Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Scousers crush each other

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:09 - 03 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Kent police are at fault now? The Scouse blame game knows no bounds.

Which scouser is blaming Kent popo?
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:06 - 03 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
[You moved to Scouseland and blamed "my police" force. I moved to Kent.

For my sins, I have however bought a season ticket for my West Yorkshire based football club. I'll try not to cause a stampede or crush opposition fans under a concrete wall though.

You moved to Kent? Well that is still brand new info because you do not have your location listed on your bcf profile.
Quote:
mpd72 has not provided a location

However, you seriously do sound hurt and pained that your hometown popo force fucked up and then tried to cover it up and then were caught out.

I just hope the Sheffield popo have learnt from their mistakes because I would truly hate to start a thread titled
"MPD72 killed his own children and it wasn't the popo's fault, it was his fault. He killed his own children"

But I'm going to buy a "smug face" tshirt just incase we get lucky.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:39 - 03 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course the South Yorkshire plod have sorted themselves out. Now they are a model of progressive policing.... Imagine being asked what you do for a job and having to admit to being a SY plod!!!!

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:49 - 04 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
I don't understand the bile being directed towards Scousers here. Would the same accusations be made if it were the fans of a club like Ipswich, Southampton or similar? I suspect not, so what we have is hate towards a whole community based upon a preconceived idea that they whinge unnecessarily. Remember folks, its only what the media like you to think, as stereotyping sells...

I believe, simply put, it's a bit of a 'reap what you sow' type argument from most people that are old enough to remember football crowds from that era.

Liverpool fans had a reputation back then and there were plenty of stories of 'fans' going to matches to get smashed and break heads - watching the game was a side-line. 'They' as the collective group were stained with that reputation - unfairly of course as not all Liverpool fans were drunken thugs - but that element of the Liverpool contingent did exist and that means people will always struggle, especially off the back of a smear campaigning cover-up, to believe that those particular subset of fans just decided to have a day off for that match. Of course they didn't, they were there, like they were for all the big games.

The scope of their influence both on the day and in the scene setting run up to the game is of course in question. To my mind, most would struggle to rule it out as a factor. Both a) in the way that the police set about handling the situation (badly, as it turns out) and b) on the day where there's all sorts of mayhem going off.

As stated somewhere else on this thread - there are plenty of incidences of huge crowds gathering with nothing more than a couple of wombles in hi viz jackets and nobody dies.

Every day at Kings Cross something like 300,000 people enter or exit to a handful of short platforms through a few tunnel walkways and nobody ends up under a train or being shoved down the escalators. With that said, there have been closures / evacuations of KX due to overcrowding and that active crowd control measure is clearly needed. But the demeanour of the crowd in KX is somewhat different to that of a football match, and that begs a question - do you blame fans for being boisterous or the police for not controlling that properly, knowing the mood the fans would be in? Simplification, but that point for me tells the story as to why people lay at least some of the blame on the fans themselves.

Summing up, and it's just an opinion based on all of what I've seen and read - not a belief based on hate or spite for scousers or a solid critique of all of the evidence the inquiry would have had access to - I'd say the police failings are the significant factor in the death of those people, but the hardcore subset of fans who go to games to cause trouble would have had an influence on the events of the day, active or perceived purely due to their reputation and past events giving rise to that reputation.

What is clear, is it's a very sorry state of affairs and a very touchy subject. I don't see any benefit in attempting reapportioning blame via the internet with harsh words. The 96 that died were entitled to expect the police to protect them and they failed catastrophically to do so. Any compensation that flows from it is no less entitled than a claim presented for an event of today.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:17 - 04 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many investigations are ongoing about historical abuses/failures in SYP?

Hillsborough
Rotherham sex abuse (failure to act)
Orgreave (falsifying statements)
Cliff Richard (lying about something or other)

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/apr/28/is-south-yorkshire-police-worth-saving-after-hillsborough

They make the Manchester force under James Anderton look like honest policemen Laughing

ashley_46
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:36 - 04 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely the fact that the same fans that were at Hillsborough were also at numerous other games with the same mentality but without incident should be a sign of the failings of the police/stadium that day. If the fans were the problem then I would have thought there would have been more incidents happening.

I also think it would be more accurate to say that football in general had a problem with fan violence, Milwall, West Ham and Chelsea all had reputations in the 80's and in all honesty Heysel may well have happened regardless of which fans were there due to the behaviour of a lot of groups of fans back then and the state of the stadium. The fact that a number of fans were jailed for their part in that incident also seems to be forgotten by people shouting about justice for that incident.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ashley_46
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:54 - 04 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
ashley_46 wrote:
Surely the fact that the same fans that were at Hillsborough were also at numerous other games with the same mentality but without incident should be a sign of the failings of the police/stadium that day. If the fans were the problem then I would have thought there would have been more incidents happening.

What, like Heysel?

So you take an example which I have mentioned anyway and which has been proven to be partially down to the stadium along with the fans who were prosecuted as an example to prove your point. The fact that this was a different scenario all together also seems to have been ignored.

Hillsborough - fans killed by mass crushing

Heysel - Fans killed by violence and a wall breaking

No amount of reasoning is going to have any effect on your opinon is it. Are you at least able to acknowledge that football violence and bad behaviour was not just a scouse thing?

ashley_46
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:05 - 04 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
ashley_46 wrote:

What, like Heysel?

Ashley_46 wrote:
I also think it would be more accurate to say that football in general had a problem with fan violence, Milwall, West Ham and Chelsea all had reputations in the 80's

But it was the behaviour of Liverpool fans which got English football banned from European competition for 5 years wasn't it?

Ashley_46 wrote:
and in all honesty Heysel may well have happened regardless of which fans were there due to the behaviour of a lot of groups of fans back then and the state of the stadium.

May well have, possibly.... didn't though did it? No other club managed it in all the other games.

Ashley_46 wrote:
The fact that a number of fans were jailed for their part in that incident also seems to be forgotten by people shouting about justice for that incident.

Like the way the Liverpool fans have conveniently forgotten their part in Heysel, when playing the victim card?

The difference is that people were held accountable for Heysel and there was no cover up. Heysel was tragic and should never have happened and liverpool fans have to accept their part of the blame for that but to use that as a reason that they should be blamed for Hillsborough is narrow minded and petty.

ashley_46
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:14 - 04 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
ashley_46 wrote:
[So you take an example which I have mentioned anyway and which has been proven to be partially down to the stadium along with the fans who were prosecuted as an example to prove your point. The fact that this was a different scenario all together also seems to have been ignored.

If you're going to come out with statements like this...

ashley_46 wrote:
[he fact that the same fans that were at Hillsborough were also at numerous other games with the same mentality but without incident

Don't act surprised when you get pulled up on the fact that the worst loss of life due to hooligan behaviour was committed by Liverpool fans.

ashley_46 wrote:
Hillsborough - fans killed by mass crushing
caused by stampeding and pushing Liverpool fans. The police played a part, so did the fans.

ashley_46 wrote:
Heysel - Fans killed by violence and a wall breaking
caused by stampeding Liverpool fans trying to attack Juventus fans. The stadium played a part, so did the fans.

ashley_46 wrote:
No amount of reasoning is going to have any effect on your opinon is it. Are you at least able to acknowledge that football violence and bad behaviour was not just a scouse thing?

Of course, they were the only club who managed it on such a grand scale though and got English football banned from Europe for 5 years.

Are you bitter that your side missed out on European football because of the ban? I can't see any other reason that you seem to have so much hatred for Liverpool fans and a fixation on the european ban.

ashley_46
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:29 - 04 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the topic of Heysel just a little bit of information on it rather than just "but Heysel"

Heysel was the disgraceful culmination of more than a decade of ugly incidents involving English supporters on their European travels: Tottenham Hotspur in Rotterdam in 1974 and 1983, Leeds United in Paris in 1975, Manchester United in St Etienne in 1977, the national team in Basle in 1981 and so on until the spiral of moronic violence reached its tragic conclusion.

As to whether individuals were brought to account, 27 arrests were made on suspicion of manslaughter and 26 men were charged. The prosecutions stemmed from television camera footage of the charge – the third such charge in a matter of minutes – that led directly to the deaths of those 39 innocent spectators. There are dozens of points that are usually offered to explain the context, not least over ticketing, segregation and a crumbling stadium, but the context does not begin to excuse what happened. No amount of context ever could.

As for “justice”, an initial inquiry by Marina Coppieters, a leading Belgian judge, found after 18 months that the police and the authorities, in addition to Liverpool supporters, should face charges. Quite apart from the hooliganism, ticketing arrangements and police strategy and responses were criticised.

Jacques Georges, the Uefa president at the time, and Hans Bangerter, his general secretary, were threatened with imprisonment but eventually given conditional discharges.

Albert Roosens, the former secretary-general of the Belgian Football Union (BFU), was given a six-month suspended prison sentence for “regrettable negligence” with regard to ticketing arrangements. So was gendarme captain Johan Mahieu, who was in charge of the policing the stands at Heysel. “He made fundamental errors,” Pierre Verlynde, the judge, said.

People held accountable and at least some sort of justice rather than cover ups and blame.

RedPanda
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 14:48 - 04 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I dislike about Liverpool fans is their hypocisy. From 2007, so in the midst of their JFT96 campaign:

https://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/6686867.stm

Uefa spokesman William Gaillard said: "The behaviour of the Liverpool fans is in the end responsible for the problems that took place before the game."

"It is very easy to say it is not a suitable stadium. The Milan supporters didn't face the same problems because they didn't behave in the same way.

"The kind of pushing that was going on and the attempts to jump over barriers - imagine if we had turnstiles, we could have had a tragedy.

"More than three hours before the game there were incidents at the Liverpool end with people trying to get in either with fake tickets or jumping over the barriers.

"It is obvious that at one point the police felt overwhelmed and it is much to their credit there were no dangerous incidents.

"I am very sorry for what happened to fans who had regular tickets but at the same time there is a collective responsibility in terms of behaviour.

Heysel always gets brought up because Liverpool fans paint themselves as all being angels. The above, far more recent example could have been another Hillsborough

ashley_46
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:37 - 04 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are quite right that the behaviour is unnacceptable but this happens a lot with a lot of different supporters and the reason it doesn't normally result in deaths is because the police manage to do their jobs correctly and have plans to minimise the problems caused by the small minority of fans causing trouble.

The problem at Hillsborough seems to be that the police were totally under prepared and failed to react correctly and the decision to put the larger group of fans in an end that had a history of problems and had near misses in previous years. Lessons should really have been learnt from the near misses in 1981, 1987 and 1988. Even as far back as 1957 there was an incident that was only prevented from becoming a tragedy by the intervention of the police.

To blame it on the fans is too simplistic.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:08 - 04 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

ashley_46 wrote:

The problem at Hillsborough seems to be that the police were totally under prepared and failed to react correctly and the decision to put the larger group of fans in an end that had a history of problems and had near misses in previous years. Lessons should really have been learnt from the near misses in 1981, 1987 and 1988. Even as far back as 1957 there was an incident that was only prevented from becoming a tragedy by the intervention of the police.

To blame it on the fans is too simplistic.

I don't think anyone is blaming it on the fans, simplistically. What I think rankles is the 'fans absolved of all blame' statements when if you look at it the other way, the fans unacceptable behaviour is the primary driver. Without the unacceptable behaviour, do you get the same end result? I don't know - but I'd wager that's the bit that people have the biggest gripe with.

That is to say, to blame the authorities entirely is to ignore that unacceptable behaviour which you've just admit goes on. Why should it be ignored, just because the police should have done better? (Understatement of the year, that, by the way...).

To my mind to get into the guts of this you need to break it into 3 rather than 2 as people seem to do.

1) The fans that are pushing and being uncontrollable
2) The bent coppers
3) The ordinary fans that got tragically crushed to death

Most people would think it's fair to say that a combination of 1 and 2 allowed for 3 to be unlawfully killed, but I also think it's fair to say that 2 being rubbish allowed 3 to be caused by 1. That is to say, another way of putting it is 1 killed 3 because 2 didn't intervene properly.

That is, of course, saying that there was unacceptable behaviour there on that day whereas a lot of people are suggesting that isn't the case (I'd even read one of the snippets being that the victims didn't have excess alcohol in their system for the event type - but I'm not sure that's relevant as they didn't cause their own death). Would you suggest there was no such loutish behaviour on the day? I'd find it unlikely - but I wasn't there.....

ashley_46
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 00:53 - 05 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say there was probably no more loutish behavior than any other match of that era which I would guess is why the fans have been absolved of blame. I think the biggest issue was the layout of the ground and the failure to manage where the fans were going. It is not quite as simple as loutish fans fans pushing and shoving.

From what I have read by the time the fans entering the tunnel would have seen there was an issue it would have been too late to stop going forward due to the fans behind them trying to get in and the incline of the tunnel. There is a lot of information about this from fans of other clubs that were involved in the incidents in the past.

I can see your point and agree to an extent but if the ground had of been fit for purpose and the police had been up to the job then the deaths would not have a happened. In that era the behavior of the fans on that day was not really any different to many other games which went by without issue. I think your point about 3 not happening if 2 did there jobs properly is why the fans were absolved as their behavior would not have caused 3 had 2 been up to the job. With proper policing 1 becomes a non issue and was only able to become a problem because of the failings of 2.

Thats not to say that 1 should be accepted as ok behavior but that under normal circumstances their behavior would not reasonably be able to cause the deaths of the fans that it did. The major failings and the major differences between this incident and the many matches the went without a hitch were the failings of the police and the dangerous lay out of that part of the ground. Take away either of those and the tragedy never happens.

I know you could also say the same can be said of the behavior of the fans and you would have a point but in that era the fan behavior on that day was not much different to any other day. A lot of the accounts of shoving and trouble by fans have since been proven to be either untrue or exaggerated at best.

The fans did not go there with the intention of causing any harm. In the same way that the police didn't go out to kill anyone. Had there have been no cover up and an acceptance of the failings by both the police and the FA then this would probably have been seen as the tragedy that it was without the need to try and blame the fans as if they were behaving any differently to other fans up and down the country.

The fact that the ground had a history of near misses just goes to show why the Liverpool fans should never have been in that end of the ground as they had the bigger following.

The images showing large areas of the stands with plenty of empty space also seems to show the failure of the police to manage the distribution of fans correctly on that occasion.

This could have happened to any set of fans just like it very nearly did in the years before it actually did.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:36 - 05 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
ashley_46 wrote:

This could have happened to any set of fans just like it very nearly did in the years before it actually did.

"Could have", but didn't. It seemed to follow one set of fans.

Or a problem with one particular police force.
Polarbear wrote:
How many investigations are ongoing about historical abuses/failures in SYP?

Hillsborough
Rotherham sex abuse (failure to act)
Orgreave (falsifying statements)
Cliff Richard (lying about something or other)

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/apr/28/is-south-yorkshire-police-worth-saving-after-hillsborough

They make the Manchester force under James Anderton look like honest policemen Laughing

RedPanda
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 12:16 - 05 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liverpool were by no means the worst in the 80s – I’d put Millwall, Luton, Birmingham, Leeds, Cardiff, Chelsea, West Ham and possibly some others ahead of them.

However, with Liverpool’s large crowds and repeated success (ie big games at neutral venues) I guess they had more opportunities for the worst to occur. With the poor organisation and policing Hillsborough became the perfect storm.

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:20 - 05 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody is saying that the Poliec made no mistakes. The police during the event made mistakes, the police behaviour after the event was quite simply disgusting.

The issue I, and many others have. Is to say the Police were 100% to blame. Clearly, it is a culmination of many factors, fan behaviour at the time, the stadium, the fencing, the policing. Many factors contributed to it. To say that just the police was 100% to blame is simply wrong.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:17 - 05 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

lihp wrote:
Many factors contributed to it. To say that just the police was 100% to blame is simply wrong.

Haven't really followed this Hillsborough malarkey but can't disagree with that.

To be honest I didn't think it was about outright saying, "The police made these people die," I thought it was about the way it was covered up to make the police look blameless, because if our own coppers can't manage an everyday football event without people dying, it makes the entire establishment look bad. Therefore cover-up.

Must admit I'm a little clueless on it all though. From an outsider's perspective I thought it was about police dishonesty and pride, rather than manslaughter.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 357 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 7 of 12