Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

When to change track tyres....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fowlersrs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:14 - 12 Apr 2016    Post subject: When to change track tyres.... Reply with quote

Evening all,

I've recently started track days and am enjoying the freedom of being on track, however I'm finding it difficult to judge when it's time to change those tyres..

I'm currently running birdgsestonw R10s on my track bike and I've got a feeling I'm getting close to needing a new set as I'm almost down to the wear bars but how much further can u take the tyre??

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160412/550e89b684751185b6822a75b1aaac6d.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160412/b7ffe5fd770161955f37f11810935f9e.jpg

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:55 - 12 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'tread' is only to let water out from under the tyre to prevent aquaplaning.
I think at the bottom of the tread will be the limit.
The carcass will be well fucked by heat cycles by then anyway.
Slicks have holes in them to indicate wear on the rubber 'surface'.

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:11 - 13 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst MCN is correct about the tread, you will notice a drop in grip when the tyre wears away. Personally I would have changed those tyres by now. That right hand side looks finished.

You might soon have that 'Ah harrrr' moment when you are looking at race scrubs to purchase off eBay Wink Wink Wink That's why racers sell the scrubs, grip.

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:00 - 13 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are undoubtedly well past their best.

The 'profile' still looks fairly rounded though, so you could get a few more laps out them!

The simple rule of thumb is that if the rear is starting to get a bit 'squirmy' then you need to slow down (no-fun!) or get new tyres!
AltimKing This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:48 - 28 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

AltimKing wrote:
I am not sure I get it, are those rain tires or just regular road tires? The way that tire looks I am certain that it overheated mutliple times, especially the right flank! Don't get me wrong, that just proves you are a good rider. On the other side, you should seriously consider getting slick tires as riding this type of tire is way to dangerous foir your riding skill.

Plus, slick tires are much more fun Wink

- yes, change that tire immediatly, not becuase of lack of rubber but lack of grip

It's a Bridgestone R10. A road legal track focussed tyre. It's not a wet.....

Doesn't look like it's overheated to me, and difficult to say the OP "needs" slicks just from one tyre pic. The only reason it might be with it is a bit more longevity from the tyre if you can get slicks cheaply. Anyone that's trackdaying and thinks they need slicks for the grip is kidding themselves IMO given the Stock 1000 lads use treaded tyres and are quicker than most.

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:26 - 28 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is just standard 'snotting' of the tyre, nothing unusual. It would probably look a little better (less snotty) if it had some well set up aftermarket suspension.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 183 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1