Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

IOM in November

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ash-69
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:09 - 25 Oct 2016    Post subject: IOM in November Reply with quote

So after last weeks maudlin pissed up rant about death stuff, I figured I'd do something to cheer myself up a bit, so I've booked a long weekend on the Island.

Me n bike on Heysham Ferry out next Thursday, back Monday staying in Douglas B&B, never been before so will be trying to wobble my way round the circuit, selfies outside the famous bits/bars etc, Port Erin fireworks on the Satd'y, Steam train, and erm what else is still open in November, trams, mountain railway and Laxey Wheel all shut ??

Anybody local who knows if/what might still be worth going having a look at - motorcycle/TT museums or collections, etc ...

Cheers

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:34 - 25 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure the horse trams along Douglas prom will have finished by now iirc. You'd not be missing much anyway, well nothing except money out of your pocket.

The Laxey wheel probably won't be in operation but, you can always hop over the gate if it's shut and have a good look around.

Steam train may be limited to commuter times only but, you'll have to check that out, as I think they were planning on scrapping that service too.

As for other things. Well, there's a Tesco store and a McDonald's. . Laughing

Peel Castle might be worth a gander if that sort of thing floats your boat. Again though, you may have to admire the outside walls, as it's probably shut too now. It's still worth a ride there though as there's a café at the harbour, where old folks and the occasional biker or two hang out sometimes.

Sound in the South of the island can be quite nice, as it has views over to the calf of Man and there's usually loads of seals around, as well as some Basking Sharks if you're lucky. There's also a café there.

There's a prison, so don't do anything naughty, as they are much more eager to lock you up than they are in the UK and that's open all year round. Thumbs Up

I used to regularly ride up to the Point of Ayre. There's sod all there mind but, on a clear day you can see Scotland, Ireland and England.

If the electric tram is running and you decide to take a ride on it DON'T sit on the seats with the wooden slats or your arse will be sore for a week.

Beware of early morning rides over the mountain too, as there's likely to be extremely heavy fog up there, that you'll have trouble seeing you front wheel, never mind anything else.

Other than that, just have a ride around. There's some nice picturesque places around but, not much else I'm afraid.

Oh, and if you pass the Hospice, could you pop in and kick my ex boss in the cnut. Thanks in advance. Thumbs Up

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:42 - 25 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't tell everyone Dave, or they'll all want to go Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:48 - 25 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Don't tell everyone Dave, or they'll all want to go Laughing

I forgot to mention the Daily Mail readers. The place is swarming with them. Laughing

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

Ash-69
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:23 - 25 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for that Dave, I just fancy a look around the place while it's quiet to be honest, like I said never been before so looking forward to seeing some places I've only seen on the box, assuming I can miss the mountain mist of course...

I keep saying that one of these days I'll get to come across and see some racing, so good opportunity for a bit of recon.

Dail Fail and cnut kickers, check ... Laughing

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:35 - 25 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a totally different place during racing, as you can imagine.

I'd certainly recommend going over for the TT or even the Grand Prix to any biker.

The actual race circuit was one of my favourite rides tbh, it has a little bit of everything in it. Just be careful not to be tempted to go 180mph just because you're allowed to. Not until you know the roads anyway. Thumbs Up

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:02 - 26 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

We went over last October, there was an offer on with ferry prices!
Surprisingly, the weather was great, probably just a blip though!
If you like riding around and admiring the view it's great!
It's very quiet compared to the mainland, Douglas was virtually deserted in the evening, although most hostelries are a still open, managed a curry and a restaurant for meals!
Worth a visit if you've got the time and money!

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:39 - 26 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

We loved it when we went. Yes there was a TT on when we were there ( we went for that and that was great) ... but the island is a fantastic place to go around. It's like combining the mountains of Scotland with the flats of Norfolk with the countryside of North Yorkshire in between and the people .... unbelievably friendly.

Piss funny in the summer heat watching bikers in monkeysuits sweating and oiling their way up the walks around the Laxey Wheel.

The best views for us were up over the A36 (great road) or out along the A4 - some evil blind corners on this, caught 2 bikes out whilst we were there. We did a shade over 600 miles driving on the island whilst we were there. Saw most of the things Dave recommended above.

The mountain when the sun is gone and the fog is in is COLD and i really mean COLD and damp. You'll need to wrap up warm for that.

I'd go back Thumbs Up

Ash-69
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:09 - 26 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed on the ferry prices - there's a short stay special on at the moment so £90 return for me and the bike, rated but cheap last minute B&B in Douglas, leaves plenty of budget for beer, chips and petrol Thumbs Up

331X2
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 09:12 - 30 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murrays motorcycle museum is a good walk around, far better than the new one at Jurby. The Raven at Ballaugh does a good breakfast, some good pubs in Peel for food too, check to see if beach racing is on while you're there.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:20 - 02 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

IOm in November - brave man.. I was once stranded for 24 hours at the end of the TT in 1997 - I thought I was in a plague town. I couldn't belive how fast the place changed after the racing. If you're happy in you own company fair enough but really I don't think I would do it and I love the place..

My tips try and find the Market Inn not far from the quayside in Douglas.
A no frills 70s style boozer - feel like an episode from The Sweeney. Nearby there is a cafe in the Market Hall opposite the British legion..

As mentioned Murrays museum is a good way to while away a morning..

Decent pub in Castletown by the quay there too.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:12 - 03 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
A no frills 70s Iittle boozer - feel like an episode from The Sweeney.

There's also The Saddle Inn pub near there but, I wouldn't recommend it, unless you're with some locals. It really is like something out of Little Britain.

Ash-69
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:47 - 03 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for all the tips guys, bike fuelled up and ready to roll, damned sight easier to pack for summer than winter.
Just sat having a maccy breakfast before loading up the bike before hitting the motorway, I'm only down the road in St Anne's so not too far to ride when the inevitable rain comes.... Confused

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:27 - 03 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rain might be the least of your problems. Laughing

https://i.imgur.com/Y4xKN70.jpg

Good luck. Thumbs Up

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:38 - 09 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave70 wrote:
A100man wrote:
A no frills 70s Iittle boozer - feel like an episode from The Sweeney.

There's also The Saddle Inn pub near there but, I wouldn't recommend it, unless you're with some locals. It really is like something out of Little Britain.

Blimey, the Saddle's like the cocktail bar at the Ritz compared to teh Market Inn.. Then there's the Rovers Return of course..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Ash-69
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:24 - 09 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually ended up in the Albert near the quayside - it was packed on the Friday night, looked to me like proppa locals, complete with karaoke (each to their own...).

Other than that, managed to find my way round the TT circuit without breaking anything, cold, windy, loads of resurfacing, wet leaves, low sun etc but still enjoyed myself.

Probably go back when it warms up a bit and have a better look round ... Thumbs Up

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 09 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash-69 wrote:
Actually ended up in the Albert near the quayside - it was packed on the Friday night, looked to me like proppa locals, complete with karaoke (each to their own...).

Other than that, managed to find my way round the TT circuit without breaking anything, cold, windy, loads of resurfacing, wet leaves, low sun etc but still enjoyed myself.

Probably go back when it warms up a bit and have a better look round ... Thumbs Up

Glad you survived. I've had many a drunken night at the Albert, minus the karaoke though (as far as I can recall anyway) Thumbs Up

It might be worth going over for the Manx Grand Prix in August next time. You'll stand a better chance of decent weather and although it's not as busy as the TT, there's still a decent biking vibe on the island.

rubyhorse2
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:18 - 10 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

never been in the Albert, we generally go to the ones on the front of the Quay, cant remember the name but good food in the day and a good night with live music later on.

Quite like the Quay area as its a bit quieter than the front of Douglas during TT week.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 161 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1