Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bandit 600 MK2 Milage Altering

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

BenCooke
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:04 - 04 Jan 2016    Post subject: Bandit 600 MK2 Milage Altering Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm buying a Suzuki bandit 2000 Reg MK2, the bike has had 5 owners and apparently has 13000 miles. I'm just wondering if the mileage could have been altered as 13000 miles is very low for a bike of its age and for the amount of owners its had. If the mileage can be altered is there anyway I can check this?

Also while I'm on, can someone give me some information on what I should be looking for that could be knackered?
Cheers.
Ben.

chrisdubya
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:06 - 04 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try and find its MOT history, all mileage is logged on there. It can be viewed online, but you might need the V5 number

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:34 - 04 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

In b4 the "Don't trust a low mileage bike" brigade.

The bike is 15 years old, so that means a new owner every 3 years and a bit under 1k miles per year. IMO that is not particularly unusual or anything to worry about as long as you verify the mileage through the service history/receipts/MOTs. As said, you can check MOT history online but it may not show all recorded mileages for each year.

Take a look anywhere there are bikes for sale and you will find many bikes around that age with similar mileage.

BenCooke
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:52 - 04 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replying I will see if I can find it MOT history online, the seller assures me he has a lot of paper work including past MOT's. Thanks lads!

BenCooke
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:01 - 04 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked it there and the MOT history and milage checks out! thanks for the advice!

hmmmnz
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:18 - 06 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 98 mk1 has 16000 miles
so less than 900 miles a year.

roughly the same as yours,

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

Sean.S
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 01:22 - 07 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

bikes dont usually get the same milage of a car the same age, i went to view a few 90s sports bikes last year and they all had under 20k. i wouldnt see it as suspicious

sean

Az
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:27 - 07 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenCooke wrote:
Hi,
I'm buying a Suzuki bandit 2000 Reg MK2, the bike has had 5 owners and apparently has 13000 miles. I'm just wondering if the mileage could have been altered as 13000 miles is very low for a bike of its age and for the amount of owners its had. If the mileage can be altered is there anyway I can check this?

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history - go on this site, enter reg' and check the mileage matches the bike. It's probably legit, the last two bikes I bought have been 2003 models and both had under 10k on.

BenCooke wrote:
Also while I'm on, can someone give me some information on what I should be looking for that could be knackered?
Cheers.
Ben.

-Collector box tends to rust and leaves a nice hole.
-Suspension and brakes aren't great from standard, so if they haven't been looked after they'll be terrible by now.
-The finish isn't good, check for rust and if you do buy it treat it with ACF50.
-Then check the usual; tyres, headstock bearings, wheel bearings, meat on pads, discs not warped, fork seals aren't leaking, chain and sprockets not too worn etc etc

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:03 - 14 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOT History and HPI. Digital clocks are hard to tamper, but can be swapped, but there would be a DVLA or MOT record of a higher mileage if MOT'd or sold with more miles on it than it has now.

My 2002 bandit had 7600 miles on it when i bought it in december. Appears to have consistently done a a few hundred miles a year for the past few years. Has 9k on it now. Laughing

Bought by noobs as a first bike after DAS or as a workhorse commuter.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:13 - 14 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anything, digital odometers in general are easier to clock than mechanical ones (search for odometer correction - obviously you'd only do this if you have changed the speedo so need to "correct" the replacement). If you have the kit for your bike/car, you could even roll it back every year before MOT time just by plugging in the tool and pressing a couple of buttons so that the MOT record shows a consistent rate of use.

I'd not particularly disbelieve 13K on that bike though, dependent upon condition.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 72 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1