Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Strategies to avoid phone IM dominating your life...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:00 - 24 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:

Call me old fashioned I never reply on a text message the same day either. Ever.

If I ever reply it would be at least next day. All my friends/colleagues know that I do not check my messages often/daily. Hence I rarely get any messages from them. Also it helps to have disabled the text message sound alert.

When I do check my messages (some day/next day/this week/maybe) I may reply to one or two. Most likely I will use bulk delete options that say Depele All previous which cleans the phone nicely.

I hope that helps.

That's not old fashioned, that is sociopathic.

techathy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:08 - 24 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one thing to be is consistent in how you deal with people. My friends know that if they message me with nothing that doesn't need an immediate answer it'll hour or so during office hours but if it's something like "I've just come off my bike on the A143 near Little Wratting, can you pick me up?" it'll be a matter of a a few minutes with an answer either way.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:14 - 24 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said earlier, You've been trained well

techathy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:28 - 24 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
As I said earlier, You've been trained well

Assumption failure right there. Try again coming from the other direction Wink

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:33 - 25 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, since starting this thread, I have a different problem.

I am negotiating a contract with a businessman over whatsapp (don't get me started), and he can take 48 hours to view a message.

I think he might have the ticks disabled, but it is an absolute nightmare, because it has dragged out a negotiaton for more than a week. All dead time (no, there doesn't seem to be much I can do other that that right now).

Yes, China's use of Wechat is scary. People there really do respond instantly, at any time day or night, and expect others to do the same. Possibly another source of my nomophobia and phone IM anxiety.

Even now it is on-going. Anything I post on there gets a lot more traffic than Facebook (yay, friends).

Edit: He agreed. I has work in Malaysia Thumbs Up

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:56 - 25 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

techathy wrote:

Please elucidate.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:21 - 26 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
techathy wrote:

Please elucidate.

Well I for one really liked that article, and I trust the Harvard Professor of Psychology to be making some pretty adroit points.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:28 - 08 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following that article, and our discussion on here in general, I really put some effort in to curtailing my fiddling.

Internet as a whole is a time sponge, but I have no wifi in my place now.. just hotspotting off my phone so much easier.

No notifications or vibrations from any IM, and just occasionally check it.

I would suggest people wear a watch, that has helped a lot Thumbs Up

I turned chat off of my facebook as well, and because it kept turning itself back on like a needy smoke alarm, I turned chat off "for all but", now I barely ever seem online, and I can remove those who hit me up to much.

And previous needy friend is still a good friend, but we are not using Messenger at all (I sound like a teenager... ) and just occasionally using skype or sending proper emails.

So much more "free" time now.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:51 - 09 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always found if you continually fail to respond within 24 hours, your life gets quieter. It also helps to not be polite all the time.

Depends how much gratification you need.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:58 - 09 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sload wrote:
I have always found if you continually fail to respond within 24 hours, your life gets quieter. It also helps to not be polite all the time.

As I am finding out too.

I am getting on to delayed and closed replies, with promises to skype in future.

Very few people who actually want to bother me now though.

Terrified of the next relationship I end up in though. The ex was a total nightmare for it, and I get the feeling nowadays most will expect some twiddling conversation any day you don't meet up.

Come be naked at me and let me feed you sandwiches and tea, and then go home and ignore me for a few days.

This is the cycle Thumbs Up

Petalbriefs, where are you when I need you? Mr. Green

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:18 - 09 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

That article was interesting. I do have that problem, Chase stimulus like an addict clucking for a fix, don't like sitting doing nothing. Might try out some stuff to chill me out a bit.

Derivative
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:43 - 26 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I just don't.

If I actually want to speak to someone, or someone actually wants to speak to me, they call me. If they really do, we go for a nice walk or imbibe.

I actually enjoy turning off the phone. Reading books for example - you can't immerse yourself in the world of 1800 if you're reminded of the existence of Facebook every other minute.

I think it's a bit like junk food. Cake has me wanting more, then more, then more. After a few days off the stuff apples are tasty again, but without the craving.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:44 - 27 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, really impressed with my improvement over the last month.

Nuked Facebook off phone, a couple of stern chats, and a procrastination blocker on my computer (StayFocused) has made a big difference.

I also turned off chat for all but the 2 or 3 people I would like to catch up with whenever they're online, none of which are overly needy/determined to keep a conversation going for the sake of it.

I still want to check Facebook last thing at night or stuff, but my computer munched all my phone data pretty quickly this month, so I've not been able to surf. Have had no problem ignoring Facebook for 12 hours at a time.

[I'm starting to think it is actually Windows 10 blocking Chrome, because Chrome is barely running, but Edge is running beautifully... Windows 10, the subtle evil.]

I just went through and gentrified my facebook/locked most content, friend or not, and barely post on there. Feed in less, pull out less. Most of my friends have been unfollowed, so now I can skim through it in 10 minutes. I just nuked off a load of apps as well.

Scary that it has got to this point though, isn't it.... ?

The Disapproving Brit
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:06 - 27 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to regularly get complaints along the lines of "you didn't read my facebook message" or "you never replied to my text". My response has always been the same: "My phone is there for MY convenience, not yours. I'll look at messages, read emails and answer calls on my own schedule. If I'm doing something else, or even if I'm doing nothing else but can't be arsed to answer my phone, I won't. If you've sent me a text and it requires a response, you'll get one when it's convenient for me to send it. If it doesn't require a response, you probably won't get one."
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 242 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3