BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Horses spooked by rider reving past them

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Found on the 'Net Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 21:04 - 18 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my entire time riding? Seen it happen many times actually. Not always when riding either, seen it in cars too.

gorillaonabik...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 02:48 - 02 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dick move by biker.

However, if a horse gets spooked by a car or motorbike on a road, then the owner shouldn't take the horse on the road.

All the filming horses I've encountered were perfectly fine around cars / bikes / lorries etc... In addition, the Met used to train horses in Hendon in the 70s and 80s (in my road) in heavy, London traffic and they were always fine.

Getting the animal under control means training it to a high enough standard that it can be taken on the road. Otherwise, don't take it on the road.
FZR400 (blown engine), ZXR750 (blown engine), ZX6R (accident), CBR600 which had engine issues after which I learned to change gear..., CBR900, CBR924 (stolen), CB600, CB1300 (everything blew up), BMW K1300GT (written off, hit from rear while stationary), Bandit 1250 for a couple of months, Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (nicked) and somewhere in there, I wrote off a Ducati 748 at Cadwell.

Last edited by gorillaonabike on 11:50 - 13 Jun 2016; edited 1 time in total

DieselASFC
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 08:54 - 02 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

gorillaonabike wrote:
Dick move by biker.

However, if a horse gets spooked by a car or motorbike on a road, then the owner shouldn't take the horse on the road.

All the filming horses I've encountered were perfectly fine around cars / bikes / lorries etc... In addition, the Met used to train horses in Hendon in the 70s and 80s (in my road) in heavy, London traffic and they were always fine.

Too many horse owner idiots take the line of their dear fucking animal gets spooked by motorbikes / lorries / plastic bags / a leaf etc... That's because too many horse owners have low training standards and want the rest of the world to compensate.

Getting the animal under control means training it to a high enough standard that it can be taken on the road. Otherwise, don't take it on the road.

What a crock of shit. Horses are fully entitled to be on the road. The biker was a complete bellend, and I imagine a lot of horses, trained or not, would have reacted badly to that sudden rev bomb. It might be well trained and used to traffic, but that would shit most animals or people up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:42 - 02 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

gorillaonabike wrote:
Dick move by biker.

Too many horse owner idiots take the line of their dear fucking animal gets spooked by motorbikes / lorries / plastic bags / a leaf etc... That's because too many horse owners have low training standards and want the rest of the world to compensate.

We've all been the road, when unexpectedly been overtaken by a loud bike/car, and it has made us jump as the noise and object zooms past.

Thing is, a horse does more damage when you spook it.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:52 - 02 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me and my brother were walking down a country path on Saturday. Horse comes over the horizon at a good canter, straight towards us. Looked sort of Lord of The Rings-esque.

Horse slows down, rider shifts to the side through a gap in the hedge so they're on the small road that lines the path and waits for us. We we walk past.

Passing the horse, it gets spooked, does that 'horses raising its head and trampling its hooves' thing, owner laughs, says thanks, we walk on.

Scaredy horse. Not even a motorbike in sight.

Also... If we'd been the over-friendly curious types and approached to pet her horse, then it bucked and killed one of us, who would be to blame?

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:33 - 04 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I blame the cyclists

I really do today as I was happily tootling along in the sunshine

saw a horse on other side of the road coming towards me down hill there is a bend so cant see whats coming down behind her so slowed and stopped cut engine (wasn't in a rush anyway )

about twenty foot in front of me woman is smiling at me

next thing a group of about ten cyclists come flying past her and scare the shit out of her and her horse doing about 40 miles per hour

she managed to control it but got off and I spoke to her for a bit until she had calmed down a bit
she thanked me and we both went separate ways

(sorry no phone number or pics or tits and gary)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:42 - 04 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
next thing a group of about ten cyclists come flying past

Perfect opportunity to scream "THE ROADS WEREN'T BUILT FOR BICYCLES!" at them.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:00 - 04 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Me and my brother were walking down a country path on Saturday. Horse comes over the horizon at a good canter, straight towards us. Looked sort of Lord of The Rings-esque.

Horse slows down, rider shifts to the side through a gap in the hedge so they're on the small road that lines the path and waits for us. We we walk past.

Passing the horse, it gets spooked, does that 'horses raising its head and trampling its hooves' thing, owner laughs, says thanks, we walk on.

Scaredy horse. Not even a motorbike in sight.

Also... If we'd been the over-friendly curious types and approached to pet her horse, then it bucked and killed one of us, who would be to blame?

Rider must have un-sighted the animal. If they canny see what's making a noise they can get moar wound up.
But if a horse isn't steady it should not be on the road.
I think if you can prove the horse has history of being unsteady on a road in traffic then the rider should be guilty of negligence if 'it' causes an accident.
I am not saying this is the law but it's fekin stupid to take a '1/2 tame' animal into traffic.
I've done hundreds of miles on roads on the back of nags without any hassle. If the horse gets spooked it's usually simple to stop to let it have gander. They aren't all wankers. Most of them are well behaved big soft shites.
There were of course horses only fit for the school and even useless in a field.

Fiona84
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 09:39 - 12 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got stuck behind two horses riding through the woods (on my mountain bike) they were ridden by a woman and a young girl. The woman saw me but made no attempt to alert the girl or move into single file. Ended up having to jump off and walk, especially because the girl's horse started crapping everywhere as it walked Sick

Silver_Fox
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:51 - 12 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiona84 wrote:
I got stuck behind two horses riding through the woods (on my mountain bike) they were ridden by a woman and a young girl. The woman saw me but made no attempt to alert the girl or move into single file. Ended up having to jump off and walk, especially because the girl's horse started crapping everywhere as it walked Sick

I'm having far less sympathy for horses every time I venture out on my MTB. If they continue to foul up the riding areas, I'll be less inclined to slow for them when I'm in motorised transport

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:22 - 12 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayy wrote:

The only thing I posted as FACT was that you're riding a half tonne beast that's unpredictable on a road, thus endangering other road users and yourself.

A lot of people consider bike riders 'unpredictable'. FACT.
You and the bike is going to be a quarter of a tonne plus; but will often have a lot more kinetic energy than a horse and certainly have sharper and harder edges. FACT.
Thus endangering other road users and yourself.

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:53 - 12 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver_Fox wrote:
Fiona84 wrote:

I'm having far less sympathy for horses every time I venture out on my MTB. If they continue to foul up the riding areas, I'll be less inclined to slow for them when I'm in motorised transport

Getting horse shit on your bike/riding clothes is hardly a reason to endanger life, is it?

It's chewed up grass ffs. Rolling Eyes

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:18 - 12 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horses... on bridleways? Laughing

Complaining about that is the type of rubbish I'd expect from ramblers, you know, the ones who also complain about bikes and 4x4s using byways.

Go mountain biking at a trail centre if you really are that bothered about horses.

Rolling Eyes

herulach
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:57 - 12 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have horses come down our estate to get to their favoured trip way. fail to follow road directions, shit everywhere, and generally just a fucking nuisance. We've got those chicaney things on the main road through, never once had one actually give way at one.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:04 - 13 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

herulach wrote:
We've got those chicaney things on the main road through, never once had one actually give way at one.

To be fair, very few horses can read Give Way signs.

Silver_Fox
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:34 - 13 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

J4mes wrote:
Getting horse shit on your bike/riding clothes is hardly a reason to endanger life, is it?

It's chewed up grass ffs. Rolling Eyes

Calm your tits. In MK we have "Redways", which are combined walkways and cycle ways. NOT for f'ing horses to use at all, and certainly not for them to shit all over. If I rode my motorbike into their paddock and tore up their field, I'm sure they'd be equally miffed. These are tarmacked areas, not bridleways

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:26 - 13 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

lihp wrote:
Jayy wrote:

For the most part yes, I don't go hooning round blind bends @ the maximum speed limit but even 30mph is fast enough if the shit were in the right place, in your line, you're coming off.

Then you're going too fast. If you can't stop in what you can see. It's too fast.

What lihp said !! You're more likely to happen across a diesel spillage than you are horse shit.

And, as I think most others have said, the rider was a knob.

Horses aren't neccessarily rich people hobbies, where I worked before, one of the receptionists had a horse.

I have absolutely no problem with horses on the road, and I guess like most on here, don't really encounter them all that often

gorillaonabik...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:48 - 13 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

DieselASFC wrote:
What a crock of shit. Horses are fully entitled to be on the road. The biker was a complete bellend, and I imagine a lot of horses, trained or not, would have reacted badly to that sudden rev bomb. It might be well trained and used to traffic, but that would shit most animals or people up.

A horse which can't be controlled on a public road should be banned. Horse and rider should pass a test to demonstrate they can navigate normal traffic rather than the rest of the world slow down for them.

Too many horses and riders are bad combinations and the evidence is the accident statistics which indicate horse riding is 20 times as dangerous as motorcycling: https://www.nature.com/sc/journal/v40/n6/full/3101280a.html

The police and army control their horses and military have been doing so for the best part of 2,500 years in battle. Do you think the 14,000 cavalry at Waterloo had issues with gun or canon fire?

Horse / rider should be tested for safety on the public road in the same way as a car, motorcyclist or lorry. They need to be safe.
FZR400 (blown engine), ZXR750 (blown engine), ZX6R (accident), CBR600 which had engine issues after which I learned to change gear..., CBR900, CBR924 (stolen), CB600, CB1300 (everything blew up), BMW K1300GT (written off, hit from rear while stationary), Bandit 1250 for a couple of months, Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (nicked) and somewhere in there, I wrote off a Ducati 748 at Cadwell.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:05 - 13 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're an idiot.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:09 - 13 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different bikes can lead to people riding very differently.

So also a retest for any time you want to ride a different bike on the road Thumbs Up.

gorillaonabik...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 02:16 - 18 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
You're an idiot.

A perfect riposte to my argument. Perfectly counters the idea the horsey brigade are not self-entitled, pompous, out-of-touch elitists whose sole aim is to do what they want irrespective of the opinion of the rest of the world.

Horses and riders should be trained to ride on roads safely. Anything else is idiotic.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:20 - 18 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also;
Quote:

A perfect riposte to my argument. Perfectly counters the idea the bikey brigade are not self-entitled, pompous, out-of-touch elitists whose sole aim is to do what they want irrespective of the opinion of the rest of the world.

Bike riders should be trained to ride on roads safely. Anything else is idiotic.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 314 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Found on the 'Net All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5