 to change oil and filter .basically a service and he said that would do it well it did for about half mile.

So now I've been doing some research.and I've found either oil pressure sensor or ill pressure release valve been stuck open .

That's where I'm at so I'm ordering a new sensor first and trying that.

Failing that its the pressure release valve but you have to remove the clutch cover drain coolant remove clutch etc to get to it.

The only other thought I've had is to buy a k&n high flow oil filter?

I also cant seem to find where to buy the sump plug new o ring,gasket and the same for the filter cover as I have a little leak and with the light staying off till I took it for a ride and the pressure had built up then the leak was a drip every few seconds.

So I'm hoping a high flow filter new o rings,gaskets will do the trick.along with a new sensor. Oh yeah whilst I'm giving it doing this service I would like to check tappet's,valve clearance. I no how to do them on the push rod engine with the feeler gauge and the screw adjustment tops with lock nuts.

What's the difference how does the procedure go. And if I'm off on anything or there is better ways or different things to start with.

I need all the help I can get I don't think I'm getting anywhere with that dealer. The log book came through today I was waiting for it as I know it has the former keepers details on it.But it wasn't his it was the owner of the bike previous to the dealers apparently they don't put the dealer down as a keeper so I've read.

I hope you can read and understand me a little better. And hope I get some more of that help you were trying to give from the start.

To a load of gibberish lol.

Thanks guys

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:17 - 04 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much better Thumbs Up

The law doesn't change just because the dealer is being unhelpful, if the bike is faulty you are legally entitled to reject it. He can say 'no' all he likes, it basically comes down to you to start legal proceedings. If you're lucky, a 'letter before action' is sometimes enough to get them to realise you aren't a pushover.

It is generally accepted that if the oil light comes on with the engine running, the damage is already done. This is why people are suggesting you reject the bike. You may get lucky, it might be a faulty sensor, it's not a risk I'd take on a new bike though. A dealership charges you more than a private seller, partly because they're expected to deal with these sorts of issues.

I'm unsure where you stand on the rejection point now that you've done some work to the bike. It's still the path I'd be looking at in your shoes though!

As for the servicing. Off the top of my head I don't know of any 125s that use shims rather than tappets, so the process will be pretty similar to what you've done on a push rod engine. From memory the rockers just rest on the cams rather than rods. It's been nearly 10 years since I had a small bike engine apart so it's probably worth double checking all the same.

You've mentioned a few times that there are people on here who you can get good mechanical advice from, believe me, I do not count myself amoungst that number.

Since you're pretty new here, do yourself a favour before following too much info from Internet strangers and just double check what you're told by anybody on the forum, I've seen some pretty appalling suggestions in the past.

There are probably half a dozen people on here who's advice I would follow without (much) questioning, but you need to make that judgement for yourself.

Sdrobo
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:37 - 04 Feb 2016    Post subject: Derbi terra Reply with quote

Thankyou you have been more than helpful

I don't know how I can send a letter before action.As i don't no his address so i feel kinda stuck

I've been doing a little more research this morning and Google,d what does it mean if the oil light stays on even when full on a 2010 Derbi terra 125 ? .

I've tryd all different combination's to get some useful information. Like what if oil pressure light stays on. Anyway this is where I found an interesting topic after typing the above on Google

Oil light Sad 125cc sportsbikes forum

That's which one has the topic could you have a read and tell me what you think if you get time .

As at the beginning they say it usually means oil light on a 4t engine bye bye

Its a topic that was started very similar to my own on a different forum some time ago.But as you read the topic there are a number of people saying thay have the same problem on the same bike. Or one that uses the same engine

And some say its been that way since brand new so I'm slightly confused.So if you have time could you have a read and let me no what you think

Thanks and thanks again for the advice on my writing as I have noticed a difference. When I even read it myself [/u]

Doovy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:45 - 04 Feb 2016    Post subject: Re: Derbi terra Reply with quote

Sdrobo wrote:

Oil light Sad 125cc sportsbikes forum

This one.

Sdrobo
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:08 - 04 Feb 2016    Post subject: oops Reply with quote

Sorry my bad

I just googled it and it came up but it wasn't the same layout as this one?

Have you seen what I'm on about?

Sdrobo
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:16 - 04 Feb 2016    Post subject: Derbi terra need help plleeaassee Reply with quote

It doesn't read like that the face is made with : and ( .

But without the and in between so we to look like a sad face .But when I wrote it earlier it automatically made the proper face .

And at first I didn't get it when you put that I thought you meant it was of this forum.
I no I no I'm dum

Anyway I've tried to reject again with the dealer . As before he told me to do the oil change etc . And ic it didn't rid it contact him

Well he put the phone down then a message came through . If you want to speak with me /contact . Do it through a solicitor

Well I guess you can imagine how mad that got me . And above that as you no I was waiting for the log book as it has the previous owners details on .

Well it did but it is the previous owner before the trader I don't understand bow he's done it i think it must not count a trader as a previous owner. ?

Anyway I'm just going to have to suck it up and use it as a learning curve.

So need well just going to have to do it myself. Can anyone confirm how to adjust the valves / tappets on this . And any other help with what I have to deal with.

I'm going to complain but well ya no . But that aside I've met a decent set of people and I will keep coming on here now either for help or to help where I can ( 2t ) lol thanks guys
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 81 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3