Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Anyone here run a cnc wood router?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:53 - 10 Feb 2016    Post subject: Anyone here run a cnc wood router? Reply with quote

I need some parts cut from MDF. Should all come from half a sheet or thereabouts.

Is there any member here could cut me some bits then post them to me?

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ride_to_die
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:13 - 11 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a fair distance away from you but if you're really struggling and can get me the mdf and some dxfs, I'll cut it depending on the complexity. I've access to a couple of cnc machines.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 19:28 - 11 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

How big are the pieces? I'm fairly close to Pete, so can get them to him without too much hassle. However, there are three things to consider:
One, the size of the machine - it's a 1200*1200 cutting bed, although I usually run it with a sacrificial bed of 900*900
Two, whether MDF is really the best material, because
Three, I've been signed of work for a month as a result of poor fume extraction from the laser cutters I also operate.

I also have a tiny baby CNC router at home (with a 4th axis spindle) that I'm in the process of retrofitting with USB-compliant control electronics, that can probably be pressed into doing small parts sooner than I'd originally planned for.

mpd72 - the only real way of getting the templates into a file that the CNC machines will understand is by measuring them, lots. Personally, I'd run with doing a crude measurement pass, blocking out the shape in some CAD software, and then refining it progressively - it means that you're guaranteed to have something to work from at all points in the transcription process.

As a final caveat to all of this, once I'm back at work, I'm trying to get them to buy a proper 3000*2000 CNC router, so it can process whole sheets in a single pass, as opposed to the limited scope I have at my disposal at the moment.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:55 - 11 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggest piece would be 200x1100mm, so not that large or heavy. MDF because it has a good smooth finish and easy to hand-finish to shape.

I can't draw 3d models in CAD but I can in sketchup. Are they difficult to convert?

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 20:10 - 11 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sketchup produces some really shonky 3D geometry. It'll work, if what you're after doesn't have any fine details in it, but it's the 3D equivalent of designing on the back of a napkin.
Provided you can save the 3D file as an .stl or .obj it should work fine, although I'd appreciate having the 2D CAD drawings to go with them, just in case there are any weird scaling artefacts to contend with.

What's the thickness?

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:30 - 11 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

12mm and 18mm I think. I can draw 2d cad just not 3d, or at least I haven't learned to yet.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:42 - 11 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

I'm converting a VW Transporter into a camervan. As it was a T5 LWB Shuttle the standard flat pack furniture will need doctoring to fit, so I want to make my own out of Superva or Vohringer gloss ply.

My plan is to mock up templetes in Correx plastic sheeting then use them to create a CAD or similar file that a CNC machine can use.

The question I'm a bit stuck about is how to convert the templates into a file that the CNC machine can use. Is there a way to scan the pieces in somehow?
If not, I'll have to draw out the cad files manually by contless measurements around each curved profile.

If you're making full size templates would it not be easier just to use them as guides and a router with a bearing guided cutter to cut the plywood without messing about with a cnc? Would save all that cad work.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:03 - 11 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
mpd72 wrote:

I'm converting a VW Transporter into a camervan. As it was a T5 LWB Shuttle the standard flat pack furniture will need doctoring to fit, so I want to make my own out of Superva or Vohringer gloss ply.

My plan is to mock up templetes in Correx plastic sheeting then use them to create a CAD or similar file that a CNC machine can use.

The question I'm a bit stuck about is how to convert the templates into a file that the CNC machine can use. Is there a way to scan the pieces in somehow?
If not, I'll have to draw out the cad files manually by contless measurements around each curved profile.

If you're making full size templates would it not be easier just to use them as guides and a router with a bearing guided cutter to cut the plywood without messing about with a cnc? Would save all that cad work.

Ordinarily yes, but I need two mirror-image parts.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:52 - 11 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was replying to mpd72 who seemed to be asking something different to your opening post. Sorry, thread derail over.
Out of curiosity, what is it you're making?

ScottT
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:01 - 12 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess i'm getting old, get some wood and a saw measure and cut them out.

Measure, make templates, convert into computer files then get a playstation to cut them out wtf!!!

This is why two 20 something lads that worked for me couldnt replace a lightbulb in the mens toilet recently, but they can do allsorts of thing on minecraft!!!!! No wonder Halfords can get away with charging to change light bulbs or wiperblades because a computer cant do it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:08 - 12 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScottT wrote:

Measure, make templates, convert into computer files then get a playstation to cut them out wtf!!!

This is why two 20 something lads that worked for me couldnt replace a lightbulb in the mens toilet recently, but they can do allsorts of thing on minecraft!!!!! No wonder Halfords can get away with charging to change light bulbs or wiperblades because a computer cant do it.

Seriously Rolling Eyes

Go and buy a sheet of mdf and try cutting 20 identical complex shapes out of it by hand and see if they all turn out exactly the same. Then let me know how long it took you.

Then we'll try the same thing with a cnc machine and compare the results.

Last edited by duhawkz on 09:47 - 12 Feb 2016; edited 1 time in total

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:32 - 12 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I asked what Pete was making.
It sounds like a somewhat complex 3D shape and its mirror image.
CNC is the way to go, especially if you're doing multiple items.

mpd72 was talking about fitting out a van. Seemed to me that if you're making full size templates that job would be quicker with a router using the templates and maybe a few jigs unless you're going full production of van conversion kits.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:56 - 12 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScottT wrote:

Sheesh grandad! In my day 'twere all fields, powdered egg or nothin' etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 15:40 - 12 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScottT wrote:
Atavistic bollocks
Sounds like someone's nervous at having their job replaced by a machine. Protip: your dipshit lads are a problem because you didn't have the wit to filter them out when interviewing for the job. It's got buggerall to do with the progress of manufacturing techniques.

ScottT
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:09 - 13 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
Sounds like someone's nervous at having their job replaced by a machine. Protip: your dipshit lads are a problem because you didn't have the wit to filter them out when interviewing for the job. It's got buggerall to do with the progress of manufacturing techniques.

My job isn't under threat from a machine, never will be, as for the 2 unable to change a lightbulb, it's not what they are employed to do, they do their real job well enough. But it's got everything to do with the fact that simple manual tasks are beyond far to many people these days. One of them has a wife and a kid, I asked him what happens when a light goes out at home, his reply "my dad comes and changes it"!!!

duhawkz wrote:

Seriously Rolling Eyes

Go and buy a sheet of mdf and try cutting 20 identical complex shapes out of it by hand and see if they all turn out exactly the same. Then let me know how long it took you.

If speed is the main issue then i agree with you, but people managed for 1000's of years to make identical items before cnc
For me it's a job satisfaction, being able to stand back and think I made that is a nice feeling, much more than thinking, well i switched the machine on!

I saw a post on another bike forum a few months ago, some bloke had restored a RD500YPVS in full Marlboro race rep colours, every single logo on the bike was painted on, every tiny detail was spot on, it must have taken him hours of careful masking, cutting, painting it looked amazing quality work.
I guess you would have just bought some stickers!

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:15 - 13 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScottT wrote:
nowhere.elysium wrote:

My job isn't under threat from a machine, never will be, as for the 2 unable to change a lightbulb, it's not what they are employed to do, they do their real job well enough. But it's got everything to do with the fact that simple manual tasks are beyond far to many people these days. One of them has a wife and a kid, I asked him what happens when a light goes out at home, his reply "my dad comes and changes it"!!!

duhawkz wrote:

Seriously Rolling Eyes

If speed is the main issue then i agree with you, but people managed for 1000's of years to make identical items before cnc
For me it's a job satisfaction, being able to stand back and think I made that is a nice feeling, much more than thinking, well i switched the machine on!

I saw a post on another bike forum a few months ago, some bloke had restored a RD500YPVS in full Marlboro race rep colours, every single logo on the bike was painted on, every tiny detail was spot on, it must have taken him hours of careful masking, cutting, painting it looked amazing quality work.

Depends who places a higher value on their time.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:23 - 13 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironic isn't it, that you're denegrating the use of technology in favour of a manual skill when the part I want to make is a casting pattern for a cast iron straight edge, which I need to hand-finish some parts flat, straight and parallel to better than a hundredth of a millimeter. I can't buy the tool I need so I'm going to have one cast for me and make it.

I have no woodworking skills to speak of and I can't afford to have that airborne sawdust in my workshop in amongst precision instruments that can register the bend in my workshop floor slab as I walk around, so I'm looking for the easiest way to get a pattern cut and a CNC router fits the bill.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:56 - 13 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScottT wrote:

Hours that were never spent on the original bike, which would of had decals.
There are plenty of people that enjoy the process of making something just for the sake of it. Good luck to them. I enjoy wood working, but I use the most effective methods, not always the most traditional and time consuming.
I've seen various YouTubes on home made cnc's and they take some skill to set up properly and get good results with. Brilliant bits of kit.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:06 - 13 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Ironic isn't it, that you're denegrating the use of technology in favour of a manual skill when the part I want to make is a casting pattern for a cast iron straight edge, which I need to hand-finish some parts flat, straight and parallel to better than a hundredth of a millimeter. I can't buy the tool I need so I'm going to have one cast for me and make it.

I have no woodworking skills to speak of and I can't afford to have that airborne sawdust in my workshop in amongst precision instruments that can register the bend in my workshop floor slab as I walk around, so I'm looking for the easiest way to get a pattern cut and a CNC router fits the bill.

ping warped a message he'll have it to with in 4 thou by eye

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:15 - 13 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:
Pete. wrote:

ping warped a message he'll have it to with in 4 thou by eye

I'm afraid warped would be no help here it's only 3 thou out to start with Very Happy

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 72 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1