700 cc two stroke twin in my own frame

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:04 - 17 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome project as many have said!
The Wildcat 700cc motor sounds like a great powerhouse too! It does seem that it's only really Snowmobile manufacturers that have continued with development of better, more efficient and more powerful two stroke motors, where as bikes, PWC's Outboards etc have nearly all gone four stroke nowadays.

The build looks very impressive, and huge Kudos to casting your own gearbox casings too!

The pipes look very interesting as well, and I assume from their shape they are biased towards big midrange output, having similar length convergent and divergent cones, and a big parallel belly section. Did you use pipe design software to come up with them, or are they a copy of dimensions for pipes used in Sled applications?

All the best with your build too!

p.s More GSXR turbo pics and a write up of the spec would be very cool too!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:17 - 17 Feb 2015    Post subject: project Reply with quote

Thats frigging mental is that your bird in the photos Thumbs Up s̶u̶b̶f̶r̶a̶m̶e̶s̶ ̶t̶w̶i̶s̶t̶e̶d̶

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:26 - 17 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know what the power curve is likely to be like?

A quick google shows the 800 looks like fun.
[edit]That actually only shows pretty limited revs - presumably thanks to CVT.[/edit]

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:12 - 17 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make it into an off-roader.

lahi
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:42 - 18 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
The Wildcat 700cc motor sounds like a great powerhouse too! It does seem that it's only really Snowmobile manufacturers that have continued with development of better, more efficient and more powerful two stroke motors, where as bikes, PWC's Outboards etc have nearly all gone four stroke nowadays.

The build looks very impressive, and huge Kudos to casting your own gearbox casings too!

The pipes look very interesting as well, and I assume from their shape they are biased towards big midrange output, having similar length convergent and divergent cones, and a big parallel belly section. Did you use pipe design software to come up with them, or are they a copy of dimensions for pipes used in Sled applications?

Yes, sadly modern bikes use mostly fourstroke. Bimota made a good try with the V-Due, but nothing have appeared since on the market. The emissions seem to be quite difficult to solve. My bike will be road legal here in Sweden, but we don't have any emission restrictions for custom built bikes. New bikes and cars, of course, but not for home made bikes. Yet...

The pipe dimensions are copies of the SPI pipes that seem to be very good for the Wildcat 700. It gets a bit more angry Very Happy

They are shortened just a little bit to raise peak hp rpm, but they should still start to pull on decent revs. Lets see... Wink

Ok, the specs for the turbo Suzuki:

1195 cc
81 mm Hayabusa pistons
Bandit 1200 cylinders bored from 79 mm to 81 mm
MPR pro street ported head
APE valve springs
Modified GIK intercooler
Schwitzer S200 turbocharger
50 mm external wastegate
Dyna2000 ignition
HKS SSQV
Barnett clutch
Apexi AVC-R digital boost controller

https://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff67/lahi1979/201_zpsml0ztv0j.jpg

https://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff67/lahi1979/200_zpsjfqctarq.jpg

https://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff67/lahi1979/202_zpsgefo9ojj.jpg

lahi
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:46 - 18 Feb 2015    Post subject: Re: project Reply with quote

almostthere wrote:
Thats frigging mental is that your bird in the photos Thumbs Up s̶u̶b̶f̶r̶a̶m̶e̶s̶ ̶t̶w̶i̶s̶t̶e̶d̶

Haha, you spotted it. I have a milling machine. Why not mill something others wouldn't mill on their shiny stuff Laughing

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:48 - 18 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

lahi wrote:
stevo as b4 wrote:

Yes, sadly modern bikes use mostly fourstroke. Bimota made a good try with the V-Due, but nothing have appeared since on the market. The emissions seem to be quite difficult to solve. My bike will be road legal here in Sweden, but we don't have any emission restrictions for custom built bikes. New bikes and cars, of course, but not for home made bikes. Yet...

The pipe dimensions are copies of the SPI pipes that seem to be very good for the Wildcat 700. It gets a bit more angry Very Happy

They are shortened just a little bit to raise peak hp rpm, but they should still start to pull on decent revs. Lets see... Wink

Ok, the specs for the turbo Suzuki:

1195 cc
81 mm Hayabusa pistons
Bandit 1200 cylinders bored from 79 mm to 81 mm
MPR pro street ported head
APE valve springs
Modified GIK intercooler
Schwitzer S200 turbocharger
50 mm external wastegate
Dyna2000 ignition
HKS SSQV
Barnett clutch
Apexi AVC-R digital boost controller

https://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff67/lahi1979/201_zpsml0ztv0j.jpg

https://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff67/lahi1979/200_zpsjfqctarq.jpg

https://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff67/lahi1979/202_zpsgefo9ojj.jpg

https://rs1img.memecdn.com/I-Came_o_104643.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

lahi
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:56 - 18 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Do you know what the power curve is likely to be like?

A quick google shows the 800 looks like fun.
[edit]That actually only shows pretty limited revs - presumably thanks to CVT.[/edit]

Not really, because all dynos I have seen just show the rev range snowmobiles normally use. The dyno readings start at 6500 rpm... As they have a cvt the engine is not under any load below 5000 rpm.

The guy that will do the porting on block and cylinders are going to try to widen the power band as much as possible and still keep something in the mid range. Peak rpm should be around 9500 now. The pipes are tuned for 9500 rpm at least Wink So lets see when it's on the dyno. It might be a bit of a ketchup-bike (aim and squirt) as I still want to get quite a lot of power out of it, but as long as I stay within the power band ("within the pipes") I think I'll be fine. The GP500 bikes didn't have any grunt on low revs either and they were fast around a track Rolling Eyes If you could ride them.

Anyway, I like ketchup, otherwise I wouldn't have the turbo-bike Laughing

Triton Thrasher wrote:
Make it into an off-roader.

Nooo, I'll crash it Laughing

pits
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:53 - 18 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

lahi wrote:
chris-red wrote:
Why Ducati monster forks? Seem a bit low spec to me.

Excellent project though looks great! Thumbs Up

I couldn't afford the Öhlins I wanted Wink Price vs performance. Forks, shock wheels etc are easy to upgrade later on when the bike actually runs. I don't want to spend a fortune on a pricy fork when the bike is in this stage. If I later on find that I need a more high performance fork, then I can consider it. Right now that money are better spent on something else. But I see your point Very Happy It would look better with shiny stuff Very Happy

Can I just step in here, the Monster forks are shit I had the same forks on my 750SS, however you can't just bolt Ohlins onto the yokes (unless you spend silly money) what I did was buy 999 forks and bored the top yoke out, shimmed the bottom yoke and shimmed brakes.

Go for the wider top end 999 forks, near same price as the standard Monster forks which are too narrow at the top and have zero adjustment.
00:32:08 Blau Zedong: yes, i am a massive CB400 fan and collector
00:33:00 Blau Zedong: the CB400 is my favourite road bike

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:53 - 18 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very very rare these days you get an actual project worthy of the name 'project'. Usually it's bolting on coloured tat and calling it 'customised'.

I applaud you Thumbs Up

devojunior
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:41 - 18 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

lost for words with this,

can i come stay at your home for a weekend and help ? when i say help i mean keep a steady flow of yorkshire tea and sit and watch you work.

sidewinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:33 - 18 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holly mother of god epic post is epic

Ps: Chris you have competition Very Happy

CHR15
Turbo nutter bastard

PostPosted: 22:59 - 18 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

sidewinder wrote:

Laughing

how are you going to tension the primary htd belt?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Just_James
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 23:09 - 18 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

Overwhelmed with awe and envy Shocked

If that is your missus too... just keep it to yourself....... or I will have to kiiiiiiill you Twisted Evil
Previous bikes - 1986 DT125R (field bike), 1989 KX250, 1980 KX420 (with 500cc big bore), 1992 YZ250, 1988 KX500, 1989 XR250R, 1988 VFR400R NC24, 1999 Cagiva Mito 125, 2008 Rieju RS2 50 , 1993 Honda NSR 125

lahi
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:05 - 19 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

pits wrote:

Can I just step in here, the Monster forks are shit I had the same forks on my 750SS, however you can't just bolt Ohlins onto the yokes (unless you spend silly money) what I did was buy 999 forks and bored the top yoke out, shimmed the bottom yoke and shimmed brakes.

Go for the wider top end 999 forks, near same price as the standard Monster forks which are too narrow at the top and have zero adjustment.

Thanks for you input! I have never tried the Monster forks so I don't know. I'll keep this in mind later on when the bike is running Thumbs Up Right now I don't want to spend more money than needed as I already have these forks. Replacing them doesn't do anything for me in this stage when the bike isn't on the road. The reason for buying Monster forks is that a friend of mine had them, and they were cheap Laughing They cost me a few beers.

However, this kind of input is really appreciated. Thanks.

devojunior wrote:

can i come stay at your home for a weekend and help ? when i say help i mean keep a steady flow of yorkshire tea and sit and watch you work.

I think you have a long trip ahead of you if you want to come here. I live in Sweden Laughing Tea? Whisky and beer are the only beverages that are allowed past the garage door Wink

CHR15 wrote:
sidewinder wrote:

Laughing

With a belt tensioner Wink

Something similar to this (but with a shorter belt...)

https://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff67/lahi1979/mainbelt_zpstrnriylc.jpg

Just_James wrote:
Shocked

If that is your missus too... just keep it to yourself....... or I will have to kiiiiiiill you Twisted Evil

No, my wife looks better Wink

devojunior
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:36 - 20 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

lahi wrote:
pits wrote:

Thanks for you input! I have never tried the Monster forks so I don't know. I'll keep this in mind later on when the bike is running Thumbs Up Right now I don't want to spend more money than needed as I already have these forks. Replacing them doesn't do anything for me in this stage when the bike isn't on the road. The reason for buying Monster forks is that a friend of mine had them, and they were cheap Laughing They cost me a few beers.

However, this kind of input is really appreciated. Thanks.

devojunior wrote:

I think you have a long trip ahead of you if you want to come here. I live in Sweden Laughing Tea? Whisky and beer are the only beverages that are allowed past the garage door Wink

CHR15 wrote:
sidewinder wrote:

Laughing

With a belt tensioner Wink

Something similar to this (but with a shorter belt...)

https://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff67/lahi1979/mainbelt_zpstrnriylc.jpg

Just_James wrote:
Shocked

No, my wife looks better Wink

oh i know where you are thats not a problem i love it so far.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 1 year, 86 days between these two posts...

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:36 - 16 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old thread bump alert, but I wonder if this was ever finished?

nitrosurf
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:51 - 16 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you bumped it as I may not have seen it otherwise. Those spannies look like something on a Thunderbird ship, bloody brilliant!

So, any progress?

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:17 - 17 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP completed the project and decided to give bike a test run and was transported back to 1851 and currently lives as a cowboy shoeing horses waiting for gasoline to be produced.

Silver_Fox
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:59 - 17 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is blue balls of the highest order Shocked

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:05 - 18 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully this helps a little more op has more info here but not full Sad

https://www.sporthoj.com/forum/showthread.php?258100-Amat%F6rbygge-med-700-cc-Arctic-cat-TV%C5takts-twin
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 316 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2