Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

MT07 Tracer / Tracer 700

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogue_Shadow
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:07 - 23 May 2016    Post subject: MT07 Tracer / Tracer 700 Reply with quote

Surprised no one has mentioned this one yet.
Admitted I've been waiting patiently for more news about the MT07 Tracer since I saw how successful the standard 07 was.
So I'm bias and no one else seems to give a Gagged

Will update with reviews when available

Releasing in July

https://www.cycleworld.com/sites/cycleworld.com/files/styles/large_1x_/public/images/2016/04/2017-mt07-tracer-first-look-image-18-3a.jpg?itok=LAAfmRUE

https://www.motoplanete.com/yamaha/zoom-700px/Yamaha-MT-07-700-Tracer-2016-700px.jpg

https://www.monsieurvintage.com/photos/2016/04/yamaha-tracer-700-UNE-595x456.jpg

VisorDown wrote:
Tracer 700 Technical Highlights

689cc, DOHC, 4-valve, twin cylinder, fuel-efficient engine

'Crossplane philosophy' design for a deep & linear torque

55.0 kW (74.8PS) @ 9,000 rpm

68.0 Nm (6.9 kg-m) @ 6,500 rpm

Tubular backbone frame with aluminium swinging arm

1450mm wheelbase

196 kg wet weight

Long-range 17 litre fuel tank

Manually adjustable screen with optional high screen

Wind deflecting integrated knuckle guards

Dual headlights with LED position lights

Stepped one-piece dual seat with grab rail

845mm seat height

Lightweight 10-spoke cast aluminium wheels

Digital instrumentation with full LED display

Dual 282mm front discs with 4-pot calipers and ABS

130mm front and rear suspension stroke

Press Release - Visor Down

Last edited by Rogue_Shadow on 08:50 - 25 May 2016; edited 1 time in total

wristjob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:26 - 24 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

what makes this better than the run of the mill mt07?
or a 10 year old tdm?

techathy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 08:23 - 24 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

wristjob wrote:
what makes this better than the run of the mill mt07?
or a 10 year old tdm?

It has a half fairing
It's new not 10 years old

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:50 - 24 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decent enough and it makes the V-Strom and Versys - which are also tarmac tourers/commuters, not "Adventure" bikes - look about £500 overpriced.

17 litre tank would be nice and the seat looks comfier (although 30mm higher Thumbs Down), but unless I was planning to really do a lot of touring or pillion-taking, I reckon I'd just go for the MT-07 ABS, add an aftermarket touring screen, and spend the £450 savings on fuel.

It's nice to have the choice though, and Suzuki and Kawasaki must be pretty Sad right now. I'd expect the V-Strom and Versys to drop in sticker price to match it, if they want to keep selling any.

[UPDATE] - roflcopter - Suzuki have just raised the price of the basic V-Strom 650 to a full £7K. Right, good luck with that. Laughing

Piercee100
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:24 - 24 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

That look's so much better than the standard MT07... Why do they put the ignition barrel in such an odd place? Fugly as hell. I guess it's so they can sell you a bikini fairing later on. In the flesh, that front headlight made it look like it suffered with Downs syndrome and a hunchback!

Was looking at the weekend and Kinda fell in love with the CB650f parked next to it and even the new SV650 parked along side that was prettier (white with blue wheels really suits). What I found odd is both the SV650 and the MT07 have that massive radiator and the cap clearly exposed on one side- sticks out on the SV. Where I live that would either get nicked or a screwdriver through the rad.

c-m
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:51 - 24 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a weird one. I like it, but as a two up tourer I'd want more than 70bhp even if it is at the rear wheel. Hell as a solo tourer on tarmac I'd want more than that.

Not knocking it though. At £6,300 it's very well priced, and I'd go for it in a heartbeat over a v-strom. Less said about the SV650 the better. It's one of the blandest bikes I've ever ridden. Thik the Bros 400 was match.

What I' waiting for is the rumoured XTZ700 based around the same engine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:29 - 24 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Sperg mode activated*

I like how the downpipes are shaped around and away from the oil filter. I bet you could do an oil and filter change on that in about 5 minutes!!

Drooling
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:46 - 24 May 2016    Post subject: Re: MT07 Tracer / Tracer 700 Reply with quote

Some Joker wrote:
Crossplane philosophy' design for a deep & linear torque

WTF does that even mean when applied to an in-line twin?

Edit: Save your pennies and wait for the Supercharged Z900RS instead Thumbs Up

https://motorbikewriter.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Kawasaki-Z900.jpg

techathy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:53 - 24 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

c-m wrote:
It's a weird one. I like it, but as a two up tourer I'd want more than 70bhp even if it is at the rear wheel. Hell as a solo tourer on tarmac I'd want more than that.

But it's a damn sight closer to the litre bikes than the V-Strom & Versys 650. This is a touch abstract but relative acceleration based on kerb weight with 100kg of rider & gear.
https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/accel.png
Top - relative acceleration with the same gear
Bottom - relative acceleration with the same top speed in a gear.

wristjob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:08 - 24 May 2016    Post subject: Re: MT07 Tracer / Tracer 700 Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
Some Joker wrote:

Edit: Save your pennies and wait for the Supercharged Z900RS instead Thumbs Up

https://motorbikewriter.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Kawasaki-Z900.jpg

that is a very pretty picture.
if it were a bike you could buy i would give it a try.
if they make it and it has a ton of power and does steering and stopping as well as a tuono or s1000r
then TAKE MY MONEY!

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:32 - 24 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Yamaha do seem to have kept this one quiet compared to the fuss they've made about the rest of the MT lineup. I only realised there was a 700 Tracer last week when I was looking at Yamaha new stock from Millennium in St. Helens.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Yorkshire Geek
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:44 - 24 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's rather nice, want!

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:30 - 24 May 2016    Post subject: Re: MT07 Tracer / Tracer 700 Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
Some Joker wrote:

Marketing men clutching at straws. It's a 270 deg crank, so has that not-quite-vtwin / tractor sound of ER6.

With the right can, I think it would be ok, plus maintenance advantages of IL.

MT07 tiny tank is a put off, this resolves it. 200 mile range without too much bother.

I would much rather this compared to a 240kg beast (ie BMW GS).

kaintxu
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:31 - 21 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I´m seriously considering this bike.

Insurance companies are asking me for a ripoff, 2000 pounds, due to it being in an underground residential private car park instead of garage. So instead of the Tracer 900 I wanted I might go for this as it is cheaper.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:32 - 21 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really one of you people that gets wet pants over a pumped up semi adventure bike style exercise on a decent middle weight bike, but then I don't like cross over cars or anything that crosses boundaries between exact styles or purposes either.

I don't get how a taller bike with more weight and less aerodynamics, yet with the same horse power is better to ride? It therefore must be an image thing, and I don't buy bikes on image really.

Oh and someone said that it's a 70bhp bike at the back wheel, and yet Yamaha claim 74bhp at the crankshaft. Someone could be lying about numbers, or perhaps people are mistaken? Because I bet my last breath it's not both!

To OP I'd take a versays 650 if it's cheaper, and it's the original and pure design, not an attempt to go a notch higher whilst copying the rivals DNA.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:43 - 21 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I'd take a versays 650 if it's cheaper

Would you pay £500 more for one though?

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:41 - 22 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
To OP I'd take a versays 650 if it's cheaper, and it's the original and pure design, not an attempt to go a notch higher whilst copying the rivals DNA.

I don't think I fully understand what's been said. Do you mean it's a designed tourer type thing? I always thought it was an ER-6 in a dress.

https://ste.india.com/sites/default/files/2015/12/24/444764-kawasaki-650.jpg

https://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcycles/2013models/2013-Kawasaki-ER6n1.jpg

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:14 - 22 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah ER6 in a dress or more like a set of hiking boots and cargo pants, but the fact remains it is and was the first 650cc middle weight roadster to be made into a mini wannabe R1200GS. That's why I like it more, and I do prefer the looks to the Yam too, it's more minimalist looking I'd say.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:19 - 22 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a meh from me. Will need better suspension/springs as soon as it leaves the dealer. Good if you really want to try the Charlie/Ewan thing but can't stretch to a R1200GS, or they're too big for you.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:51 - 23 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Yeah ER6 in a dress or more like a set of hiking boots and cargo pants, but the fact remains it is and was the first 650cc middle weight roadster to be made into a mini wannabe R1200GS.

Discounting Suzuki building the V-Strom 650 around an SV650 engine.

Or for that matter, that the KLE500 is a gripped and sorted GPZ500. I know you said 650, but the the MT-07 isn't.

It just seems a bit peculiar picking the Versys as being an original concept and therefore somehow purer than the Tracer.

The Yamaha is lighter, more powerful, torquier and £500 cheaper, so if you need racebike for your touring, upgrade the suspension and you'll still come out ahead.

Rogue_Shadow
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:40 - 23 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still no reviews with my local dealer having No idea when they are receiving stock Crying or Very sad

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:52 - 23 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might have successfully picked a few holes in my argument, and reminded me I'm forgetting alot of shit like another BCF'er does frequently. Laughing

But the biggun R1200GS now runs 17'' tubeless wheels does it not? The versays is the first mini me bike running the same size rims?

V-strom has different front and rear wheel sizes, and there's no advantage to that as it's a bit fat and crap hence being easily forgotten. You did say it was SV650 based. Wink

The KLE is a better mini adventure bike, and probably the first small twin example, please don't say TDR250 as it's beyond shit off road.

But the KLE never had a 17'' wheels version with sporty road tyres like the BMW, or the Triumph tiger 1050.

Rogue_Shadow
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:23 - 29 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogue_Shadow wrote:
Still no reviews with my local dealer having No idea when they are receiving stock Crying or Very sad

https://www.visordown.com/road-tests-first-rides/first-ride-yamaha-tracer-700-review

Dance!

So they seem to be sticking with the Tracer 700 name.
Yet the badge clears states MT07 Tracer Neutral

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:00 - 29 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very positive review and, as said by the reviewer, a lot of bike for the money Thumbs Up Sounds like it would suit those roads down in Cornishland.

Only negative for me, that would really have made it desirable, is the lack of a USD fork up front.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:43 - 29 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

£6300.. that's not a bad price at all. USD forks would have been nice, but it would have pushed the cost up, and the MT-09 Tracer is only £8149 - 1800 quid difference.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 301 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2