BCF: Bike Chat Forums

No.27 - 1981 Honda CX500

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:26 - 19 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've considered a 'make your own O-ring' kit, but can't see that ending well!

Photo's of attempted cleaning:

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/EAM-Enterprises/Vehicles/Honda_CX500_2/WP_20150412_14_42_54_Pro_zpsiyumoson.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/EAM-Enterprises/Vehicles/Honda_CX500_2/WP_20150412_15_22_31_Pro_zpsm0wdde7n.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/EAM-Enterprises/Vehicles/Honda_CX500_2/WP_20150412_15_22_35_Pro_zpscegi08ug.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/EAM-Enterprises/Vehicles/Honda_CX500_2/WP_20150412_15_54_42_Pro_zpshsg7hzmo.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:44 - 19 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're leery of spending £9.54 for a set of 7 O rings
from DS

https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/CX500B-1981/part_112505/

(4 for the pipes 2 for the head knuckles 1 for the transfer pipe)
this doesn't bode well for the rest of the refurb.

I've had many CXs in similar condition and sometimes its better to spend a few quid and do it right.

You're still doing the easy bits

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:12 - 19 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, I will end up shelling out for the parts. It's just the more it costs the longer it'll take to get it on the road!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:26 - 09 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while since I've touched the CX now. I've been pretty hesitant because I can see me piling a lot of time and money into it, and at the end of the day I don't even know if the engine still runs.

I'm wishing I had stayed with the original plan: drag it back from storage, check the fluid levels, tip new fuel in, and try and start it.

At the end of the day, what I want is a weekend runaround, something to get me back on two wheels. If it breaks down every other week that's no big deal; I don't need it as a commuter.

So, I've decided to bodge it back together. I'll probably be in a worse place now than if I had just left it alone in the first place!

I've got all the thermostat housing and pipes back in place, there is a metal panel which fits on behind them. It's got a little cable extension running through it, and there are two cables dropping down from the loom. There is another cable near the RH cylinder head.

I'm assuming the extension plugs onto the temp sensor, and then to one of the loom wires. I'm also assuming the cable coming from the RH cylinder area attaches to the other loom cable.

But which loom cable is which?

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:10 - 09 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue/red goes to the oil pressure switch on front engine case
at 1 o clock above the clutch cover.
Green/Blue goes to the temp sender in the thermostat housing.
Light Green /red goes to the neutral switch at RH rear.
That's all the loose cables I can think of that dangle around the engine
Any solid dark green is a ground, they may have eyelets and attach to the coil mountings.

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:41 - 10 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! I'll have a poke this afternoon.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 1 year, 131 days between these two posts...

Mitchely
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:58 - 17 Sep 2016    Post subject: Honda CX500 Stator Reply with quote

Numerous posts show bad Stators on Honda 1989 CX500 cause horrible cutting out when warm at 5000 RPM (my problem). It appears Stators are difficult to replace. My bike has 30,000 and is in good shape. Any recommendations?

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:41 - 17 Sep 2016    Post subject: Re: Honda CX500 Stator Reply with quote

Mitchely wrote:
Numerous posts show bad Stators on Honda 1989 CX500 cause horrible cutting out when warm at 5000 RPM (my problem). It appears Stators are difficult to replace. My bike has 30,000 and is in good shape. Any recommendations?

Mine's at 76k and still on the original Stator. In my opinion the often phrased "triple bypass" spoken on the CX forum is way over the top if something works.

Mitchely
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:52 - 18 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip Blurredman, but if not the Stator, any idea what could cause my problem? When warm my CX500 bogs down at 5000 rpm and there is no acceleration.

Alawson68
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:33 - 18 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
Totally unsexy and uncool
If it were a dog it would be some scabby flatulent old mongrel
But I dunno, they kinda grow on you.
I some times wonder why I'm not sick and tired of mine
when other bikes have been and gone.
Probably speaks to my inner pikey Laughing

Although hasn't the cx500 become the hipsters bike of choice at the moment. Just check out the bike shed web site (in shoreditch where else).
Time to break out the skinny jeans, gold metalflake open face helmet and some questionable facial hair.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:30 - 20 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

CX Ignitons come in two flavours
Early CDI and later TI
(I have a Eurosport TI engine in mine sod all that CDI bollox)
Stators are easily sourced, about a oner as I recall
Simple resistance tests will indicate where and if its bad

What usually happens on the CDI bikes is the advance coils (right at the back)
quietly break down and this can take the edge off in terms of acceleration.
The stator doesn't often fail in terms of generating power, but the two source coils which power
the CDI box do and as they're part of the stator assembly its common for folk to change the
whole thing as it's an engine out job anyway.

The 'triple bypass' came to be because when dropping the lump to change stators
it was often needed or wise to renew the cam chain and water pump seals while the engine was out
I've done so many CX lumps now that dropping an engine and whipping the back off to service it is no big deal

I feckin hate CX cafe racers
I liked having a CX when everybody hated them
you couldn't give them away and parts were dirt cheap and
the more you ratted them the better they looked.
Now the feckers are 'classics' or stupidly expensive, form over function, cafe racers

Looked after they're a good, solid and reliable general purpose hack and tourer

Racers my arse!
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 318 days between these two posts...

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:16 - 05 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to shelf this project yet again, as it was being stored in my brother's garage, and he moved house.

I went to start on it again last week, as I wanted to get it running for the Copdock bike show.

BUT, the frame is more rotten than I thought, 3 out of 4 peg hangers are rotten.

I'm presently looking for a decent second hand frame (with logbook), and I'll move the engine and other parts over.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:29 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

the chances of you finding a decent frame and V5 are low to zero
just weld the fecker or get it welded

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:39 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I started to figure that out!

Any frames I did find were just as bad.

I was about to take it to a local custom bike welder, and still probably will. ... but bought myself a Honda CBF500 to get me back on a bike while I figure out what to do with the CXs.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 229 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3