Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

two strokes to be banned from the road, apparently

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:55 - 28 Aug 2016    Post subject: two strokes to be banned from the road, apparently Reply with quote

taken off some ones comments on the LML forum and facebook page

Quote:
LMLbloke

It bout people choice but said I work at dvla to stroke will be banned in 2020 on UK roads that's why lml have just realised and got rid of there ones cheap

anyone else heard this or is he just full of shit
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:00 - 28 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's unusual for existing older vehicles to be banned but they might mean no more new ones will be allowed.
It's not as if there were loads farting about like in the 70s
I can't think when I last saw one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:10 - 28 Aug 2016    Post subject: Re: two strokes to be banned from the road, apparently Reply with quote

Quote:
LMLbloke

It bout people choice but said I work at dvla to stroke will be banned in 2020 on UK roads that's why lml have just realised and got rid of there ones cheap

Apparently it's going to be illegal "to stroke" on the roads. Nothing there about "two strokes"

Then again he *sounds* like he could work for DVLA ...

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:30 - 28 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

i doubt it.
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 09:51 - 28 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I would say unlikely, but possible. Very few rules have applied to previously registered private vehicles (one of the few is compulsory rear view mirrors in cars - which applied even to older cars which had never been fitted with one.). If it were done then it would almost certainly just apply to bikes not up to a certain standard for emissions (ie, certified to a standard) so would apply to pretty much any bike registered before a certain date, 2 stroke or 4 stroke.

All the best

Katy

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:19 - 28 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to buy that RD400 I keep dreaming of. Thumbs Up

Honest Dear, they are going to be banned and I NEEEEED one now!

Will it work Praying

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:16 - 28 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once the tree-huggers have run out of other things to get banned they'll probably turn their gaze to 2-strokes. Not motorcycles in particular but 2Ts in general. There aren't many 2T bikes around, but petrol lawnmowers, strimmers, chainsaws and so on? I suspect they produce a fair amount of pollution. 2T bikes will probably get caught up in a general ban on 2T engines.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:19 - 28 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh noes, an unconfirmed sixth hand anecdote! It's not even been officially denied.

The DVLA say a lot of things. They said to me that the new Eurobollocks should already apply to post-2013 designed bikes, but they're blithely ignoring it. They say that they're not aware of any problem with insurers and recording of license durations.

I'd ass-u-me that if there's any substance to it, that it just refers to emissions. I can't imagine 2 strokes getting through Euro 4 though, let alone Euro 5.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:31 - 28 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it, but I can see some sort of a fee or tax to make road legal two strokes less desired by people. Just like the ''eco fee'' in CZE for cars. When you register a car that does not fulfil atleast with EURO IV, you pay a fee based on how green your car actually is. EURO III to EURO I to no EURO compliant vehicles. The EURO fee system is in effect since 2009. So if you owned a car that's not green enough before 2009 and then you sold it to someone else past the 2009, the new owner had to pay the fee. Luckily it is only a one time deal and the next owner won't have to pay, for now though.

The results? Many old cars just dissapeared from the roads as the fee was sometimes more than the car's value on the market and who buys cheap cars? People with no money, that would never be willing to pay extra what they've already paid to get the car registered. Thumbs Up

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:49 - 28 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
It's unusual for existing older vehicles to be banned but they might mean no more new ones will be allowed.
It's not as if there were loads farting about like in the 70s
I can't think when I last saw one.

I just bought one! Dance!

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:35 - 28 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Oh noes, an unconfirmed sixth hand anecdote! It's not even been officially denied.

The DVLA say a lot of things. They said to me that the new Eurobollocks should already apply to post-2013 designed bikes, but they're blithely ignoring it. They say that they're not aware of any problem with insurers and recording of license durations.

I'd ass-u-me that if there's any substance to it, that it just refers to emissions. I can't imagine 2 strokes getting through Euro 4 though, let alone Euro 5.

This was apparently direct

Turns out he meant vespa are stopping making them in december

And is thick as shit

Guessing he is right in the works for dvla bit

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:50 - 30 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now London is going eco with older cars/bikes not allowed because of emissions, I wonder if they are going to do anything about the thousands of canal boats in London the run on 20+ year old diesels that spew forth shit loads of pollutants Laughing
Vifferguy This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:29 - 06 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are road legal two strokes even still going?
I'd like to know roughly how much pollution they kick out too, just for arguments sake. No point introducing anything for stuff over 125 due to the rarity, but there must still be a fair few Cagivas and Aprilias kicking around.

TbirdX
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:40 - 06 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

My road legal two stroke is still going.

Maybe it's about air pollution killing non white people....

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:59 - 06 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are still countries where two strokes like Jawa, CZ, MZ are very popular. Thumbs Up

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:23 - 06 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Now London is going eco with older cars/bikes not allowed because of emissions

It's not a case of not being allowed, just that they'll incur the congestion charge, or whatever it's currently called, or, if already paying it, there'll be an additional surcharge.

On, yeah, the 2 stroke thing, is no mrws ones after Jan 1st 2017, if I remember correctly

As a company, I think LML are pulling out of the scooter market, as I don't think they're making much, if any money from them, but again I could be wrong.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 00:32 - 07 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:

I'd like to know roughly how much pollution they kick out too, just for arguments sake. No point introducing anything for stuff over 125 due to the rarity, but there must still be a fair few Cagivas and Aprilias kicking around.

Quite hideous even for a 50cc scooter

Quick google finds this:-

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/10834679/Scooters-pollute-more-than-lorries.html

All the best

Katy

Alawson68
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 06:24 - 07 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

TbirdX wrote:
My road legal two stroke is still going.

Maybe it's about air pollution killing non white people....

My Vespa is still on the road, did the 300 mile round trip to the Isle of Wight on the bank holiday weekend. Not bad considering its 48 years old, wonder how many generic Chinese bikes you would need to ride for that amount of time and how polluting they would be to manufacture?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:36 - 07 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/10834679/Scooters-pollute-more-than-lorries.html

= https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2014/EGU2014-11158.pdf

Hmm, I can only find abstracts. Surely the full article was actually published and robustly peer reviewed? I mean, the media wouldn't just run with an unsubstantiated claim by a bunch of ecomentals, right?

Stephen Platt, the lead author of the paper from the Paul Scherrer Institute in Switzerland wrote:
Cars and trucks, particularly diesel vehicles, are thought to be the main vehicular pollution sources [but]

What a difference a couple of years makes. Now the lid's been blown off the diesel scam, I wonder if Herr-Monsieur-Signore Platt would like to revisit that position?

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:58 - 07 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Hmm, I can only find abstracts. Surely the full article was actually published and robustly peer reviewed? I mean, the media wouldn't just run with an unsubstantiated claim by a bunch of ecomentals, right?

Various figures over the years. Some showing a single 2 stroke moped putting out more of some nasties in absolute terms than a diesel bus.

Not surprising given a 2 stroke opens the exhaust port early on in the combustion process, dumping a load of unburnt fuel straight down the exhaust.

All the best

Katy

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:18 - 07 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:
Are road legal two strokes even still going?

Plenty of 50cc 2-stroke mopeds still about, you normally hear them before they eventually come into view Very Happy 125's are getting rarer, but don't forget DT's were around until 2008 so still plenty about, I think the RS was made until 2012. You don't see many bigger bikes, but that's mainly because manufacturers lost interest well before emissions bollocks killed them off.

Anyway diesels are the problem. I can stand behind a motorbike all day breathing in its lovely fumes, a few seconds behind a cab or bus and I'm having a coughing fit. I'm guessing this wasn't part of government testing when they decided they were the answer.

https://images.mid-day.com/images/2014/mar/bribe-oo.jpg

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:37 - 07 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I'm guessing this wasn't part of government testing when they decided they were the answer.

Probably more that the testing started when precise control was pretty much impossible and the limits slowly tightened up. All sorts of dodgy tricks over the years but it got to the point where it was possible (if not legal) to detect when a vehicle was being tested and then go into a very tightly locked down (and probably pretty much undrivable) running condition. Hence easy to catch some nasties (eg, particle filters) and then dump them out when not being tested.

All the best

Katy

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:50 - 07 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Plenty of 50cc 2-stroke mopeds still about, you normally hear them before they eventually come into view Very Happy 125's are getting rarer, but don't forget DT's were around until 2008 so still plenty about, I think the RS was made until 2012. You don't see many bigger bikes, but that's mainly because manufacturers lost interest well before emissions bollocks killed them off.

I have a 300cc 2 stroke with a 16 Plate. Very Happy

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:58 - 08 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
dydey90 wrote:

Quite hideous even for a 50cc scooter

Quick google finds this:-

All the best

Katy

Did you know, that people using the public transport (busses) are at higher risk of getting respiratory system cancer? At first I thought, that was just silly to make such claims, but then I remembered when I was using the busses quite often. All the standing/waiting on the sidewalk of mostly a busy street with a huge diesel engine buses pulling over and taking off right infront of you, countless of times. All the brake dust and the diesel exhaust particles, small enough for you to inhale without any irritation. Thinking

I know more and more of public bus transport is being electrified or at least turning to CNG and other clean fuel alternatives, but those are just mostly experimental, at the moment being. Mind you, not every single city in the UK has got the money to put eco friendly (cancer free) buses on their streets.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 231 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2