Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Suzuki GS650 'Project 86'

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 09:55 - 18 May 2016    Post subject: Suzuki GS650 'Project 86' Reply with quote

After a three year break from riding, this little Suzuki was meant to be my winter hack and a commuter end of 2015. Sadly the ‘mechanic’ who sold the bike to me had got it through the MOT by some miracles and a little bodging.
Purchased last year and before I lost my job, it’s been sat in the garage in need of some TLC. Slowly but surely I’ve been repairing bits and bobs, rebuilding some areas to.
I didn’t realise at the time I had bought a fairly rare Suzuki, the 550, 750 and 1100 being a bit more common. This particular GS has had a seat and rear end modification, just a fibre glass rear end and custom seat. Looks pretty trick compared to the long old school seating of the factory design. The bars are straighter and them bikes been sprayed in a blue which I’m sure isn’t factory either.

https://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah206/killa_b83/IMG_20160321_171604_zps84ih9lhc.jpg

When I got the bike home the next few days were spent stripping it down, this was purely to check the electric were good enough but that’s where the party started.
Next to no fluid in the brake lines, just a dribble in both front and back…”This guys a tool” I thought.

https://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah206/killa_b83/FB_IMG_1461664857208_zpswu3jek7m.jpg

The front brake was just dire, but I have rebuilt Tokico 6 pots before, these little brakes should be too much bother. I decided to strip both front and back, also defiantly needed to replace the crap hoses for braided ones. In the rebuild I decided to repair the master cylinder at the same time, any extra braking power achieved is worth it.

https://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah206/killa_b83/FB_IMG_1461664846018_zpski2ki2li.jpg

Whilst playing around with other bits on the bike, I discovered why there was significant oil around the fork on the right hand side. This pleb had packed out the top of the seal with some rag of some kind and put the rubber boot over the top to pass the MOT. Removing this rag stuff revealed the guy had even fu**ed up the assembly of seals and spacers.
Can’t do forks myself, so I had to hand it over to my mate to sort out. The forks aren’t the best condition, so I doubt these new seals will last all that long.

https://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah206/killa_b83/FB_IMG_1461664839959_zps0xgn2van.jpg

Generally the condition of the bike is ‘rugged’, testament to the build quality though, cosmetically the bike looks tired, it starts on the button and everything still works.

https://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah206/killa_b83/FB_IMG_1461664871093_zpsvzisrii8.jpg

Although the bike does start rather well with some juice in the battery, the running was quite poor, especially when warm. Further investigations found that the oil was black as night, the filter needed changing badly. As this is air cooled the good flow of good oil is paramount.
With that changed she did run better but there was clearly something amiss with the air/fuel mix. In short, the manifolds were buggered. I went straight to Suzuki for these and came away £150 lighter.

https://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah206/killa_b83/IMG_20151210_221848_zpsxx7uwxgr.jpg

As I was there anyway, I stripped the carbs, cleaned and used and airline to get rid of the shite. This is where I found the air box, manifold rubbers to be one of the most awkward jobs ever. With a little soldering done on the wiring that literally fell apart in reassembly, the ignition lights appeared and I fired her up after several months of mucking about.

https://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah206/killa_b83/FB_IMG_1461664866460_zps1ysgdgrv.jpg

This week I took it down the road for the MOT. When I turned up I think they were expecting to fail it from the get go. The bike did come through and they commented on how well put together the bike was in the end.
My initial plan for the bike was to crack on with some cosmetic modifications and make it look it bit more Mad Max or something but getting it right mechanically has obviously been the priority here. If anyone has some suggestions for a look or mods to the bike, I’d welcome it. The blue wheels and paint has actually started to grow on in me Laughing

https://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah206/killa_b83/FB_IMG_1461664797507_zpsgk8hfhkx.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 10:16 - 18 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

That tail looks fucking horrible.

Replace the ignition with a Dyna-S as soon as is possible. It will save you much hassle. It's also worth doing the ignition relay mod, too.

What the fuck has been done to that exhaust? It's a stock downpipe layout, but with a single silencer - does it still have the balancer pipe?

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 10:25 - 18 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:

That bad huh? Laughing
I thought it looked better than the original.

nowhere.elysium wrote:
Replace the ignition with a Dyna-S as soon as is possible. It will save you much hassle. It's also worth doing the ignition relay mod, too.

Details? I'm not sure what the Dyna-S is. Where will I find the detail of that mod?

nowhere.elysium wrote:
What the fuck has been done to that exhaust? It's a stock downpipe layout, but with a single silencer - does it still have the balancer pipe?

As far as I know this is just a replacement Motad exhaust, no?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:39 - 18 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weirdly, I quite like it as it is. Thumbs Up

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 10:58 - 18 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
Weirdly, I quite like it as it is. Thumbs Up

You're not the first to have said that. Looks pretty good in the flesh Cool Thumbs Up

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 12:19 - 18 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

killa wrote:
nowhere.elysium wrote:

That bad huh? Laughing
I thought it looked better than the original.
Smacks of bratchop, IMO.

killa wrote:
nowhere.elysium wrote:

Details? I'm not sure what the Dyna-S is. Where will I find the detail of that mod?

Google is probably a good start. It's a replacement ignition system, and allows you to dispense with the archaic and weirdly-designed transistorised ignition, not to mention the increasingly hard-to-source ignition control unit.

The relay mod allows you to effectively bypass a whole bunch of aging loom, to stop the effects of voltage drop to the coils. You may not have an issue with it now, but I promise you that you will before too long. People at last year's BCF BBQ will attest to this.

killa wrote:
nowhere.elysium wrote:

Didn't think that standard aftermarket exhaust systems had the central downpipe spacing like that - the Jama exhaust, although aesthetically correct to the era doesn't have the spacing (which is a massive PITA when it comes to changing the oil filter). I didn't even look at the Motad exhausts when sorting mine, so that may be why it looks so unfamiliar.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:20 - 18 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sort of like the tail piece too, but not sure it's the bike I'd have chosen to do it to.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 12:49 - 18 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
Smacks of bratchop, IMO.

Have you done an English? Laughing

nowhere.elysium wrote:
It's a replacement ignition system, and allows you to dispense with the archaic and weirdly-designed transistorised ignition, not to mention the increasingly hard-to-source ignition control unit.

I’ll have a look into it then. The wiring on this thing is so simple I don’t see a need to do it right now.

nowhere.elysium wrote:
The relay mod allows you to effectively bypass a whole bunch of aging loom, to stop the effects of voltage drop to the coils. You may not have an issue with it now, but I promise you that you will before too long. People at last year's BCF BBQ will attest to this.

Is it common for it to work fine for thirty years and then pack in like that?

nowhere.elysium wrote:
Didn't think that standard aftermarket exhaust systems had the central downpipe spacing like that - the Jama exhaust, although aesthetically correct to the era doesn't have the spacing (which is a massive PITA when it comes to changing the oil filter). I didn't even look at the Motad exhausts when sorting mine, so that may be why it looks so unfamiliar.[/quote]

There’s one on Ebay at the moment, four into one. Sounds good, goes well. What does yours look like?

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 13:13 - 18 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back Killa Thumbs Up

Kinda like the stripped down Silver Dream Racer look of that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 13:22 - 18 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigs23 wrote:

Ah Craig! I remember you....shi* don't look at the bike, the patina will make you cringe! Laughing

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:31 - 18 May 2016    Post subject: Re: Suzuki GS650 'Project 86' Reply with quote

killa wrote:
If anyone has some suggestions for a look or mods to the bike, I’d welcome it.

Needs more
https://www.shop.in-spired.gifts/bcf-logo-or-url-sticker-10cm-various-colours-160-p.asp
And
https://www.shop.in-spired.gifts/bcf-logo--nobcat-sticker-273-p.asp

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 13:43 - 18 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

killa wrote:
craigs23 wrote:

Ah Craig! I remember you....shi* don't look at the bike, the patina will make you cringe! Laughing

Haven't been back long either Thumbs Up

Ah, contrary to popular belief I actually like non-immaculate bikes - gives me something to work with Very Happy

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:53 - 18 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done getting it into, everyday, usable condition! Karma

As far as the seat/tail thing goes I quite like it, however it doesn't go with the commuter orientated handlebars, might look better with flat bars and rear sets, that's what I did with my 550, when I owned one, sometime last century! Laughing

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:04 - 18 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:

I think its partly the 'back-rest pad'. If that didn't overlap the tail fibreglass at the top/sides it would look more streamlined..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:06 - 18 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the fuse box might give trouble too in time. XJ boys replace with mini blade fuse holders.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 14:07 - 18 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure the seat could be better, I'm not sure how to make a seat...this has been done quite crudely, but it's comfy enough!

https://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah206/killa_b83/IMG_20151101_002534_zpshhtkjmyg.jpg

.Chris.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:13 - 18 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bike, not keen on the tail though Confused

Has the frame been chopped at the rear end? If not, I'd definitely be looking to put it back to standard.

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 14:41 - 18 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

.Chris. wrote:
Nice bike, not keen on the tail though Confused

Has the frame been chopped at the rear end? If not, I'd definitely be looking to put it back to standard.

Nope, appears to be all there.

ride_to_die
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:59 - 18 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite like the back end myself.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 15:25 - 18 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're all deviants Laughing

killa wrote:
nowhere.elysium wrote:
Smacks of bratchop, IMO.
Have you done an English? Laughing
Bratchops are those godawful Hoxton-influenced attempts at flat trackers that invariably involve butchering a perfectly good (and usually increasingly rare) bike.
killa wrote:
nowhere.elysium wrote:

Is it common for it to work fine for thirty years and then pack in like that?
It's certainly not an unknown problem. Common enough to be thought of as a standard mod for this era of Suzuki bikes.

killa wrote:
There’s one on Ebay at the moment, four into one. Sounds good, goes well. What does yours look like?

https://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu360/duaneage2/Picture180.jpg
I prefer the conical exhaust myself - closer to the original.

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:20 - 20 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friend of mine has an '82 850 (also a shaftie). Similar mileage too. Sadly he bought a new Triumph Bonneville a couple of years ago and it's been languishing in an underground car park since then. Although he has recently got a bit of cash that he's earmarked for getting a mechanic to give Oprah (she's big and black Laughing ) the once over.

His came off the road mostly due to the head warping and all the oil falling out, but partially due to constant issues with the battery inexplicably running out of juice. I have great memories of bump starting it on the hard shoulder of the M3 multiple times when I was riding back from London to Southampton for him, on the day he bought it. Laughing

That said it sounds bloody lovely and pulls like a train, I genuinely loved riding it. I would have one if I could find one cheap with all the known issues fixed for me.

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/10436171_10100370742443832_2653597743011316103_n.jpg

I really like yours, and congrats on getting it road worthy and back into use. But please change the tail!

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 18:16 - 21 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change the fusebox for a modern one that takes blade fuses, glass fuses are a pain in the arse.

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 08:52 - 23 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
Bratchops are those godawful Hoxton-influenced attempts at flat trackers that invariably involve butchering a perfectly good (and usually increasingly rare) bike.

Yeah Bratchops I know about I have just never heard the phrase ’Smacks of’. You’d be surprised how comfy this is compared to a bike with no lower back rest Laughing With the straighter bars and that seat, once you get settled you could ride for a good while.

nowhere.elysium wrote:
It's certainly not an unknown problem. Common enough to be thought of as a standard mod for this era of Suzuki bikes.

I’ve had to sort out the more pressing issues first than ‘potential’ problems. But yeah, I’ll look into it perhaps.
I’ve just had a read through your original thread…well I skimmed through a lot as its 19 pages but I saw that you dragged it out of storage and restored it pretty much. Thankfully my bike had been used up until very recently and as you know with these classic japs, they like to be used.

nowhere.elysium wrote:
I prefer the conical exhaust myself - closer to the original.

Yeah, for somethings I like going all original, like with my classic cars. This cheap little bike has an annoying power range, short gears and it’s mad heavy. I’m not keeping it, therefore I’m not that interested in spending big money on it…although I’ve already spent more than I wanted to on it.

Robby wrote:
Change the fusebox for a modern one that takes blade fuses, glass fuses are a pain in the arse.

Will they keep blowing then?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 312 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1