Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Visor/Pinlock question

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

HondaPaul
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 01:40 - 25 May 2016    Post subject: Visor/Pinlock question Reply with quote

Hi all from a forum newbie.
I currently have a Shoei NXR Mystify TC-5, it has a clear visor and a clear pinlock insert (DKS301) it says on the packaging it came in not to use it at night. I don't usually ride a lot at night, but even still I can't see it being a problem. is there a problem using a pinlock at night? I also have a question about tinted visors, light tint of course. are they road legal, if so is it better to use a clear or tinted pinlock with a tinted visor, or even no pinlock at all? I did try wearing a pair of sunglasses, and although the pinlock stops the visor misting up with the visor locked down, it doesn't stop my sunglasses misting up. even though as far as I have been able to find out, sunglasses as dark as you like under a clear visor are legal where a tinted visor as dark as said sunglasses is not. there is also the option of a tinted pinlock, but I'm not sure on the legality of that.

Please can someone help point me in the right direction.
Thanks in advance Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ben90
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 06:03 - 25 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clear pinlocks can be used anytime, no idea what that packaging was harping on about unless it's one of those fancy reactive ones?

Light tint visors have 'DAYLIGHT USE ONLY' or some such stamped on them, they're fine to use but the level of tint is pointless. Save your money.

I have two visors, one clear and one dark tint, both with clear pinlocks. I bought two pinlocks after very quickly getting fed up of switching it every five minutes. Dark visors are technically illegal, but usually unenforced. Police recognise the benefits, there's a link to the ACPO guidelines somewhere which states something about advising only.

Buy a dark visor, don't ride like a tit in front of the constabulary and you'll be fine. Thumbs Up

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:22 - 25 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben90 wrote:
Clear pinlocks can be used anytime, no idea what that packaging was harping on about unless it's one of those fancy reactive ones?

Light tint visors have 'DAYLIGHT USE ONLY' or some such stamped on them, they're fine to use but the level of tint is pointless. Save your money.

I have two visors, one clear and one dark tint, both with clear pinlocks. I bought two pinlocks after very quickly getting fed up of switching it every five minutes. Dark visors are technically illegal, but usually unenforced. Police recognise the benefits, there's a link to the ACPO guidelines somewhere which states something about advising only.

Buy a dark visor, don't ride like a tit in front of the constabulary and you'll be fine. Thumbs Up

If the OP rides like a tit then a light tint visor isn't much help😀.
OP A tinted insert is easier to carry than a visor so I'd opt for insert slipped into a visor bag that wraps round you waist.
Only issue is that Pinlocks have a moisture absorbing coating on the side facing the visor, stuff around a sweaty midriff will load it with moisture which may present some fogging problems when swapped. And there's the other main issue of scratching. The safest place to store Pinlocks is unused in packet or on a visor on the hat. But that will be a problem for any visor too.

I haven't needed a dark insert for years since my hat has a flip down dark bit inside its roof.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:47 - 25 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinlock visors will distort light a little bit more as they are a second layer of plastic - so headlights at night can have a bit more glare. It's never been a problem for me in so far as I've never even noticed it. I think it's a precautionary don't sue us if you're stupid enough to ride around without being able to see anything and then think it's our fault.
Pinlocks are made of softer plastic than visors. Visors themselves will scratch easily enough, pinlocks will scratch very easily. Totally agree with MCN - best place for a pinlock is either in an unopened packet, or on the helmet and then left untouched. Once they get scratched they will have more glare and starring at night, as will a visor.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:39 - 25 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually found my pinlock fairly poor at night, it distorted headlights etc. to the point where I felt uncomfortable on unfamiliar roads. For this and other reasons I wouldn't have another.

There's a legal tint, but it's so light it doesn't stop much sun. You'll get away with a fully tinted visor, technically it's illegal, but you don't hear of it being enforced very often (can't think of any example personally).

I like tinted visors, but since opting for a visor strip it removed the need for one. Factor in grey/overcast days, tree lined roads, and not knowing if you're going to be heading home in the dark they can be a bit of an inconvenience.

Dalemac
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:06 - 25 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helmet with a flip down sun visor is a good choice. Mine is a Shark Skwal.

I had ridden for years without a flip down sun visor, now after 3 months of having one, I will never, ever buy a helmet without one!

Best part is they are 100% legal.

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:08 - 25 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do get a bit more glare from headlights at night with a pinlock. It's not bad enough to be a real problem though, not to me anyway. In fact, it's much more preferable to a fogged up visor, a frozen and/or wet face from having to crack the visor open.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

HondaPaul
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:57 - 25 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys.
I'll be purchasing a dark tinted visor and another clear pinlock insert this weekend.
thanks again Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Doink
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 02:10 - 27 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dalemac wrote:
Helmet with a flip down sun visor is a good choice. Mine is a Shark Skwal.

I had ridden for years without a flip down sun visor, now after 3 months of having one, I will never, ever buy a helmet without one!

Best part is they are 100% legal.

And you can flip down the sun visor as and when you need it, so handy.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:33 - 27 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flip down sun visors are good, but not great IME. I've got a Shark Speed R and a Schuberth C3 Pro. On both of them in bright conditions or low winter sun the visor isn't dark enough on it's own so I have to wear sunglasses. On both of them the sun visor is prone to misting. It is still useful when out and about and conditions change (you turn a corner and have the sun straight in your eyes), but when I go out and it is sunny I just put sunglasses on.

An optional very dark "not legal for road use" flip down would be very useful, but they seem not to be available.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:05 - 27 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:
Flip down sun visors are good, but not great IME. I've got a Shark Speed R and a Schuberth C3 Pro. On both of them in bright conditions or low winter sun the visor isn't dark enough on it's own so I have to wear sunglasses. On both of them the sun visor is prone to misting. It is still useful when out and about and conditions change (you turn a corner and have the sun straight in your eyes), but when I go out and it is sunny Embarassed I just put sunglasses on.

An optional very dark "not legal for road use" flip down would be very useful, but they seem not to be available.

Stop looking directly at our sun. She's very shy and can become embarrassed if you see her spots.
I use c3 and never use sun glasses even in madman winter sun. Misting is a ventilation thing. Ventilate and it's fine.
Only issue with the schuberth insert is that it's a clear prastic insert but 'painted' with tint. So if you use the wrong cleaners the tint rubs off the useless Bastirts.... Embarassed

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:55 - 27 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not being dazzled by the sun is difficult in low sun winter conditions. I commute heading east in the morning, which makes it worse, and in these conditions the built-in sun visor is inadequate. It is better than nothing, but nowhere near as good as sunglasses (and some days I use both sunglasses plus the visor).

I do know about ventilation, but again that is tricky in poor, humid conditions. The main visor has a pinlock, the sun visor doesn't. Even without a pinlock, cracking the main visor open demists the main visor more easily than the sun visor, as that is where the airflow is. It simply isn't going to be as easy to keep it mist free (this also applies to sunglasses) regardless of any claimed "anti fog" coatings. Over winter I use a foggy mask to deal with this issue.

As I said, built-in sun visors are good but not great.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:24 - 27 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The C3 sun visor is VERY dark and darker than a legal tint or most standard 'dark' tint visors. It is too dark to use at night or in darker overcast days.

You maybe have light sensitive vision.

Do you do use Belladonna eye drops? Smile

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:41 - 27 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

My C3 Pro is darker than my Shark, but not as dark as my sunglasses (nothing special - Bolle contour metal framed smoke lens, chosen as they are impact resistant, have a foam dust guard at the top of the frame and at under £7 a pair are cheap enough to not care about and leave pairs in the cars and bike jacket etc.).

Actually I will revise my statement a little; the Shark is nowhere near as good as sunglasses in low sun. The C3 does approach them, but isn't as good.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:54 - 27 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope I still say......

Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 307 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1