Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Anyone fitted luggage to a Yamaha XJ6?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

primalcarl
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:24 - 26 Sep 2016    Post subject: Anyone fitted luggage to a Yamaha XJ6? Reply with quote

I want to travel in Europe next year and was thinking about changing my bike for something more suited to touring, but now I don't think I can be bothered switching bikes but just put hard luggage on my XJ6N.

Has anyone here fitted hard luggage? There's a Shad kit including topbox for £500. I started looking at Givi but looks more expensive and got confusing with the various brackets their stuff uses

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:31 - 27 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 up or solo?

Solid topbox + soft panniers + rollbag on the rear seat might be a cheaper and easier route to go.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:59 - 27 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Givi is more expensive, but generally good stuff.
One thing to consider (if going down the hard luggage route) - this is an investment that can move from bike to bike, as long as there are racks available for your next bike and the bags stay in reasonable nick. If you look at it as a long term thing rather than for only this bike it's a bit less painful.

primalcarl
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 08:47 - 27 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tdibs wrote:
2 up or solo?

Solid topbox + soft panniers + rollbag on the rear seat might be a cheaper and easier route to go.

Ideally 2up but I don't have a lady at the moment so chances are it would be solo Very Happy

Do the soft panniers rub against the bike? If they do I guess you could protect the bike somehow?

primalcarl
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 08:49 - 27 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:
Givi is more expensive, but generally good stuff.
One thing to consider (if going down the hard luggage route) - this is an investment that can move from bike to bike, as long as there are racks available for your next bike and the bags stay in reasonable nick. If you look at it as a long term thing rather than for only this bike it's a bit less painful.

Ideal, I hadn't really thought of it like that

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:07 - 27 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are solo then get a Kriega US30 tail pack. They fit easily and securely to the pillion seat, 100% waterproof and space for 2 weeks wort if you pack sensibly. Top boxes hang the weight out behind the rear wheel which is not ideal and they cant carry that much. You need the weight on the seat really. Hard luggage is expensive, the hangers make the bike look ugly and it can end up wide, difficult for filtering.

primalcarl
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:23 - 27 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
If you are solo then get a Kriega US30 tail pack. They fit easily and securely to the pillion seat, 100% waterproof and space for 2 weeks wort if you pack sensibly. Top boxes hang the weight out behind the rear wheel which is not ideal and they cant carry that much. You need the weight on the seat really. Hard luggage is expensive, the hangers make the bike look ugly and it can end up wide, difficult for filtering.

Wow I like the look of that! If I could hold everything I need in one of those then I'm definitely tempted

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:18 - 27 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like hard luggage. Unclip it, walk into hotel with your suitcase, so easy.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:25 - 29 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

I like Kriega soft luggage. Unclip it, walk into hotel with your suitcase tail pack, so easy.

With the added bonus I can fit it to any of the bikes I own.

primalcarl
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:04 - 29 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ordered the Kriega US-30 for now and will see how I get on with it. I like the option to add to it as well. Cheers for the recommendation Matt

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:04 - 02 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

I like Kriega soft luggage. Unclip it, walk into hotel with your suitcase tail pack, so easy.

With the added bonus I can fit it to any of the bikes I own.

Suits and shirts don't stay crease free in soft luggage. Mr. Green

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:36 - 02 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Suits

Your trips are obviously far more upmarket than ours Shocked

What you will get as well with hard luggage is that bit of added security when leaving stuff on the bike.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:39 - 02 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reasonably often take a suit on the bike. Normally at work it's just shirt and trousers, but for customer meetings it's full on suit. Some customers I ride to their place, the receptionist lets me change in their loos, dump the bike kit back on the bike safely locked up in the hard cases, then back into the building and get checked in (actually, most of these sites are pretty secure, so I wouldn't worry about soft luggage for theft).

The Pan's top box is big enough for a suit in a soft carrier (essentially just a cover) to be loosely folded in three. The panniers take the rest of my stuff, so there is no compression on the suit and it doesn't crease.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:47 - 02 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get some SW Motech Quicklok Evo racks, and adapters for your preferred luggage. Really strong rack, easily removed for days you don't want a big frame on the back of your bike.

https://shop.sw-motech.com/cgi-bin/cosmoshop/lshop.cgi?action=showdetail&wkid=147542284730047&ls=en&nc=1475422918-31977&rubnum=brands.kawasaki.er6f&artnum=KFT.08.477.20000/B&id=34&gesamt_zeilen=Tshowrub--brands.kawasaki.er6f&typid=228821591

I got a set for my bandit as the givi own brand rack was discontinued and I had 3 big and 2 small givi boxes. There's a top rack and mounting plate available as well, but the max load is quite low. Mostly a top box is for keeping a helmet in when you park up.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 201 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1