Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

HGV driver causes massive six-car collision

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Found on the 'Net
View previous topic : View next topic  

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:57 - 23 May 2016    Post subject: HGV driver causes massive six-car collision Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/lE8LvKdjzaY

Clearly on autopilot, can't have been looking at the road in the slightest. These kinds of crashes really piss me off

Nobody died but there were injuries.

He was jailed for 15 months.

Some vague info here: https://www.idiotukdriversexposed.com/driver-jailed-hgv-causes-six-car-collision/

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 04:10 - 24 May 2016    Post subject: Re: HGV driver causes massive six-car collision Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
https://youtu.be/lE8LvKdjzaY

Clearly on autopilot, can't have been looking at the road in the slightest. These kinds of crashes really piss me off

Nobody died but there were injuries.

He was jailed for 15 months.

Some vague info here: https://www.idiotukdriversexposed.com/driver-jailed-hgv-causes-six-car-collision/

I have two things to say;
1: Maybe he forgot that he wasn't on his bike.
2: Stuff like this should be shown to before people can pass a driving test.

James83
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 04:23 - 24 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit more info here - https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/watch-horrifying-moment-lorry-ploughs-11373837

Looks like one of the injured was a bike coming the other way, hit one of the cars thrown into his path.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:36 - 24 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

FAT cholestorol dump falls asleep doing his chair based job with a heater blowing on him. Fancy that!
He'd probably just had a full english a short time before too and snoozed off watching the football on
his dash mounted laptop/tv. A STRICTER 4 yearly medical is whats needed, with dramatic excess weight
being an instant fail. The industry needs to clean its image up a bit. The guy in the article looks pretty typical
of many lorry drivers I have met. I've met a few who can barely get up in the cab, and need a minute to compose
themselves once they have.

That looks to me like the cruise was on in the vid, as the truck never slowed much until fatboy woke up.
Whoever thought fitting cruise on lorries was a good thing needs a slap, these guys are supposed to be working,
i.e. driving the fucking thing. I'd ban auto gearboxes while I'm at it, make them at least move an arm and a
leg a bit, you can't press drive and switch off like you can with these modern trucks.

This driver is slim (read not English) at least, but would you want him following you down the road.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIJ4yROg7Ng

Laughing

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:49 - 24 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

James83 wrote:
Looks like one of the injured was a bike coming the other way, hit one of the cars thrown into his path.

Poor sod. I'd watch the footage last night and had a moment of joy as I assume he'd manage to swerve or inadvertently avoid the lorry coming into his lane. Come past the camera at some speed, lucky chap I'd imagine.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:25 - 24 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
HGV drivers .......I've met a few who can barely get up in the cab,

are you licenced ?

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:40 - 24 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I blame the massive windscreen sun visor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:50 - 24 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was class 1 HGV is the only licence I don't hold. Pretty sure my medical has expired now though. It's been a while since I drove anything that my car licence doesn't cover. A lot of changes have been made to the licence categories in more recent years and I believe theres some NVQ thing you have to do now as well. I have a few pals still in the industry. One of my best friends is a bulk flour tanker driver, I used to be his drivers mate 24/25 or so years ago, got the truck bug, and did class 2 rigid test at 21. Did some agency work but couldn't find any perm places because of my age (it's been lowered to 18 now) so 'retrained' and went on the buses because a steady wage was important to me then. After the buses, did lots of building related driving work, pickups tippers etc and put a 5 year spell in driving a 7.5 tonne flatbed with hiab servicing Central London building sites. That came with plenty of graft too. Bus drivers are a bunch of fatties as well, driving solely is a terrible job for a man to do really. The one place where we gain weight easily being around our gut and that does next to nothing all day in a driving job. Back in the flour days, (my mates been on same firm for 30 years) we were on bags so the exercise we got between journeys more than made up for the sedentary parts of the day. We used to handball 10-20 tonnes of flour every day.

Terrible job for your health with no real reason to stay in reasonable shape once you have the ticket, unless there's a bit of collar to go with it. Bit like how coppers are fit when they join up, after a few years of riding in a patrol car the backsides start to widen. Some of the sights you see climbing out of truck cabs at the services aren't even person shaped any more.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=fat+trucker&rlz=1C1CHWA_enGB592GB592&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiLlerYuPLMAhUmD8AKHXKQDQ0Q_AUIBygB&biw=1366&bih=667

Last edited by grr666 on 11:21 - 24 May 2016; edited 1 time in total

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:05 - 24 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
What was class 1 HGV is the only licence I don't hold. Same here. Pretty sure my medical has expired now though. Same here. It's been a while since I drove anything that my car licence doesn't cover. And again. A lot of changes have been made to the licence categories in more recent years and I believe theres some NVQ thing you have to do now as well. Think I'll leave it then.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:15 - 24 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must have fallen asleep Shocked So he could have been playing with his phone, or trying to find his penis.

A bit like the Glasgow bin lorry crash, wtf drive at all, but particularly a lorry if you're prone to dozing off/fainting.

Odd how a) the cars ahead of the accident saw/heard the out of control lorry and got out of its way (good obs there) and b) the merc having likely seen what had just happened carried on its way Thinking

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:39 - 24 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't gonna mention scootch bin lorry guy, but he wasn't what you'd call svelte either. Surely there can't be a connection
with being a massively fat out of shape fucker with an awful diet and and an inability to either stay awake for more than a
few hours at a time or move slightly without suffering a heart attack??? I suppose the DSS and NHS are best placed to answer that one. Rolling Eyes

Ideal HGV driver material then Shocked , after all 40 tonne trucks drive themselves these days. Laughing I bet there's more sleep apnea a
amongst men who drive for a living than any other group as well. Lovely healthy guys, bursting with vitality then,
driving huge mobile battering rams. Annoyingly, the driver would have probably been uninjured, a combination of
being 7ft off the ground and all that padding probably.

The medical side of the job needs more emphasis and tighter regulation IMO.

Quote:
Here is a list of some of the things a physician is required to check in during the HGV medical:

Eyesight – The eyesight requirement for HGV drivers is a bit more stringent than it is for car drivers. You will need to be able to see adequately out of each eye individually, with or without corrective lenses. If you have a complete loss of vision in one eye, you may still be eligible to drive professionally if you can pass the vision test. The physician will be testing your visual acuity and total field of vision.

Neurological Problems – Neurological problems can have serious consequences for any driver. A physician will examine the HGV student and ask questions relating to things such as epilepsy, seizures, blackouts, memory problems, Parkinson's or Alzheimer's disease, narcolepsy and cataplexy, stroke, prior brain surgery, or any chronic neurological condition such as multiple sclerosis.

Mental Health – HGV drivers must also be in good mental health. Doctors will want to discuss all sorts of mental health issues including depression, hospitalisation for psychiatric issues, dementia, cognitive impairment, etc.

Alcohol and Drugs – It is illegal to operate an HGV with drugs or alcohol in the system. Knowing that, it is almost impossible for a chronic alcoholic or drug user to hold an HGV driving job. During the HGV medical, a doctor will look for any signs of chronic drug and alcohol use.

Diabetes – There may be concerns with drivers who need regular insulin to control diabetes. The condition will not automatically disqualify a student from becoming a professional driver, but his or her diabetes must be well-managed in order to proceed.

Heart Conditions – Even the most benign heart condition can lead to serious problems in the future. Therefore, doctors check students for any potential heart conditions including murmurs, peripheral arterial disease (PAD), aneurysms, and the like.

Sleep Disorders – A leading cause of serious accidents among HGV drivers is a lack of sleep. Therefore, the HGV medical exam includes looking for signs and symptoms of sleep disorders. This is one area in which candidates must be especially honest. A sleep disorder does not necessarily mean automatic disqualification. As long as the disorder can be managed, the candidate should be able to proceed.

This list of conditions may make it seem as if a candidate must be a perfect physical specimen in order to be licenced as an HGV driver. But this is not so. As we have already stated numerous times, you need only be in reasonably good health to pass your HGV medical.

Source- https://www.hgvtraining.co.uk/hgv-medical.html[/b]

Would matey boy pass that lot now? Looking at the pictures I'd say no if the thresholds were more realistic.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:03 - 24 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
What was class 1 HGV is the only licence I don't hold.

that would be a C+E .. an old class 2 included C+E limited to draw bars.
which is what you would have got on 01.01.1997

grr666 wrote:
A lot of changes have been made to the licence categories in more recent years and I believe theres some NVQ thing you have to do now as well.

drivers CPC .. not to be confused with a transport managers CPC .. the two are different.. first is an attendance only required 40 hrs course .. the second is a tick test..

grr666 wrote:

Bus drivers are a bunch of fatties as well, driving solely is a terrible job for a man to do really.

not all drivers are fatties .. most with heart problems ( stress) are skinney.

fatties tend to suffer blood pressure problems..

i walk or cycle 5.6 miles every workin day in preperation for my 2018 medical.

truth is though you just hate fat bastards don`t you. Wink

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:29 - 24 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:

Only if they ate all the pies.

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:45 - 24 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
Copycat73 wrote:

Only if they ate all the pies.

That'll be the skinny ones, the fat ones are just wishing they could Smile

Chuffin Nora
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:31 - 25 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Gibson was *driving* the articulated lorry...when [it] collided with a white Renault Kangoo which in turn struck a grey Volkswagen Golf, a white BMW 1 Series, a black Nisssan Qashqai and a black Kawasaki motorcycle.

So, all things being equal, Kawasaki manufactures a motorcycle called a motorcycle. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
[Raj Punia, defending,] said "Gibson [54] had been driving since he was 17…"

Jeez, no wonder he fell asleep. Shocked

Quote:
Investigating Officer, PC Craig Marshall of Warwickshire Police’ Operational Patrol Unit said: “We have issued the footage...as a warning to drivers to not fall asleep when behind the wheel.

“Mr Gibson being asleep had caused substantial damage, and had the potential to cause loss of life of those within the vehicles that were struck in the space of a few seconds.

“All of this could have been avoided if he had not been asleep.

FTFH Thumbs Up

Thus und therefore, in the opinion of my learnēd self, a miscarriage of justice has occurred, wherein the defendant has been sent down on the grounds of Dangerous Driving.
Surely, though, if he was asleep -- as in unconscious -- in no way, shape or form can it be said that he was driving, because to be able to drive requires one to be awake. Ja?
Simple.

Up like a kipper done, and no mistake.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 338 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Found on the 'Net All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1