Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Slicks for track day?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  

TCFA
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:22 - 13 Mar 2016    Post subject: Slicks for track day? Reply with quote

I'm doing a three day track day at Cadders in July on my CBR600F and wanted some advice on slicks.

It's not that I think that I will be amazing with some expensive slick rubber, or that I think my bridgestones won't cut it - it's more that I want to spare my expensive road tyres from 3 days on track!

So they don't have to be top spec, just good. And I suppose I ought to think about wets as well in case our great britsh summertime excels

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:37 - 13 Mar 2016    Post subject: Re: Slicks for track day? Reply with quote

Do you have spare wheels?

Keep an eye out for spare wheels with wets if you don't. Definitely useful to have and I'd worry about this first.

Remember you tend to use the sides of tyres more on track.

I definitely wouldn't go new - that's a bit of a false economy.

Second hand however, for a trackday "why not" for slicks.
I stuck some on my 675 for my last trackday and really liked the difference - I was instantly a chunk faster. However, part of that was probably just from putting on some hardly worn tyres replacing fairly knackered ones.

Do be aware that more grip can lead to problems happening at faster speeds - but also can help prevent problems in the first place.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:23 - 14 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you know this, but you need tyre warmers otherwise slicks won't really work. Plus you also need the pace to be able to keep heat in them throughout an entire session, which might be quicker than you think.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:26 - 14 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I assume you know this, but you need tyre warmers otherwise slicks won't really work. Plus you also need the pace to be able to keep heat in them throughout an entire session, which might be quicker than you think.

I've thought that in the past, but not really the case.

I did have tyre warmers that trackday, but at least one session went out without them and further there was some light rain at points that was keeping people on treaded tyres away! Slicks still did fine.

Slicks will get less heat into them from tread movement, but presuming you've not gone for a really hard compound, there should be plenty of opportunity for them to get hot.

And, if they're of a decent compound that grips well from cold (as I've found Supercorsas are Pilot races aren't) - you don't have the overly cautious few laps to get heat into them.

fozzym
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:58 - 16 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just pick up a decent set of race scrubs....I usually get Pirelli supercorsa sc1 / sc2, they'll cost you 80-100 quid and will easily do 3 days unless you are at the front of the fast group!

They can be picked up on ebay, most will be last seasons this time of year but that's fine. Racing is getting back underway now so this season's scrubs will be available soon enough.

Another good way to get hold of them is to turn up at a race meeting with cash in your pocket and have a gander around the paddock, there is always someone flogging tyres. And you get to choose the best!

You don't need a full slick and as you are talking 600 size (180 rear) slicks are hard to come by as nearly all the racing is done on treaded tyres (treaded in the loosest idea of the word!).

You can get away without warmers especially if it's a hot sunny day but they are worth while. They just mean you can be on it from the first lap rather than taking it 80% for 2 laps.

Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:51 - 16 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

My slicks cost me £80 as it goes too; in fairly decent nick.
But yes, there should be a lot more choice around for supercorsas and they should be just fine.

I do expect a good bit of the 'wow' feeling from the slick was from it being new tyres.
I was just about in the upper half of a fairly slow fast group that day. First time I'd ridden the track and pace was a good bit off how I have ridden in the past a good few years ago now.

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:43 - 16 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slicks aren't going to give you any real advantage over Supercorsa/Racetec. But there is detriment.

The great thing about the Supercorsa/Racetec is that you can use whatever remains on the road afterwards, the sides will be snot, but the middle bit will be as good as new!

The slicks will be track use only so you are not getting the same VFM.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 14 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1