Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Squeaky Brakes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

nschadle
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:42 - 29 Sep 2016    Post subject: Squeaky Brakes Reply with quote

Sorry if this is a dumb question; I'm a novice motorcycle rider. I own a 1994 Suzuki gn125. The breaks have never been replaced to my knowledge, but it only has a few thousand miles on it. The front breaks are squeaking horribly, but only about half of the time when I ride it. It sounds like metal on metal.

Do I need new break pads? Or to I just need to take it apart and clean in? How does one tell the difference?

Thanks for the help!

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 14:48 - 29 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metal on metal would be more of a grinding noise as opposed to a squeak.

you should be able to eye ball the pads while still in the calliper and your looking for how much break material is left on the pad.

quick goggle shows these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/311697976119?lpid=122&chn=ps&adgroupid=27378760866&rlsatarget=pla-181484354946&adtype=pla&poi=&googleloc=9045906&device=c&campaignid=620865095&crdt=0

the lines down the centre are wear markers.
once the pads are worn past the wear maker its time to consider replacing.

if you let it get to metal on metal then you risk damaging the disks which is far more expensive than a set of pads.

no harm in giving it a good clean.
put some copper slip on the back of the pads.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:19 - 29 Sep 2016    Post subject: Re: Squeaky Brakes Reply with quote

nschadle wrote:
Sorry if this is a dumb question

Not at all.

But calling them breaks is pretty dumb Wink

Also ... workshop section?

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:53 - 29 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youtube will tell you how brakes work, and how to maintain them, and check them. Doesn't really matter what bike, the principle is the same. If your pads still have meat on them, dismantle, inspect, clean, thoroughly squirt off any contact points with brake cleaner. Then grease (copper slip or similar) the back of the pads (not the front, duh).

The grease on the back of the pads should prevent squealing but you should check and clean (or replace if necessary) the other bits - you do need to maintain brakes other than just changing pads if they wear.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:14 - 29 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

New pads willbe a few quid so change them anyway

Clean disc with mMr sheen( other polishes available )

And I'm not joking it burns off with the heat from braking and you will be amazed how much shit comes off the disc with it when wiped off with a rag
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 17:46 - 29 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a work-shop manual and a pair of new brake pads.
Be VERY careful, to clean the caliper and the piston and all around it thoroughly with hot soapy water and a stiff brush, before you start taking anything apart; when brake pads wear they leave dust around everything, which when it gets wet, usually traps moisture and makes it acidic, promoting corrosion, that can make bits stick or squeek... but, hint is its time for some maintenence.
DONT try pushing the piston straight back into the caliper to get the new brake pad in.
Make sure its as clean as you can get it, and that the piston itself isn't pitted or corroded where its been sat out in the elements, collecting brake dust as the brake pad has worn away... pushing it back in if its dirty or corroded is a recipe for later brake failure when the rough piston will be wearing on the seal that keeps the fluid in.
Make sure its all clean as possible; and grease the pins that the caliper moves sideways on, pilling the back of the caliper and inside brake pad against the disc as the piston pushes outside pad against the other side of the disc; and the back of the new pads, LIGHTLY with coppa grease.
Check the manual for correct fitment of the 'antirattle' clip if there is one, and the pad retaining pins.

Then ponder how much else may benefit from a little preventative maintenence....

PS: I say buy new pads; as they are cheap; and if you are going to go to the effort of stripping and cleaning, you may as well do the job once and be done, rather than try and eek out a few pennies more life from whats a £10 service item, you are likely going to have to buy at some point and do the job over.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:43 - 02 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both my GZs (cruiserette version of the GN) had noisy brakes. Do as tef says, 125's get horrible neglect. Grease the pins the caliper floats on as well. The haynes for the GN/GS/GZ/DR can be found on ebay for cheaps.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 178 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1