Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Ferry or Tunnel?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

bikermole
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:42 - 20 Aug 2016    Post subject: Ferry or Tunnel? Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I've booked a trip to the Nurburgring next May, and looking at the route, we have 2 options for travelling, to either take the ferry to Dunkirk, or take the Tunnel to Calais.

I went to the 'Ring this year (admittedly in a car) and we took the ferry. It took 2 hours, considerably longer than the shuttle, but Dunkirk is abut an hour further along than Calais, and we were able to chill out, enjoy a hot meal and plan the route a bit.

The ferry is cheaper, too, but not by enough to really sway the decision as the added cost of food puts it roughly on par, but I've heard a lot about the migrant issues in Calais, and is it just worth staying away to avoid any trouble? There was an article in MCN this week about the troubles over there.

What are your recommendations and preferences for travelling to the continent?

Much appreciated!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:50 - 20 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the tunnel to Calais?

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Jungle snackbars might have opened in Dunkirk by next May but it seems a safer bet than Calais.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:52 - 20 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through Calais on Monday to use the Tunnel, I didn't see any migrants or anything that would impede the flow of traffic. Nobody killed me with a chainsaw or set me on fire. It may be different when you travel but there were no problems there at all this week.

Tunnel is more expensive granted but 25 minutes and you are straight on to the motorway the other side. Ultimately only you can make that choice though!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:44 - 20 Aug 2016    Post subject: Re: Ferry or Tunnel? Reply with quote

I wanted to go via Holland anyway, but the Harwich to Hook van Holland night ferry works out quite nicely - get a bit of a kip, then start off first thing in the morning. A good number of years ago it was around £80 with a bike.

TallPaul_S
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:42 - 21 Aug 2016    Post subject: Re: Ferry or Tunnel? Reply with quote

bikermole wrote:
but Dunkirk is abut an hour further along than Calais,

Think you need to look at your maths Very Happy it's less than 20 miles, about 15 minutes between the Calais tunnel exit and where you'd join the motorway after getting off the ferry. Wink

Chunnel, every time. Also for the ferry check in closes 45 mins before departure, the chunnel is 30 minutes. More time wasted on/waiting for the ferry. The chunnel is just so damn easy and fast, the worst bit is waiting for all the cars to load on as bikes seem to always be loaded last.

I used the tunnel end of June and didn't see a single immigrant. When you get off the train it's straight through to the motorway unless you need fuel at the service station on the exit.

Casper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:38 - 21 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ferry but that is due to location.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:04 - 21 Aug 2016    Post subject: Re: Ferry or Tunnel? Reply with quote

TallPaul_S wrote:
the worst bit is waiting for all the cars to load on as bikes seem to always be loaded last.

Do they get off first though?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

TallPaul_S
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:40 - 21 Aug 2016    Post subject: Re: Ferry or Tunnel? Reply with quote

under_rated wrote:
TallPaul_S wrote:
the worst bit is waiting for all the cars to load on as bikes seem to always be loaded last.

Do they get off first though?

Nope, both directions when I went we were last on, last off.

Not a big deal though considering I can be in France in 1hr 35 minutes after leaving my front door Very Happy

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:57 - 21 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

An advantage of the tunnel is that you don't get rough crossings with everyone around you emptying the contents of their stomachs.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:30 - 21 Aug 2016    Post subject: Re: Ferry or Tunnel? Reply with quote

bikermole wrote:

Much appreciated!

Ferry .. north shields to Ijmuiden .. but the port is only 15 - 20minutes away from me.. any way I went its gonna cost me an over night stop.. not much extra to get the ferry... and the saving on fuel wear & tear etc.

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:39 - 21 Aug 2016    Post subject: Re: Ferry or Tunnel? Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
bikermole wrote:

Much appreciated!

Ferry .. north shields to Ijmuiden .. but the port is only 15 - 20minutes away from me.. any way I went its gonna cost me an over night stop.. not much extra to get the ferry... and the saving on fuel wear & tear etc.

Overnight Ferries are good if you're a long way from the channel ports.
Arrive in Europe early morning and hit the ground running.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 21 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ridden to Germany twice and both times used the tunnel. It is quick and easy, you stay with your bike, no strapping down, no slippery deck, straight onto the motorway...etc. True you don't get a meal or seat, but you can do that before or after you board if you like. Also, they go frequently and if you miss one or get there early you can often take whatever train turns up next. Plus the terminal is closer and easier to get to (for me).

gorillaonabik...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 03:03 - 22 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take the ferry because I like to get a few minutes kip. I just find a corner or seat and zzzzzz

Can't sleep on the tunnel.
FZR400 (blown engine), ZXR750 (blown engine), ZX6R (accident), CBR600 which had engine issues after which I learned to change gear..., CBR900, CBR924 (stolen), CB600, CB1300 (everything blew up), BMW K1300GT (written off, hit from rear while stationary), Bandit 1250 for a couple of months, Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (nicked) and somewhere in there, I wrote off a Ducati 748 at Cadwell.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:43 - 22 Aug 2016    Post subject: Re: Ferry or Tunnel? Reply with quote

Enduro Numpty wrote:

Overnight Ferries are good if you're a long way from the channel ports.
Arrive in Europe early morning and hit the ground running.

you use north shields too ?

smallfrowne
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:54 - 22 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

gorillaonabike wrote:
I take the ferry because I like to get a few minutes kip. I just find a corner or seat and zzzzzz

Can't sleep on the tunnel.

Having slept for about 1hr the previous night, ridden all day bar some hours stripping the bike trying to get it running after it failed to start in belgium, I slept soundly for 35minutes on the train Very Happy

bikermole
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:20 - 22 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really appreciate the replies everyone, I knew I could count on you lot Razz

Its up the everyone on the group to agree, but I'll take forward whats been said and we'll (hopefully) agree!

Probably be making a thread soon about what to do while at the 'Ring soon!

thepuma
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:40 - 22 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tunnel EVERY time.

Done the tunnel 5 or 6 times now and never been delayed longer than 15 minutes....Against my better judgement I decided to have a go on the ferry ONCE and it was delayed 3 hours AND took 2 hours on the boat...so vowed NEVER again to go by boat.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:43 - 22 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tunnel is quicker but if I have the time then I take the ferry to Dunkirk. I generally enjoy the chance to walk around or take a kip or have a cuppa etc. I know the tunnel is much shorter time-wise but IMO it's so boring.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:09 - 22 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Many years ago I used the channel crossings very regularly (so many years ago I had a choice of ferry, tunnel, seacat or hovercraft) when working abroad.

When I was first there the tunnel was the same price as the ferries, then the prices went up for the summer. At the end of the summer the tunnel prices stayed high.

Tunnel is quicker, but I have had very long waits for the tunnel, far longer than any wait for the ferry I had. Real fun when 1 tunnel is closed and they send a couple of trains through in one direction in the other tunnel, then do the same in the other direction.

I tended to use the seacats most of the time, but not a choice these days.

All the best

Katy

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:42 - 22 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't trust the people who close the ferry doors.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:11 - 23 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
I tended to use the seacats most of the time, but not a choice these days.

I preferred the seacats as well.
A shame they're no longer an option.

rubyhorse2
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:59 - 24 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

tunnel is very easy and if i lived closer it would be my choice every time, but after a long ride down through England i would choose ferry.

so basically, if your close to tunnel use it, if not, go for ferry.
Gone but not forgotten This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

bikermole
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:18 - 27 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

As before, I really appreciate the helpful replies!

We booked our ferry this morning as we ended up with a discount code for 20% off and 6 cans of beer included. We've got some cars coming on the trip too, so they can carry those Laughing

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:32 - 05 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Overland Trip - Ferry for sense of occasion

Day/Weekend trip to France/Holland//belgium/Germany etc - Tunnel.

I quite like setting off in the wee-early hours of the morning from NW London and blasting down to Folkstone.

Personal record, left 4AM, arrived 5AM (Including London traffic lights and petrol stop)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 232 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1