Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bought a new toy, but it's not a bike...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

Nope.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:29 - 10 Jul 2016    Post subject: Bought a new toy, but it's not a bike... Reply with quote

It's a Lathe! A Myford ML7 to be exact

Wanted one for a while for making up little bits like captive wheel spacers, crash bungs, foot pegs and the like. My neighbour happened to mention that he'd inherited one from his late father but had no time to use it so was looking to sell it. A Stanley trolley over the road and 500 of your British ponds later I had this plus a bunch of tooling in my garage:

https://c7.staticflickr.com/9/8641/28100169422_2d46686e54_z.jpg

The first thing to do was give it a once over, and it was mostly in pretty good condition as it obviously hasn't seen a lot of use. I noted that the drip oilers didn't really work and the belts definitely needed changing. Other then that I just striped, cleaned and re-lubricated most of the moving parts and polished up the handles a bit.

Then I fitted the new belts:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8752/28100167912_a823e52eb7_z.jpg

Which was a bit of a pain as you have to remove the main shaft out of the headstock which has two bearings on it. Not difficult just annoying.

Anyway, got the belts in and the covers back on:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8809/27588272264_2609228f5e_z.jpg

https://c4.staticflickr.com/9/8810/28203866275_74af8de99f_z.jpg

Then I stripped and cleaned out the oilers, re-assembled them and low and behold they work a treat!

Then I wired it into a fused isolator switch and an emergency stop button and it's all set:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/9/8895/28203866265_dc88b7004d_z.jpg

Now I've got to go through the tooling and work out what it all is Laughing

I've also got to buy some round bar stock to practise on (stainless and aluminium) so if anybody has a cheap source for some other than ebay I'd appreciate it Smile

spikenipple
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:58 - 10 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great price, congrats!

Cracking little bit of kit for what they are.

Put a pic of the tooling up and we can identify it for you Thumbs Up

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:08 - 10 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tidy machine, nice to see one selling for a reasonable price instead of the outrageously inflated ones you usually see.

In your first pic, look just above the red knob at the top of the flat way. That black smear is right where the bed gets ground away by the grit getting under the saddle and creates a low spot. Keep the flat ways cleaned and oiled and never use a grinder to cut stuff off in the chuck.

Get a quick change toolpost and some holders before you commit suicide from frustration. You can get a set pretty cheap about £100 which will suit. And as Spikenipple said put up some photos of your accessories.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:47 - 10 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.gumtree.com/p/lathes/t37-dixon-type-quick-change-tool-post-for-myford-super-7-lathes/1177382453

£70 toolpost with 4 holders

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nope.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:43 - 10 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spikenipple wrote:
That's a great price, congrats!

Cracking little bit of kit for what they are.

Put a pic of the tooling up and we can identify it for you Thumbs Up

Cheers!

Pete. wrote:
Tidy machine, nice to see one selling for a reasonable price instead of the outrageously inflated ones you usually see.

In your first pic, look just above the red knob at the top of the flat way. That black smear is right where the bed gets ground away by the grit getting under the saddle and creates a low spot. Keep the flat ways cleaned and oiled and never use a grinder to cut stuff off in the chuck.

Get a quick change toolpost and some holders before you commit suicide from frustration. You can get a set pretty cheap about £100 which will suit. And as Spikenipple said put up some photos of your accessories.

Yes I thought it was a good price so I snapped it up. I've heard about felts for the flat way, are they a good idea? I presume they sweep in front of the carriage to keep the flat way clean and clear of swarf?

I've messaged the guy you linked about the tool post, thanks for the tip!

I've put a flickr album up of the tools I've got here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/computid/albums/72157670896036275

Theres around 72 photos so I could post them here if necessary but if either of you have a flickr account I'd really appreciate if you could comment what they are for me, I know a couple of them but theres a few in there I have no idea about (possibly because some of them are homemade).

If you'd like me to post them here instead I can do that, just let me know.

Thanks chaps!

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:45 - 11 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, here goes.

Fixed steady - handy and valuable. Seems to be missing it's fingers unless they are separate
Milling slide - handy again and valuable with the vice on it.
Long round thing looks like aplug gauge - worthless
Holder with a round rod is internal boring tool
Large bolt in a housing - -no idea
Coach bolt with whirly thread is a sleeper bolt off the railway - scrap
Metal base thing with little sliding pins is part of a surface gauge. Should be some long rods with it with a hinged joiner. One rod will have a ball end. Handy if you have the rest.
Shiny long thing with slot is a morse taper reducing sleeve - looks too big for your ML7.
Morse taper drills in a pot
Long thing with cone head is a countersink, handy for de-burring holes again looks too big for a ml7
Couple of reamers and some kind of clamp effort, pretty useless that bit
Tidy small angle plate
Large morse taper drill - scrap
Selection of lathe turning tools - look to be mostly high carbon steel old stuff.
Round pointy thing is a centre - fits in the tailstock to support the end of long work in the chuck.
Channel section thing looks like part of a small pipe bending jig or a home-made bending vee
Grey thing with two pointy fingers is a travelling steady - useful and valuable
More lathe tools, a rusty old half centre.
Outside jaws for your 3-jaw chuck. You wind out the jaws and swap them over for holding on the outside of large diameter parts.
Knurling tool, for putting a grippy surface on round bar.

HTH

331X2
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 07:37 - 11 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an opinion but I'd be more inclined to fix the E-Stop button to the front of the stand so you don't have to reach over the machine to push it when the shit hits the fan.

Looks clean, well done on scoring a non-ebay priced ML-7 Thumbs Up

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:51 - 11 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice machine and as others have said, a steal at the price with some tooling!

You'll spend the same again in the next three months I guarantee!

Nope.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:58 - 11 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Okay, here goes.

/List of descriptions

Thanks Pete! It's very much appreciated. Thinking about buying a new set of lathe tools, is Carbide tipped OK? They seem quite cheap...

Lee Wright wrote:

Just an opinion but I'd be more inclined to fix the E-Stop button to the front of the stand so you don't have to reach over the machine to push it when the shit hits the fan.

Yeah, I intend to fit one to the front as well, I just had one spare sitting around from another project. I'm intending to re-wire the machine at some point so I'll fit one to the front then.

B5234FT wrote:

Very nice machine and as others have said, a steal at the price with some tooling!

You'll spend the same again in the next three months I guarantee!

Thanks!

Yeah, I'm beginning to see that Laughing Ah well, it'll be worth it!

Last edited by Nope. on 22:23 - 13 Jul 2016; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:09 - 11 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do swap the chuck jaws you should notice that they are numbered 1,2,3. Some chucks have the position stamped on them, others don't matter but what always matters is that you have to engage no1 with the scroll first then no2 then no3. If you don't they won't meet in the middle and anything you grip in them will run miles out of true.

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 08:34 - 15 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any pictures of things you have made with this ?

Nope.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:02 - 18 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinK98 wrote:

Well, considering I've never really used one before, and I've only had this operational for just over a week, I'm still practicing.

I have however made a copy of a wheel spacer for my R1 (still rough and not good enough for actual use):

https://c3.staticflickr.com/9/8457/27776282074_01f77447b0_z.jpg

And I started making a door knob for my bathroom:

https://c6.staticflickr.com/9/8025/28313989061_62f97f4a4e_z.jpg

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:58 - 18 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff!

If I can make a couple of suggestions:

Looking at your swarf it's quite hard and stringy which suggests perhaps a fairly gummy material. You can improve things a lot by increasing your rake angles on the tool quite considerably. I can see that you've ground a tool designed to cut left and right but you should use two separate tools.

The flat top is causing you problems by tearing off the metal instead of cutting it off. Harder materials like steel don't mind this tearing so much but your soft ally bar isn't happy about it and I bet the lathe motor isn't either and I can see evidence of weld-up on the point of your tool.

Take your tool and grind the front relief to at least 10 degrees, even up to 15. It looks to be about 3 or 4 right now, normal is 7 but you can go way past that on soft ally. If you imagine that tool as cutting from right to left, the front relief will be on the left flank of the vee point. You need extra relief on that front face to allow the tool to cut, otherwise the face will rub under feed and that's probably the cause of your less than perfect finish.
Now do the same for the top, grind it sloping down away from the cutting edge by at least 10 degrees as well. This will present a sharper cutting edge to the work, reducing load on the motor and allowing you to increase the feed rate and rpm without getting that weld-up on the tip you've been suffering. Try it - you'll be amazed at the transformation in how the machine cuts.

And reduce your tool stick-out to the minimum you need to make the cut. That will reduce the risk of chatter, provide a better finish and make it less likely to break the compound slide if you get a jam-up.

ZebraDriver
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:54 - 18 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the picture you posted showing the power supply to the machine it looks like you have put the emergency stop in the feed to the machine. Does the machine start by re setting the emergency stop if you leave the rotary switch in the on position?
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:07 - 19 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. wrote:
ColinK98 wrote:

Well, considering I've never really used one before, and I've only had this operational for just over a week, I'm still practicing.

I have however made a copy of a wheel spacer for my R1 (still rough and not good enough for actual use):

i think its so cool that you are able to work your own metal.
my workshop (Shed) is still very much an on going project.
im just waititng for the eldest kids to move out and we are moving outside the M25.
top of the list is a double garage for my new workshop.

Do you have any facility to melt and forge ?

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:15 - 19 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. wrote:
ColinK98 wrote:

i think its so cool that you are able to work your own metal.
my workshop (Shed) is still very much an on going project.
im just waititng for the eldest kids to move out and we are moving outside the M25.
top of the list is a double garage for my new workshop.

Do you have any facility to melt and forge ?
Gone but not forgotten This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 264 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1