Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New Member, New Bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Googley
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:27 - 26 May 2016    Post subject: New Member, New Bike? Reply with quote

Hello chaps.

New to the forum, just wanted to introduce myself. I live in Surrey near Gatwick. Started out on a yzf125 for a few years, passed my DAS and changed to a 2010 Street triple R.

I have had the striple for a while now, while I do love the bike, I have been told while on honeymoon (currently in the Maldives) that I can have a new bike! A brand new shiny one! Very Happy Not sure what magic I worked for that one but I'm not going to argue with it.

I have been looking up and reading reviews for 100's of bikes and can't seem to make a decision. I have a van for work so I dont use the bike for commuting, just ride when ever I can. I want something that is going to scare me a bit but not sure if I want a supersports because I'm 6"4 and while I loved my little yzf it did play havoc on my wrists over longer journeys.

My current list is a little mixture, supersports are included. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Kawasaki z1000
Mt10
Mt09 Tracer
R6
Zx6r
New Street triple (although fancy something different).

Thanks Guys,

Googley

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:32 - 26 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSX-R 750 is a worthy competitor in that list.

Then again, if I was told to go buy a new bike, I'd seriously be looking at the BMW S1000RR, it's supposed to be sublime.

Googley
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:40 - 26 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did consider the BMW, not sure if maybe the price would be pushing my luck just a little too much! Wink

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:52 - 26 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might find the MT09 a but 'cheap' after the Striple.

Of those I'd like to play with an MT10.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:53 - 26 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about one of the big muscle bikes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:02 - 26 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote goes for MT10. I'd imagine it would keep you entertained for a while.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Albigularis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:05 - 26 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending how you're buying it, the S1000RR can be cheap.

An MT10 on pcp with £100 deposit is about £205 a month, an S1000RR Sport is about £215. Not a lot in it.

Last edited by Albigularis on 15:05 - 26 May 2016; edited 1 time in total
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Googley
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:06 - 26 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I was leaning more towards the Mt10 or z1000 because of the quirky looks. From reading the Mt10 is the more superior bike. Will have to try and get a test ride booked once I get home!

The BMW on Pcp doesn't sound too bad to be fair. Think I would rather get the naked version though. Again I think i may have to see if I can get on a demonstrator from somewhere.

Last edited by Googley on 15:08 - 26 May 2016; edited 1 time in total

BrownTrousers
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:07 - 26 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Speed triple?

Googley
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:15 - 26 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed triple would be tempting, however would be nice to freshen things up a bit with a different manufacturer. Would be a consideration though.

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:47 - 26 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go super sports. Have to give these things a go, if you don't like it then chop it in.

Actually if you're going brand new then that won't be the best of ideas.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:18 - 26 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I'll say is that if I were getting any new 2016 BMW then I'd only ride it away on PCP, with the option to just hand back the keys and walk away at the end of it.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:28 - 26 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Socket says, GSXR1000K5, however I must admit, aside from twin cans and a few little details, the 2010/2011 still feels as pokey and fresh as the K5/6 did.

I have one along side my 2010 Street Triple. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robbeh
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:07 - 26 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
All I'll say is that if I were getting any new 2016 BMW then I'd only ride it away on PCP, with the option to just hand back the keys and walk away at the end of it.

But if you hand it back does it effect your credit rating at all?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:07 - 26 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robbeh wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

I mean at the end of the PCP deal.

If it spacks itself big style out of warranty but before the end of the PCP you still have the option to sod them off and see what transpires.

Albigularis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:19 - 26 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robbeh wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

No. Either way, the credit agreement will show up as "settled" on your report.

They expect you to give it back, most people do that and start the process again.

henry hoover
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:32 - 26 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of that list i would go for the MT10 for max lulz. S1000rr is seriously butters if you ask me.

Xsr900 also worth a look

Robbeh
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:32 - 26 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the advantage is a new bike every 3 years that you will never own?

basically the same as I lease? And I guess you are limited to mileage?

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:25 - 26 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albigularis wrote:
An MT10 on pcp with £100 deposit is about £205 a month, an S1000RR Sport is about £215. Not a lot in it.

This mentality Rolling Eyes

How do you work that one out? Based on the Manufacturer's representative examples:

S1000RR Sport - £14,910 OTR. Optional final payment after 36 months would be £7554.17. APR is 9.9%. With a £100 deposit, you would have to pay £296.11 per month for 36 months. So, if you hand the bike back, the total cost of ownership for three years is £10,759.96.

Yamaha MT-10 - £10136 OTR. Optional final payment after 36 months would be £5,317. APR is 9.6%. With a £100 deposit, you would have to pay £195.91 per month for 36 months. So, if you hand the bike back, the total cost of ownership for three years is £7,152.76.

-

Either way it's a rip off.

- If you just bought the BMW outright you would easily get £9k for it after three years, probably more at the right time of year. Cost of ownership: £5-6k!
- If you just bought the Yamaha outright you would probably get £6-7k for it after three years. Cost of ownership: £3-4k!

-

So, what have we learned?

- PCP is awful. It's basically a high interest loan where you pay interest on most of the loan for all of the three years. It's likely to cost you nearly twice as much as it would cost if you had the cash, or if you found 0% CC, or even a 3.x% personal loan. PCP is only ever good if the agreed final value is very generous, which it invariably isn't.

- However you finance it, the BMW is likely to cost you significantly more than the Yamaha to own.

Googley
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 04:23 - 27 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex A wrote:
Albigularis wrote:

This mentality Rolling Eyes

How do you work that one out? Based on the Manufacturer's representative examples:

S1000RR Sport - £14,910 OTR. Optional final payment after 36 months would be £7554.17. APR is 9.9%. With a £100 deposit, you would have to pay £296.11 per month for 36 months. So, if you hand the bike back, the total cost of ownership for three years is £10,759.96.

Yamaha MT-10 - £10136 OTR. Optional final payment after 36 months would be £5,317. APR is 9.6%. With a £100 deposit, you would have to pay £195.91 per month for 36 months. So, if you hand the bike back, the total cost of ownership for three years is £7,152.76.

-

Either way it's a rip off.

- If you just bought the BMW outright you would easily get £9k for it after three years, probably more at the right time of year. Cost of ownership: £5-6k!
- If you just bought the Yamaha outright you would probably get £6-7k for it after three years. Cost of ownership: £3-4k!

-

So, what have we learned?

- PCP is awful. It's basically a high interest loan where you pay interest on most of the loan for all of the three years. It's likely to cost you nearly twice as much as it would cost if you had the cash, or if you found 0% CC, or even a 3.x% personal loan. PCP is only ever good if the agreed final value is very generous, which it invariably isn't.

- However you finance it, the BMW is likely to cost you significantly more than the Yamaha to own.

They are some good points. Cheers Alex. I think im going to get a test ride booked for shits and giggles. I'm in no real rush for the change, but I can get a little impatient like a kid on Xmas! I can get the best money for my striple this time of year so I suppose I have a few months to really decide. Leaning towards the Mt10 though I think. Think I will try and get a supersports test ride booked in but no one local to me has anything really, I think my local garage have a cbr600rr but may be worth just giving it a little go. No intention to buy one though really.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:02 - 27 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex A wrote:
Long term finance stuff

Agreed, PCP is aimed at people who don't look past their month end overdraft but want new shiny things that they can't really afford.
Every PCP deal I've seen has been horrific, especially considering how low interest rates currently are. It just amazes me.

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:30 - 28 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
Alex A wrote:
Long term finance stuff

Agreed, PCP is aimed at people who don't look past their month end overdraft but want new shiny things that they can't really afford.
Every PCP deal I've seen has been horrific, especially considering how low interest rates currently are. It just amazes me.

Bit of a blanket statement there! There are undoubtedly many people out there who buy things they can't afford on finance, however it isn't always the case. For all we know, the OP might have £15000 sat in his current account that he'd rather not spend in one hit. There's nothing wrong with buying something on finance providing it's affordable. I'm sick of the naysayers constantly labelling people for choosing to finance rather than pay cash, like they've never taken anything on the drip before. Thumbs Down

Let me ask you...do you have a mortgage? Let me guess, this is somehow different to financing a motorbike. "Oh, a house is an asset...it goes up in value", I hear you say. So what! You're still paying back a shed load of interest over the term!

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:31 - 28 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finance isn't bad in and of itself.

If someone wants to buy something on credit, fine. Nothing wrong with that. It's just that there are expensive ways of doing it (PCP!) and cheap ways of doing it (Personal Loan, 0% CC), and the difference in cost is often substantial. But people often seem blinkered to this, because '£x per month'.

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:51 - 28 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex A wrote:
Finance isn't bad in and of itself.

If someone wants to buy something on credit, fine. Nothing wrong with that. It's just that there are expensive ways of doing it (PCP!) and cheap ways of doing it (Personal Loan, 0% CC), and the difference in cost is often substantial. But people often seem blinkered to this, because '£x per month'.

That's the type of labelling I mean though, they aren't necessarily "blinkered", it just so happens that PCP fits their needs better. Mr Customer might be quite happy walking into a motorcycle dealership and paying 9.9% APR if those terms mean he can have a brand new bike for £200 a month and nil deposit.[/list]
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 328 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2