BCF: Bike Chat Forums

new snoozer.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:38 - 10 May 2016    Post subject: new snoozer. Reply with quote

Here be the skeletal remains of a 1995 GSX 600 F. It's boring and very competent.

https://i.imgur.com/ieKSf88.jpg

This is a Bandit 1200 motor on the cradle from the GSX.

https://i.imgur.com/tIAeM4b.jpg

This is the cradle from the GSX with the motor from the Bandit on it back in the GSX.

https://i.imgur.com/I4XKutD.jpg

This is the cradle of the GSX with the motor from the Bandit back in the GSX and covered up with the GSX bodywork.

https://i.imgur.com/YbePpGT.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/5VjKtln.jpg

It is no longer boring. It merely looks boring.

I Won't bore you with the specifics of how to actually fit the motor in there but rest assured it is hilariously quick and works swimmingly.

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 10 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please bore me with it. Any major hiccups? Apparently the GSX1100 motor is almost a straight swap but never knew the 1200 motor fit OK.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:54 - 10 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were many hiccups. Took 4 days to do it in all. Well spent week off work I reckon.

1) True sleeper. clutch pushrod shortened to allow cable operation conversion rather than hydraulic. This means retaining the stock gsx clutch perch, and more importantly the stock gsx sprocket cover complete with dual bosses for the gearshift lever. Also allows use of standard footrests.

2) Throttle converted to single pull cable to allow use of standard gsx throttle assembly and switchgear, Bandit choke cable modified to fit gsx.

3) Frame notched to allow fitment of standard bandit 1200 cam cover/breather box. Deck height is 17mm higher than standard on the motor, breather box brings it to an inch. Another possible option is to fit a gsxr 750 Cam cover which allows use of the low slung breather box.

4) Tank brace retained via notching the brace itself but allowing slight interference on the breather box to stress the brace and retain strength. Tank rubbers cut to suit.

5) Gsx loom, CDI, coils, fuse box etc. Retained. Rev limit raised to 12k from 10.5k must be careful not to 'hang a leg out of bed' when caining it. Cut/removed clutch and sidestand switch.

6) Exhaust troublesome. Presently on 600 headers which creates a large flatspot around 4-5k rpm. Working on a solution with modified gsxr 11 headers. All require trimming of inner fairings/heat tape to avoid melting. No other large bore headers fit without modification to bodywork so may as well go for the mack daddy of oil burner pipes.

7) Converted fuel tap to single feed for bandit carbs.

many other little bits and bobs came up along the way.

TomReilly
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:20 - 11 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long does it take to be able to pick up on doing something like this?

I'd love to do this, definitely something I'd find very fun to do but I just couldn't atm, I guess you just pick up on it after a while doing your own maintenance?

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:28 - 11 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Research Is the way forward, but if doing on the internet you need a large bullshit detector. I prefer doing hard research, cross referencing bearing sizes and noting positions of mounts etc. A lot is also common sense all oil burning motors use the gsxr1100 bottom end, so mounts are the same. Only thing that varies is deck height and number of gears.

The second thing you need is the guts to take an axle grinder to something that is perfectly good.

The gsx600 motor is now fabbed into a gs550 frame as a donkey motor for testing the bandit 1200 twin shock rear end and gsxr usd front end that are hung in it. When complete a long stroke 750 gsxr motor will be transplanted in.

Suzuki is a personal favourite, but am not above fiddling with other marks.

https://i.imgur.com/7ibNQ2t.jpg

Such as Yam.

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:05 - 11 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

no doubt in your research you came across my shitty teapot ratfighter with the same frame and engine swap, I almost wish mine looked sleeper sometimes because its hella fun hammering it and confusing people. Interesting to see you even managed to keep the stock airbox, I dont think ive seen that done on one before.

lilredmachine wrote:
There were many hiccups. Took 4 days to do it in all. Well spent week off work I reckon.

1) True sleeper. clutch pushrod shortened to allow cable operation conversion rather than hydraulic. This means retaining the stock gsx clutch perch, and more importantly the stock gsx sprocket cover complete with dual bosses for the gearshift lever. Also allows use of standard footrests.

Hydraulic conversion is as simple as fitting the parts and drilling a hole in the case for a gearchange linkage boss, stock pegs retained.

2) Throttle converted to single pull cable to allow use of standard gsx throttle assembly and switchgear, Bandit choke cable modified to fit gsx.

3) Frame notched to allow fitment of standard bandit 1200 cam cover/breather box. Deck height is 17mm higher than standard on the motor, breather box brings it to an inch. Another possible option is to fit a gsxr 750 Cam cover which allows use of the low slung breather box.

600f breather box fits onto the 1200 engine and requires minimal notching of the frame, got away with a bit of filling on mine but its tight as fuck.

4) Tank brace retained via notching the brace itself but allowing slight interference on the breather box to stress the brace and retain strength. Tank rubbers cut to suit.

I ditched my crossbrace, doesnt feel worse handling, if only there was a decent comparison method.

5) Gsx loom, CDI, coils, fuse box etc. Retained. Rev limit raised to 12k from 10.5k must be careful not to 'hang a leg out of bed' when caining it. Cut/removed clutch and sidestand switch.

6) Exhaust troublesome. Presently on 600 headers which creates a large flatspot around 4-5k rpm. Working on a solution with modified gsxr 11 headers. All require trimming of inner fairings/heat tape to avoid melting. No other large bore headers fit without modification to bodywork so may as well go for the mack daddy of oil burner pipes.

Ditch the bellypan and fit gsxr1000 k2 headers, they are titanium and a good midrange diameter between stock 12 and stock 6, giving you a bit more airflow for a still relatively sleeper look.

top rear engine mount bolt by any chance?

Cheers
John
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:35 - 11 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilredmachine wrote:

Thanks for that, quite a bit of work then Cool I'd love to convert my GSX into a sleeper but the work is beyond me. I read a write up before about swapping a 1100 motor and from what I gathered the hardest part of that was fabricating new mounts for the oil cooler. But it is teh interweb so it was still taken with a pinch of salt.

Great work though, I'm sure you'll have fun this summer Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:54 - 11 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

virus wrote:
no doubt in your research you came across my shitty teapot ratfighter with the same frame and engine swap, I almost wish mine looked sleeper sometimes because its hella fun hammering it and confusing people. Interesting to see you even managed to keep the stock airbox, I dont think ive seen that done on one before.

lilredmachine wrote:

Hydraulic conversion is as simple as fitting the parts and drilling a hole in the case for a gearchange linkage boss, stock pegs retained.

600f breather box fits onto the 1200 engine and requires minimal notching of the frame, got away with a bit of filling on mine but its tight as fuck.

I ditched my crossbrace, doesnt feel worse handling, if only there was a decent comparison method.

Ditch the bellypan and fit gsxr1000 k2 headers, they are titanium and a good midrange diameter between stock 12 and stock 6, giving you a bit more airflow for a still relatively sleeper look.

top rear engine mount bolt by any chance?

Cheers
John

have indeed seen it John, very much a fan. Cable clutch was converted to keep stock perch, anyone peering from close up wouldn't have a clue what was in it. The bike looks totally stock apart from the TPS mount on the side of the carbs which is visible through the fairings. Have a TPS sensor fitted for looks but not wired in as the CDI of the GSX doesn't allow for it. Did look at switching the breather boxes but wasn't comfortable doing it as the gasket allows any blow by to enter the airbox as it doesn't cover the bridge between oil/air side totally. The castings are different, but swapping the whole top cover for a 750 one solves this. In practice this is most likely fine, am guessing you are on pods though? Airbox took a little fiddling but goes on.

Gsxr 1000k2 headers a direct fit? I have a set of K5 titanium headers but the spacing is totally different...

sprocket cover is visible with fairings on, so had to remain stock!

Under-rated, there is no need to switch the oil cooler, the GSX one is twice the size if the bandit one anyway.

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:51 - 11 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

tbh the only reason I went to the effort was because I was unsure if the cable clutch could pull the b12s diagphram springs in, is the clutch heavy at all?

sounds like youve done it the real sleeper way though, very nice work. Im on K+n Dual filters and it runs pretty well apart from a low rpm stumble, but the midrange grunt and induction noise makes up for it in my eyes.

I think the ti headers need a bit of mild tweaking to get into the ports and they do stick out furter and hang lower than a stock set but if you dont mind that then they are worth it. its nice to know the collector box isnt going to rot out tbh.

I can vouch for a b12 on a gsx600f cooler too, I took mine over the alps and only sat in unfilterable traffic on a 28 degree day on the north of lake geneva did I ever think it was getting 'hot' rather than 'warmed up properly'

Cheers
John
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:21 - 12 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The clutch feels like a normal clutch still, and doesn't feel as 'dead' as a hydraulic assisted one which is nice. Got it running better now, discovered it really need to be on prime to get the juice in there, it goes great up till about 7500 rpm then falls flat on it's arse which is most likely the teeny headers Choking it off. Did the fork seals and serviced the brakes, readjusted the head bearings and just need to do some cabke rearrangement for the MOT hehe.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 349 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1