Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Best Bike 250cc+ for filtering in stand still traffic

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:18 - 28 Sep 2016    Post subject: Best Bike 250cc+ for filtering in stand still traffic Reply with quote

After around 5 years riding, I recently started teaching myself to filter around traffic (fucking roadworks everywhere up here for the next few years so have to make up time where safe)

However I have found the Bandit terrible for going speeds less than walking speed and it's making me into a pussy when it comes to small gaps, even if the traffic is stationary.

I found the CBF600 easy to go slower than a pensioner can hobble, and the CG even more so.

So what's the best filtering bike?(EDIT: for commuting) (but is still capable of maintaining 70mph without assploding) Thinking

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

Last edited by Commuter_Tim on 21:49 - 28 Sep 2016; edited 1 time in total

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:35 - 28 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

FZR 1000 exup.

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:48 - 28 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
FZR 1000 exup.

Sorry I probably should have mentioned I would also be using it as a commuter. (less sporty seated the better) Smile

Not sure if this is a "twisted subframe and slack chain" situation either, 236kg wet weight, that's heavier than my fat bitch of a bike.
Are there other things to consider for slow speed stability other than the general weight and how low down the weight is?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:56 - 28 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I commute 50 miles daily on my exup.

Admittedly, it's a cunt on the neck, shoulders, elbows, and wrists and you have to slip the clutch like a bastard at walking pace, but hey....

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:05 - 28 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Admittedly, it's a cunt on the neck, shoulders, elbows, and wrists and you have to slip the clutch like a bastard at walking pace, but hey....

Heh, the Bandit clutch is part of my problem, seems heavy and whilst its building up my left forearm, it's a burden in 3mph stop start traffic. Neutral

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:08 - 28 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

SH300.

G will be along momentarily to recommend GSXR1000.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:13 - 28 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSXR1100 works fine for me. Fits in smal gaps too, as long as your a bit brave.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:40 - 28 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not big heavy bikes, just in case you were getting confused by some of the responses. Scooters and 125's make the best progress. You want something small, light, that doesn't require lots of clutch work. Any of the 250/300's would be good, something like Rogerborg's race bike.

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:55 - 29 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best current bike I ridden fro this would be the CB500X
very light very nimble
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:13 - 29 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

My Mash 400 is great for commuting, very nimble, and I have to filter down the M6 past the M5 junction, and down to Spaghetti Junction.

Also, have a Honley Adventurer (Zhongshen RX-3) Again, a very nimble bike, quite big for a 250 though.

Cheers

Tony

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:16 - 29 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duke 390.

<Enter the 'borg in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...>

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:23 - 29 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

vespa gts300
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SophR so good
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 08:35 - 29 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

A scooter. On my 300 I filter a tiny bit better than most bigger bikes, except one very skilled guy on a monster 1200. But I am totally outdone by tiny nimble scoots with no clutch to worry about.

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 09:45 - 29 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a few filtering lessons from this chap will brave you up

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=315782

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:13 - 29 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a kawasaki Z250 as a courtesy bike recently which I really enjoyed, it was like riding a bicycle but without the effort

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:14 - 29 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

UnknownStuntman wrote:
Duke 390.

<Enter the 'borg in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...>

We'll see. My concern has always been not having a dealer to hand to deal with the inevitably warranty claims, but the local Dodgy Dan multi-marque back lot dealer has just started selling those expensive Indian hacks alongside the usual cheap Chinese hacks.

They do look like a hoot, so never say never.

M.C wrote:
You want something small, light, that doesn't require lots of clutch work. Any of the 250/300's would be good, something like Rogerborg's race bike.

I'd go for a nope on that.

Racebike has a very light clutch, but it has to as you'll be slipping it a lot off the line to win the traffic light GP. The low bars require wiggling past wing mirrors (bin the fairing mirrors right away) and you have to plan well ahead to exploit gaps in moving traffic due to the lack of roll on acceleration. The new 300+ bikes might do better there - even the new Z250 just mentioned is a single and will probably deliver better at stop-and-go speeds. I got the Ninja specifically so that I'd have to thrash it because yolo.

The Enfield is at least as good a filterer (when I take the crash bars off). Narrow, stable, great turning circle, quick enough off the line and it will pick up speed when needed. The clutch is heavy though. Then again it will trundle along at low revs, and pick up from them too.

Best though is the Nazi Tractor. Light clutch, it'll pull smoothly and strongly from very low revs (downgearing a tooth on the front helps), plenty of torque, very stable, upright position gives good visibility, highish bars fit over most wing mirrors. Sure, it's physically bigger, but that's rarely the limiting factor, and I've convinced myself (on no rational basis) that might also make it better for aggressively bullying riding confidently though conflicted situations.

The Husqvarna Nuda is essentially a stripped down, powered up Tractor, and Royal Jordanian demonstrates how well it can make progress.

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:41 - 29 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

NSR125?
Very light and nimble,
will crawl along slowly,
will do 70mph easily (de-restricted),
can get 70Mpg if you 'behave' (read: keep out of the powah band),
reliable (can argue all day long but I abused mine for 4 years constantly and never changed a piston/rings etc etc etc, use decent oil and keep it topped up and it will be fine).

They're fun little bikes, vastly under rated and people always assume they'll blow up every 5 minutes Rolling Eyes .

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:29 - 29 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of my current bikes, this order for commuting. 15 mile each way, variety of roads from slow London suburbs to fast A3 dual carriageway.

MSX 125 (obvs light and small)
Fireblade (yes really)
ER6
VFR

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:36 - 29 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Best though is the Nazi Tractor. Light clutch, it'll pull smoothly and strongly from very low revs (downgearing a tooth on the front helps), plenty of torque, very stable, upright position gives good visibility, highish bars fit over most wing mirrors. Sure, it's physically bigger, but that's rarely the limiting factor, and I've convinced myself (on no rational basis) that might also make it better for aggressively bullying riding confidently though conflicted situations.

The Husqvarna Nuda is essentially a stripped down, powered up Tractor, and Royal Jordanian demonstrates how well it can make progress.

Why's it always the Charley Boorman wannabes that get stuck then? Smile It's only the big touring stuff I consistently make better progress than. Some smaller sportsbike (R6's etc.) do surprisingly well with the mirrors folded in. Royal Jordanian's always one rolling lorry away from getting crushed, it's more him and his bravery (or stupidity depending on how you look at it) than the bike.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:46 - 29 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Why's it always the Charley Boorman wannabes that get stuck then? Smile

Because the 1200 is not the 800. We're the rebel youth wing of the Nazi Tractor Party.

M.C wrote:
Royal Jordanian's always one rolling lorry away from getting crushed, it's more him and his bravery (or stupidity depending on how you look at it) than the bike.

You want some ice cream with that jelly? Razz

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:04 - 29 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Because the 1200 is not the 800. We're the rebel youth wing of the Nazi Tractor Party.

Hence wannabe, not full on emulating. Any touring thingy (usually a beemer) and they get stuck, with gaps even a pussy like me is up for Dance!

mrmistoffelee...
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:14 - 29 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do a 90 (ish) mile commute from Boro to York everyday. Never had a problem filtering in York on my big old GSXF750 nor do i suffer from sore neck, back, wrists and I'm a proper fatty

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:40 - 29 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Why's it always the Charley Boorman wannabes that get stuck then? Smile It's only the big touring stuff I consistently make better progress than. Some smaller sportsbike (R6's etc.) do surprisingly well with the mirrors folded in. Royal Jordanian's always one rolling lorry away from getting crushed, it's more him and his bravery (or stupidity depending on how you look at it) than the bike.

It pains me to admit it but I do actually think he's a pretty decent rider - in that he has something of an enduro card to play. Off-roading quite often sharpens up riding *on* road in all kinds of ways, although not so much RE rear and sidewards obs. This is what a lot of divs watching him fail to appreciate. Second, these cameras often create strange distorted angles and stuff that looks close might not be (though vice versa too). Thirdly we only see the "highlights" - there'll be some shameful stuff on the virtual cutting room floor (which is one reason why I dislike this kind of vlogger - it's all very flattering for the most part; howsabout showing some fuck ups, albeit yes non-incriminating ones obvs).

As for sportsbikes doing well, I personally found it much harder to shoulder check and look around more generally when I rode a little rvf400. So they may do well, but for how long.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:51 - 29 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuter_Tim wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Heh, the Bandit clutch is part of my problem, seems heavy and whilst its building up my left forearm, it's a burden in 3mph stop start traffic. Neutral

Bit surprised by this. Could the cable inner be a little swollen, and catching on the outer? This does happen on some older cables. If it has swollen the following clip won't really help much beyond a very short term alleviation of symptoms but it's a useful little gadget here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0OsC20Eqw4

My only slight misgiving with that oiler is that it seems to be reliant on a pressurised aerosol kind of lube - I prefer thicker, more viscous oil, like EP90. It will hang around in the cable longer, for one thing.

Bandit clutch shouldn't be too bad once it's behaving like it should, though. I don't do loads of filtering, but when I do it's easy to get a bit stressed and then end up gripping bars too tight. Could that be part of it? Relaxing and being smoother and lighter on the controls could help. The 650 Bandit shouldn't be too bad for town shit tbh. Nice upright position, not too highly strung, smooth il4 lump.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 17:20 - 29 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assertive filtering... requires pig-headedness; you have to believe you can 'will' cars to stay the fuck put, or make space for you whilst you command the little road space you steal almost by telepathy alone.

You have to be able to make snap judgement calls, based on instant assessment of the situation.. a more upright riding position giving your kneck almost owl-like rotation on the horizontal plane, is very useful, and puts a lot of sportier bikes at disadvantage.

Bar width? Paniers? Wheel-Base? All very circumstantial. Couple of tranny vans side by side leave a less convenient gap than a couple of rep-mobiles, with sloping sides; and a little wiggle can change your shape a lot compared to the gap your trying to wiggle it through.

Used to meet up with a work-mate 'on-route' into Brum most mornings, on his Ex-Cop R80; an old-hand, it was a joy to watch him filtering, trickling along at less than walking pace, weaving bludy great barn-door fairing and rickman boxes, between the school-run mum's and repmobiles and delivery vans, then making it just 'pick up' and squibbing it into the gaps or around queues... showed just how much is in the rider, rather than the bike. Though he did admit that if the bludy clutch wasn't so damn heavy he'd have been more inclined to stay in the stacks more!!!

Round town, watching, usually L-Platers get tangled up on scooters or trailies, that aught to have so much better 'manouverability', from mis-judging gaps or not predicting que-flow, or spotting bollards or pelican crossings etc, adds more to the notion its in the rider, and how well you can assess the situation, and how well you can react to it and exploit it, not how much the bike might help you.

Not rush-hour commuting, but a ride a summer or so back, a week-end away in wales with daughter on the back; she was 'wowed' by all the filtering we'd done on the way up on the M6, then on the way back, through road-works on the A5, in the rain actually, when it had been, on both runs a lot like Moses parting the Red-Sea, and filtering assertively rather than aggressively, commanding road space, cars just opened up a lane between them for us.. DON'T happen very often, but it IS magic when it happens; I think I managed something near 50 miles through stop/start traffic between roadworks and roundabouts, without having to put my foot-down more than two or three times!!!

BUT... if you want to buy something to help you filter..... I am going to offer a rather offbeat suggestion; An Open Face Crash-Hat and a SMILE. Honestly; it DOES make a difference!

Working that 'voodoo' trying to dominate your road-room; trying to influence drivers almost by telepathy alone, shear will power; car drivers are sat in their hermetically sealed isolation; frustrated by 'other-traffic'; everything is de-personalised and they are seeing 'cars' not people; inanimate objects, that they are in competition with...

Bike comes up behind them; it tends to engender a negative response; "Oh no! you DONT!.. WE all have to wait in line, so should YOU!"

Mere suggestion you are not playing by thier rules; and NOT sitting in the stack waiting your turn, tends to make them hostile to you, and even if they don't inch over and try and close the door on you, amazing how many you will get sat inches away from you, heads rigid refusing to look at you, make eye contact or acknowledge you, because they DON'T want to let you 'get away with it'.

BUT, if you are in an open; its amazing, how it changes thier perception; they don't see another inanimate, impersonal 'vehicle', they see a face.... and particularly if its a smiling face, it instantly aleviates that 'threat', and challenge, and instead of sitting there po faced gaze welded on the stop lamps of the car infront, they WILL look at you, they will make eye contact, and they MIGHT even... eek.... SMILE BACK!!!!

And they so much more gladly let you have that road room, even try make some for you....

So; top tips for filtering? Remove the aggression. Keep speeds to a trickle above traffic; keep the revs down, and don't 'blip'; wear an open face, and a smile, and THANK folk for making space... even iof they didn't really!

It's ALL so much in the attitute; and making that voodoo work for you; commanding other traffic with more than road possition, but your MIND.. so they do stay the fuck put, or they do make room, and think you have done them a favor for it!

Its a mental battle, not a mechanical one.... but a more upright riding position and a light clutch can help! An open face hat even more, but remember the smile... and that costs nothing, and starts the whole ball rolling on the 'attitude' given and gotten.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 208 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3