Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Mint Suzuki GP125

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

bignige
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:42 - 17 Jan 2016    Post subject: Mint Suzuki GP125 Reply with quote

Hi

I have chance to buy this fully restored GP125. It is a 1982 model, one owner and 6,000 miles from new.

Full restoration. Any idea what it is worth please?

N[/img]

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:16 - 17 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worth whatever you want to pay for it and no, that isn't a smartarse answer.

The owner probably thinks it's worth whatever he's spent on it, plus a bit, plus another bit 'cos mint classic innit'; my guess would be £2K ish, maybe a shade more if he's got particularly large cojones.

The trade probably think it's worth comfortably the right side of a grand.

So the truth lies somewhere between the two, as a private sale.

Why do you want to buy it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:41 - 17 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's genuinely mint then I guess it would be slightly less that the equivalent 2016 bike would cost you. That makes the 2k estimate pretty close IMO (although I reckon the owner may want even more..)

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:04 - 18 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one new back in the 1980s for £599 if I recall. Cracking little bike, especially when you take out the piece of plastic that restricts the carb. 15bhp and 80mph downhill...

What's it worth? Probably £1,500 if it really is mint, but I would ask about that rev counter cable...

bignige
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:51 - 18 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
I bought one new back in the 1980s for £599 if I recall. Cracking little bike, especially when you take out the piece of plastic that restricts the carb. 15bhp and 80mph downhill...

What's it worth? Probably £1,500 if it really is mint, but I would ask about that rev counter cable...

Cheers all.

I am after the bike as I am 55 this year and I had one of these back in my youth (after a Fizzy) and I suppose I am late going through a mid-life crisis and have some spare cash! I also believe that the bike will appreciate in value?

I don't know anything about bike mechanics etc - can you explain what you mean by 'I would ask about that rev counter cable'?

Thanks very much.

N

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:06 - 18 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - speedo cable. Its missing.

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:01 - 20 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

bignige wrote:

I don't know anything about bike mechanics etc - can you explain what you mean by 'I would ask about that rev counter cable'?

Thanks very much.

N

If you look at the front wheel by the fork leg there is a collar that holds the speedo cable in place, which is empty
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:00 - 20 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have a look at the mainstand spring too.

Chain is so slack, it's missing.

Moxey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:54 - 21 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend got given one of these in 2010 with about 200 miles on the clock, it was immaculate, he sold it with 3000 miles for £400 a year later and still I'm good condition....£1000+ Shocked 2T commuters must be getting the rose tinted spectacles effect!

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:18 - 21 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a mint resto and MOT'd but maybe just needs a few details finishing off and a shakedown, then I'd say £1000-1250 is fair for the model of bike.

They are not that popular or sought after, but then many small Suzuki's suffer in that respect in the wake of RD everything. A really nice clean 125Gamma is worth about £1100-1400, so a GP125 has to be less logically.

If you want one and like the bike you should get it, it won't lose any money and will be fun and cheap to run. Spares shouldn't be any problem compared to racier bikes that were thrown down the road and chopped about in the day too.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:42 - 21 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't call that fully restored. It's hard to tell from the one photo but it looks like the handlebars, spokes, kickstart and rear springs have silver paint on them.

It's tidy yes, restored no.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:10 - 09 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first bike on the road when I was 17 was a 1986 GP125, paid £250 for it in 2000. Two years later I was going down the dual carriageway and the engine made some noises and it never went over 40mph again Laughing I sold it for £80.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

evoboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:06 - 09 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never trust a bike that's been 'fully restored' unless you know the person who did the job.

Be even more careful with a 2stroke.

APT Motorcycles
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 78 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1