Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Anyone had any luck finding a previous bike they owned ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bluefrog
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:06 - 25 Jun 2016    Post subject: Anyone had any luck finding a previous bike they owned ? Reply with quote

Hi all, im wondering if anyone has had any luck finding a bike they sold.

I sold my first bike 13 years ago to a member of a few forums (one being this one) and i would love to get her back.

I know his first name and where he is from but thats it.

Have tried messaging alot of people with the first same name from the area but no luck. DVLA wont release details.

All i know is that she is currently SORN, so am hoping she hasnt been scrapped

Anyone got any suggestions ? asked a couple of people who seemed to know him but no one is getting back to me.

Name is Jonny or Jonny Aprilia on a couple of forums and he is from Hartlepool.

Got some pictures if anyone from that way wants to take a look. May recognize some land marks maybe ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wristjob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:10 - 25 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

why?

Bluefrog
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:12 - 25 Jun 2016    Post subject: Re: Anyone had any luck finding a previous bike they owned ? Reply with quote

She was my first ever bike, so many memories. Maybe im just getting old

Bluefrog wrote:

I sold my first bike 13 years ago to a member of a few forums (one being this one) and i would love to get her back.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:28 - 25 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the kinda thing I meant Smile Go on then what bike is it?

Bluefrog
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:32 - 25 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honda NSR 125 1992 on a J plate

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:25 - 26 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I holla. My old Gpz305 is currently up for sale nearby, in a bit of a sad state. I'm having to convince myself that I do not need to rescue it. Whistle
Just Google it This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Snod Blatter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:42 - 26 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw my old GS125 on ebay once, it had been crashed on a junction and left to rot in someone's shed. Sad.

I'm avoiding this in the future by just not selling any more bikes ever Thumbs Up

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:59 - 26 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Just to clarify 100%, do you want us older and often with a few quid to spend to do things right second time round, to be banned from owning our old bikes and all the iconic learner bikes from the 80's-90's?

Do you want us to not be allowed to buy and own classics because it could push up thier prices due to demand over supply, and give up all the two strokes to skint 17yr olds that can't afford a set of piston rings or gaskets and won't be disappointed or botherd when they are all wrecked in a few years, and none of them have or want to learn the skills to fabricate, engineer or machine new parts. Because engineering is not a fashionable career and all that.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 11:29 - 26 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Years ago in 1993 I traded in my Aprilia AF1 Futura for an RS125. In 2008 it turned up on Ebay and I bought it back. I had vaguely kept an eye out for it. But it just comes down to luck.

All the best

Katy

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:35 - 26 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see kinda the for and againsts to wanting or getting your old bikes back. Im sort of guilty, as only 5years after selling my old but mint KMX 200, I wanted another before they got to hard to find or restore/get spares for without worldwide eBay hunting and pulling your hair out over scarcity and prices of bit.

I got an A2 version in the same colours as my old A3, but in a right state and paid too much I spose too. But as long as I had one again it didn't need to be the same bike, and just knowing my old 92 bike still has an MOT in 2016, 16 years after I let it go is enough for me and I'm happy enough with that!

If you do buy old bikes back when they are still cheap, make sure you restore them sooner rather than later, as 9years ago I could have got the bits to fix mine without a battle and paying £££'s for rusty old spares just because there's none about now.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:15 - 26 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DVLA vehicle check website showed that my first bike ('93 grey import Yamaha XJR400) was exported around 2005. 😢 I recall it lingered at the bike shop where I p/ex'd it for about a year. Even then I'd considered getting it back.

I've had an eBay search for XJR400s just out of curiosity really (honest!) and there have been some chopped about "cafe racers" and some mingers but this one looks immaculate. If it wasn't 6 hours away I'd probably have to take a look. It's not purple like mine but still... Any takers? I'll be jealous.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131856170184?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:17 - 26 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
M.C wrote:

Just to clarify 100%, do you want us older and often with a few quid to spend to do things right second time round, to be banned from owning our old bikes and all the iconic learner bikes from the 80's-90's?

Do you want us to not be allowed to buy and own classics because it could push up thier prices due to demand over supply, and give up all the two strokes to skint 17yr olds that can't afford a set of piston rings or gaskets and won't be disappointed or botherd when they are all wrecked in a few years, and none of them have or want to learn the skills to fabricate, engineer or machine new parts. Because engineering is not a fashionable career and all that.

If you were restricted to a 125 (were you ever restricted to a 125?) you might really want/need a 2-stroke, but you can't cos they're all locked away in peoples sheds, and whenever one does escape onto the market they're going for stupid money.

I'm all for saving bikes that need to be saved, like this NSR that's slowly rotting in Bethnal Green:
https://i35.servimg.com/u/f35/15/13/82/47/nsr10.jpg
... but you're not saving them, you're killing them off like the OP in the other thread described.

If in 10, 20 years I'm hunting down my old XR I'll section myself under the mental health act Wink

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

I've had an eBay search for XJR400s just out of curiosity really (honest!) and there have been some chopped about "cafe racers" and some mingers but this one looks immaculate. If it wasn't 6 hours away I'd probably have to take a look. It's not purple like mine but still... Any takers? I'll be jealous.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131856170184?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Shocked £1900! I nearly bought one for around a grand last year, and I thought that was too much...

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:33 - 26 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw my Savage for sale - when I left it, it was a tidy, clean little custom. The bike I saw was a bodged rat. I had a sad.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:35 - 26 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

That's just up the road from me. I had a ponder on it, but not at anywhere near that price, and at over 200kg wet, it's hard to see the appeal over a 600. Also, "rare" is a synonym for "unsupported", and I'd be riding it rather than letting it "appreciate".

Are they all that?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:57 - 26 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's my emotional attachment but that's an uncommon bike in what appears to be original and immaculate condition. Tired ones have obvious signs like engine paint missing, patches of corrosion and rust poking through the chrome. I rode mine round North London and commuted round the M25 on it. Quick enough as a first big bike and it handled alright but eventually I wanted more speed. True about the weight but the bike was slim and with high bars so it was manageable, and as a bike on which to continue learning post-test, it was just the job. It looked beautiful and it was a time when grey import 400s were current and cool. Needs looking after to keep it nice. The advert needs better photos.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:29 - 26 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

If you were restricted to a 125 (were you ever restricted to a 125?) you might really want/need a 2-stroke, but you can't cos they're all locked away in peoples sheds, and whenever one does escape onto the market they're going for stupid money.

I'm all for saving bikes that need to be saved, like this NSR that's slowly rotting in Bethnal Green:
... but you're not saving them, you're killing them off like the OP in the other thread described.

If in 10, 20 years I'm hunting down my old XR I'll section myself under the mental health act Wink

I was never restricted to a 125, but though I rode quite a few in the early 90's I never had an 80's/90's two stroke until 98. That's only 5-6years, but I feel like I missed an age of good times on cool bikes. I got into MG metro's instead of bikes for most of that decade. Neutral

But to answer your question, no 17-19yr old today needs or wants a two stroke, as they are fussy bikes, they need some looking after, and even the fuel consumption alone takes away too much from your weekly alcohol/drugs/nights out or PlayStation game funds. How many teens will forgo all the above to afford to run an unrestricted&unreliable for the daily commute bike? And why should they? I'd be lexmoto'ing my way to work if it was me and spending my cash on enjoying my teen years more instead.

Oh and how I'll not laugh if you become an XR pervert in a few years time!

There's young blokes out there now restoring plastic scooters like the two stroke runners and speedfights, they had 15years ago as kids. My generation thought those bikes were a bit crap compared to what we could have had, but nostalgia in 25-30yr olds is saying otherwise now.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:10 - 26 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

That's just up the road from me. I had a ponder on it, but not at anywhere near that price, and at over 200kg wet, it's hard to see the appeal over a 600. Also, "rare" is a synonym for "unsupported", and I'd be riding it rather than letting it "appreciate".

I wonder the same thing, just as heavy as a 600 but minus the power. I nearly bought one because it was local and in budget, I suspect I was gazumped as I had cash ready and was about to go buy it when it was sold to someone else.

stevo as b4 wrote:

I was never restricted to a 125, but though I rode quite a few in the early 90's I never had an 80's/90's two stroke until 98. That's only 5-6years, but I feel like I missed an age of good times on cool bikes. I got into MG metro's instead of bikes for most of that decade. Neutral

But to answer your question, no 17-19yr old today needs or wants a two stroke, as they are fussy bikes, they need some looking after, and even the fuel consumption alone takes away too much from your weekly alcohol/drugs/nights out or PlayStation game funds. How many teens will forgo all the above to afford to run an unrestricted&unreliable for the daily commute bike? And why should they? I'd be lexmoto'ing my way to work if it was me and spending my cash on enjoying my teen years more instead.

Oh and how I'll not laugh if you become an XR pervert in a few years time!

There's young blokes out there now restoring plastic scooters like the two stroke runners and speedfights, they had 15years ago as kids. My generation thought those bikes were a bit crap compared to what we could have had, but nostalgia in 25-30yr olds is saying otherwise now.

Do you want another Metro then, or have you done that and its in the past? Smile I can understand if you feel you missed out on something, I feel that way regarding 2-strokes and jap' imports, but I'm not gonna pay stupid money to experience a piece of it. Plus I have a bike that starts first time, I can jump on and ride off straight away, that doesn't need anything doing to it.

I thought you had a Speedfight, and spent a fair amount of money on it? Whistle [ultimate ped boi nomination pending] Its sad youngins have to ride Lexmoto's, 4-stroke 125's are miserable Sad

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:08 - 26 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Suzuki gp100 turned up in a thread on here
I sold it to paddy who sold it on
Ended up being turned into a crap peice of art

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:22 - 26 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

I'm calling Bullshit ...in London it would have been stolen by now. Laughing

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:52 - 26 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuter_Tim wrote:

I'm calling Bullshit ...in London it would have been stolen by now. Laughing

Well it's in the islamic republic of Tower Hamlets so the punishment would be losing a hand Wink Actually I'm surprised its not been pinched as it has really $hitty locks... I hope bike thieves don't browse this forum, or it belongs to someone on this forum Razz

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:34 - 26 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not too fussed about another MG metro, as I had enough of their weak gearbox's first time round. You can't put in a tasty cammy 1380 let alone a turbo lump without it breaking something in the box or the diff sooner or later. But would I save one that's structurally sound if it would otherwise be sent for scrap, I dunno? I'd hate to see a good one be scrapped for a busted box or worn out A-series.

I'd have a 6R4 or the bits to build a replica and a nice V6 engine any day though. New cars suck compared to old. Who would buy a 208gti over a 205gti that's in like new condition?

I went full on ped boi with the speedfight when I was erm cough 24 Embarassed but I'd already got a 109bhp 600cc bike by then, and I'd sold my CG125 to buy it, and used some cash for tuning from selling the knackered TZR250 I'd had a year before that.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:57 - 27 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
My Suzuki gp100 turned up in a thread on here
I sold it to paddy who sold it on
Ended up being turned into a crap peice of art

Was that the one where the frame down-tube got cut out because... custom.... and a fire extinguisher strapped on as a fuel tank?

Ah, this 'un?

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/3UwAAOSwPc9W1LEh/$_57.JPG

"It will need re registering because it is no longer a GP100. This involves filling out a v55/5 form and paying a fee of £55, and then of course mot & tax & off you go!" Rolling Eyes

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:08 - 27 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the one Twisted Evil

Moxey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:13 - 27 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

That GP 100 Shocked think I'd be more than a little narked seeing it like that if it were mine (once sold it ain't yours I know but still)

I only regret selling my RXS 100, sold it for no reason at all other than a mate was desperate for transport, he had it two weeks then sold it for £300 more than what I sold it to him for Evil or Very Mad would love it back but most likely whoever has it "knows what it's worth" Rolling Eyes (I only gave £300 for it, sold for £400 after fitting tyres and new downpipe, all.it was worth to me £ wise).
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 298 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2