Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Shall I upgrade now or wait?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

roadstarr
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:27 - 22 May 2016    Post subject: Shall I upgrade now or wait? Reply with quote

Hello fellow riders,

I would like to share my thoughts and ask for your opinion in regards to upgrading to a bigger bike soon or wait a bit for more cash and hence better bike.

I currently have a 2014 Yamaha YBR 125 which I was thinking of selling and getting a Hornet 2002 or something similar (naked style preferably) for £1500-2000. The bikes I am looking at look mechanically fine and should do the job but I they are lacking a bit of that newer more interesting looking bikes excitement (in my opinion).

It hasn't been long since I passed my DAS and I feel eager to jump on a bigger bike but I am not sure If I should do it now or save more money and get something better in few months / year ?

Sounds like a silly questions but I am changing minds constantly here.

Thanks in advance for the inputs everyone.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 22:33 - 22 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it if you want. I wanted a new bike and just bought one. If you find one you like and you have the cash? Game on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Cronik
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:40 - 22 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Negative. Wait some 22 years you impulsive bull.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 22 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something of which I don't really know a whole lot about but keep reading small comments regarding and I shall mention is that of some insurance companies not swapping 125's for bigger bikes. Worth a phone before hand to check that zed company will swap a bike over for just an admin fee / whatever other charge they pull out of thin air?

Outside of that possible hurdle if you've found a bike you can inspect in person, have the funds for and can tax / swap the insurance over why not? Sell the 125 on afterwards and recoup some funds and you're on your way.

Just treat the first "big bike" as one that teaches you where you want to go from then on and if you end up liking it then it's an all in one and everyone's a winner.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:50 - 23 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sell 125, buy Hornet, look after Hornet and save up for better bike. Sell hornet in a year for the same price, put towards savings and buy better bike.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 06:44 - 23 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep YBR, save up for bigger bike, get brain tumour, weep on deathbed.

Hornet. Or Fazer. Now.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:10 - 23 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's always that slightly nicer bike that you could save a bit longer for. No reason you can't continue saving while riding a Hornet and having fun on a big bike. Seriously, do it.

Ericck
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:35 - 23 May 2016    Post subject: Shall I upgrade now or wait? Reply with quote

Summer is now and it doesn't last long Smile
Previous Bikes: Yamaha FS1E, Mobylette Moped Thingy, Suzuki GS125, Kawasaki Zephyr 550, Kawasaki Zephyr 750, Kawasaki ER500, Suzuki Bandit 600, Honda CBR600F, Triumph Street Triple 675, Suzuki V Strom 650.

Conzar
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:58 - 23 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the Hornet, thank us after riding it for a week
11:05:35 Rob Fzs: i just wanna own an rd350 valve before they send us to war with durkadurkastan

Hefty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 12:27 - 23 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just got one, another +1 for the Hornet Thumbs Up

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:30 - 23 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the bigger bike.

However, wait until current insurance runs out or you'll likely get shafted on that.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:39 - 23 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good spot. Definitely worth checking how much you'll get rinsed for before committing.

Reality is such a drag. Sad
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:21 - 23 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some insurers pay pay up pro-rata straight away on cancellation, and I've had fees waived twice when I've had a mid term adjustment "because we'd rather you left us happy and considered coming back" the exception here has been MCE who took 6 months to refund my 125 policy, and tried to do claim there was less than 90 days left (there were over 120, i sent them a list of all the days for which I required a refund).

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:00 - 23 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with ZX7R on this, though I understand the points being made about summer is short and now, and you could always say I'll just save a bit more for an XYZ, and never buy anything.

I think the real issue with many new DAS graduates, is a lack of knowledge and experience of bikes and therefore them not knowing what they really want when they do buy something.

You can do the pass the parcel thing for 2-3years in which time you might get though enough bikes to decide what's for you and what is a keeper bike? Or 4-5bikes in you might be even more confused as to what is really you? Either that or you get a taste for chopping and changing bikes every year so you think it's the norm.

I'd keep saving and really think about what I wanted and not really compromise on that ideal within reason. I'd also be looking at insurance and seeing if keeping the 125 will not increase your premium on a multi bike policy. If so I'd be budgeting to keep my YBR as a second bike for the runabout and winter stuff, so my shiny fireblade (obviously) is kept for riding when I wanted to, and not as an all year round get me to work hack while watching it get knackered and tatty and wishing I had a cheap little commuter again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Hefty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:01 - 23 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZX-7R wrote:
I would rather wait and buy what i want than buy a stepping stone just for the sake of it.

Every stepping stone is more experience on different bikes though? Especially if OP still isnt sure what they want. Whats the point in sticking with the same bike & making no progress.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:31 - 23 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZX-7R wrote:
I would rather wait and buy what i want than buy a stepping stone just for the sake of it.

How do you know what you want until you've tried it?

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:58 - 23 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think 2years aboard a 25bhp 125 gamma, would be a hardship to me, especially as it's more than a 1/4 of the power of the big bore 500 version, and has the two stroke delivery feeling like it's big brother. Its a sensible and appropriate machine to have before a big RG I'd say!

I see the point about new riders getting out there and trying out some bikes, and maybe having say a softer 600 or 1000 before the full on sportsbike or whatever is possibly sensible or a skill developing stepping stone.

My simplistic little mind likes to think we all have a dream bike or ideal lusted for machine that we want to buy and that we shouldn't piss around with working up to it, except from a financial perspective.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:02 - 23 May 2016    Post subject: Re: Shall I upgrade now or wait? Reply with quote

roadstarr wrote:

I currently have a 2014 Yamaha YBR 125 which I was thinking of selling and getting a Hornet 2002 or something similar (naked style preferably) for £1500-2000. The bikes I am looking at look mechanically fine and should do the job but I they are lacking a bit of that newer more interesting looking bikes excitement (in my opinion).

Once your at 9k rpm on your favourite road on a hot sunny day, you probably won't give a fig if your bike looks interesting or not.

As others have said, buy Hornet/Fazer, enjoy, sell in a year if you want to having probably lost no money and gained a lot of grins Smile

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:21 - 23 May 2016    Post subject: Re: Shall I upgrade now or wait? Reply with quote

roadstarr wrote:
Hello fellow riders,

I would like to share my thoughts and ask for your opinion in regards to upgrading to a bigger bike soon or wait a bit for more cash and hence Street Triple.

Thanks in advance for the inputs everyone.

You're very welcome.

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:54 - 25 May 2016    Post subject: Re: Shall I upgrade now or wait? Reply with quote

roadstarr wrote:

It hasn't been long since I passed my DAS and I feel eager to jump on a bigger bike but I am not sure If I should do it now or save more money and get something better in few months / year ?

Here is the news for you. The big bike most pleasant part is NOT how it looks, but how it rides.

On that basis get the Hornet now and forget about newer more interesting gay looking bikes.

pablodrugsmul...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:15 - 25 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

As already mentioned check about insurance, they wouldnt let me switch my cbf125 to my fazer 600 and it cost me. I wanted a v strom, transalp etc but ended up on a fazer, considerably older than id hoped but its been amazing, i have no regrets and in the future i will get the v strom i lusted after but for now im more than happy on my fazer and even though its not the best looking bike ive still had people admiring it, the metal flake blue paint and gold wheels probably help.

Personally i think its daft when people buy a car/bike just because of how it looks and i thought that was more something women do, when your riding it you dont really get to look at much but the dials and your tank anyway. If you buy one of the typical starter big bikes (fazer, hornet, bandit) and take reasonable care of it then your likely to sell it on for around the same price, the other side of it is if you do come off or make a mistake id rather fuck up my cheap old bike than a brand new bike at a major loss.

Mikado
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:08 - 26 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Hornet. Or Fazer. Now.

This quote is brilliant - will use it as justification to the other half 🤔

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:54 - 26 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikado wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Hornet. Or Fazer. Now.

This quote is brilliant - will use it as justification to the other half 🤔

Inspired by real life events. A super fit uncle dropping dead with a brain tumour is what made me sod off all the "you gonna die" hectoring and just get on with it. We're all gonna die.

https://stream1.gifsoup.com/view6/4729436/predator-billy-o.gif
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 327 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1