Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Where to buy my security?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

onlyJaz
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:18 - 27 Oct 2016    Post subject: Where to buy my security? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Please bear with me here Praying

I was initially going to ask for information about the length/thickness of a chain but I came across this thread which answered a lot of my questions

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=262313

I have a Yamaha YBR 125 (2010) and plan to park it in front of my house on my lawn literally in front of my kitchen window. Fortunately I have a lamp post on the edge of the pavement and my front lawn Thumbs Up so I plan to chain my back tyre/frame to the lamppost and I have a cheap alarmed disk lock for the front wheel (I don't know how reliable this disk lock is yet as the previous owner gave it with the bike and it has no brand, can anyone advise if I should buy a new one?)

For this reason, I am deciding to go for a 2m chain with 16mm thickness - but which brand? And where can anyone recommend I get it from so I get a decent price? Budget is open to the cost of £150..

So to simplify,

1 - Do I need a new alarmed disk lock? Any way I can test the effectiveness of my current one? I don't know how a good one is supposed to react

2 - Advice on brand of chain and where to get it from?

3 - I've been advised to get a Datatool Devil 1000 lock for the chain, any good?

Ooo one more thing!

4 - I am due to get a Topbox (possibly 40L), will the chain be good enough and practical enough to carry around in there when I go to the shops etc or will the disk lock suffice? (parking at work isn't a problem)

Thanks a lot guys! And apologies if you've had to discuss this so many times Doh!

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:22 - 27 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almax Immobiliser Series III + Squire SS65CS Stronghold Lock for me, knocked off quite a bit on the insurance in the form of a partial refund.

A bit more than your budget, but just call and ask for a discount.

Just make sure you loop it through the frame somewhere and not just the tyre.

oh and I've got some alarmed oxford boss disc lock thing for the front, it's ok, I guess, could be louder.

Last edited by owl on 16:41 - 27 Oct 2016; edited 1 time in total

tom_e
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:40 - 27 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almax or Pragmasis anything else is just window dressing.

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:53 - 27 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure many people carry chains in their topbox. Bear in mind that the weight of a good chain will make your bike handle differently, though, particularly at low speeds, if it's slid around. I'd probably use a tail pack for it instead.

Is a disklock good enough when you're out and about? Depends how often you want to have your bike pinched.

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:59 - 27 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pragmasis make 13mm chains with a noose which almost doubles the usable length.
For home security, I'd recommend 16mm. There is little difference among 16, 19 and 22mm: none can be bolt cropped manually, but the extra effort needed in cutting one with an angle grinder or a hydraulic cutter is not great, if I understand correctly.
Do make sure the chain can pass through wherever you want it to pass through (eg the spokes). Pragmasis also sell a security lock so you can chain the frame, not the wheels, of your bike.

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:09 - 27 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look up Pragmasis's anti-pinch-pin. Neat idea.

LeeW
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:40 - 27 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="vice"]Almax Immobiliser Series III + Squire SS65CS Stronghold Lock for me, knocked off quite a bit on the insurance in the form of a partial refund.

oh and I've got some alarmed oxford boss disc lock thing for the front, it's ok, I guess, could be louder.[/quote]

This.

Mine turned up yesterday and it's quality and heavier than I thought Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:09 - 27 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Londoner2015 wrote:
Pragmasis make 13mm chains with a noose which almost doubles the usable length.

They're doing them in 16mm now as well, huzzah.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:47 - 27 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
Almax Immobiliser Series III + Squire SS65CS Stronghold Lock for me, knocked off quite a bit on the insurance in the form of a partial refund.

oh and I've got some alarmed oxford boss disc lock thing for the front, it's ok, I guess, could be louder.

LeeW wrote:

This.

Mine turned up yesterday and it's quality and heavier than I thought Thumbs Up

Leave it at work bays as parked in central London, carry it occasionally, not pleasant, but not unbearable, would definitely be better in a tail bag. It's on the list... after tyres, suspension, mirrors, etc... oh yeah and a second one for home.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:47 - 28 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

angryjonny wrote:
Look up Pragmasis's anti-pinch-pin. Neat idea.

yup it's what I use Thumbs Up ( plus another good chain round the back wheel, with separate ground anchors.)

however, I have friends who use them and who have still had their bikes stolen, mostly dirt bikes

No offence meant OP, but I doubt anyone would want your 125 enough to attack such security with power tools, but it is always a possibility, albeit very slim IMHO.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:28 - 28 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:

No offence meant OP, but I doubt anyone would want your 125 enough to attack such security with power tools, but it is always a possibility, albeit very slim IMHO.

Don't end up like this guy, whose chain is worth more than his bike Very Happy

https://www.motoclub-tingavert.it/ul1502/immagini/upload_user/242520_1455376574_0.jpg[/img]

onlyJaz
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:09 - 28 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses guys, some good recommendations so I've kind of narrowed it down here:

Almax - https://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/Almax-Immobiliser-Series-III--Squire-SS65CS-Stronghold-Lock__p-123.aspx
Would a 1.5m chain suffice..?

or

Pragmasis - https://securityforbikes.com/proddetail.php?prod=P16-x.x
With datatool Devil 1000 disk lock? Or happy if someone can recommend a better one?

thx1138 wrote:
No offence meant OP, but I doubt anyone would want your 125 enough

Absolutely none taken Laughing it's one of the reasons why I'm happy I haven't bought a sporty looking bike 125 like the YZF. And also another reason why I don't want to spend toooo much on security. There are just so many options and I don't know too much! Brick Wall

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:28 - 28 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

only125 wrote:
Would a 1.5m chain suffice..?

If you can always get right next to your friendly lamp-post, just about. Think about it though, it's less than 75cm each way, and that's got to go around the post and through your bike.

2m is the minimum I'd want to use to lock on to anything, or a 1.5m Pragmasis 16mm noose chain.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:35 - 28 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed go for 2m, rather wrap it round an extra time than it be too short to reach. I faced the same choice and went with 2m and glad I did.

Also try keep the chain off the ground as much as possible if you can.

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:37 - 28 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
Agreed go for 2m, rather wrap it round an extra time than it be too short to reach. I faced the same choice and went with 2m and glad I did.

And don't carry it around your neck when riding, unless you want to win this: https://www.darwinawards.com/

No, it's not a joke: I have seen many people do just that in London.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:43 - 28 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Londoner2015 wrote:
vice wrote:

And don't carry it around your neck when riding, unless you want to win this: https://www.darwinawards.com/

No, it's not a joke: I have seen many people do just that in London.

hahah yeah seen this too... when my mate saw my chain he was like "wtf do you do with that wrap it round yourself like ghost rider?" I was errrr no, I just leave it here (locked obviously).

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:27 - 28 Oct 2016    Post subject: re Reply with quote

+1 for the almax with squire lock, the anti-pinch pin looks interesting but I wonder if a static item such as this is easier to cut through than a more "fluid" item like a chain, probably both the same though.

at my work-site i have nothing to chain too in westminster so i park in a motorcycle bay with an abus disc lock on the front 11mm one, and a xena disc lock alarm on the back. and park next to a hayabusa Laughing

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:29 - 28 Oct 2016    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:
and park next to a hayabusa Laughing

the best kind of security... unless the scums van is big enough for two bikes Sad

onlyJaz
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:40 - 28 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

2m is the minimum I'd want to use

vice wrote:

Agreed go for 2m

Thanks guys

vice wrote:
I just leave it here (locked obviously)

I hear that you shouldn't leave your chain by itself as people can use power tools to either cut a link when you're not around and replace it with a fat zip-tie or cut 90% the way through so when you unsuspectingly return and chain your bike up, they can hop along like the scumbags they are and just finish the job quite easily..

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:41 - 28 Oct 2016    Post subject: re Reply with quote

in london it is usually a 2 up on a scooter job and push away, but your right if with van then your bike is going in the back too. luckily i am only on a cbr125 for now (DAS next month) so hopefully they dont want it lol

onlyJaz
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:49 - 28 Oct 2016    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:
+1 for the almax with squire lock,

at my work-site i have nothing to chain too in westminster so i park in a motorcycle bay with an abus disc lock on the front 11mm one, and a xena disc lock alarm on the back. and park next to a hayabusa Laughing

I work in Westminster too, but luckily we have parking behind our building just for employees. It seems an area with lots of solo bays which is good. I often catch myself admiring the bikes as I walk past and try to see what others have done to secure theirs, but I probably look like a potential thief in a suit so I try to avoid Tut Tut

Would you recommend a Xena alarmed disk lock? Or will my current one suffice seeing as it's more of a deterrent than anything else..

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:49 - 28 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

only125 wrote:

vice wrote:
I just leave it here (locked obviously)

I hear that you shouldn't leave your chain by itself as people can use power tools to either cut a link when you're not around and replace it with a fat zip-tie or cut 90% the way through so when you unsuspectingly return and chain your bike up, they can hop along like the scumbags they are and just finish the job quite easily..

that's true, but I can't lug a >15 kg chain back and forth every day.
with the protective sleeve it's quite difficult to tamper without it being quite obvious and I check it everyday to see if anyone has messed with it.

they also have the other disc lock to contend with, the immobiliser and the tracker, if they can get past all of that and don't want the BMW R1200GS that only has a tiny disc lock parked next to me, they can have it.

Last edited by owl on 15:03 - 28 Oct 2016; edited 2 times in total

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:58 - 28 Oct 2016    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

only125 wrote:
bigdom86 wrote:
+1 for the almax with squire lock,

I work in Westminster too, but luckily we have parking behind our building just for employees. It seems an area with lots of solo bays which is good. I often catch myself admiring the bikes as I walk past and try to see what others have done to secure theirs, but I probably look like a potential thief in a suit so I try to avoid Tut Tut

Would you recommend a Xena alarmed disk lock? Or will my current one suffice seeing as it's more of a deterrent than anything else..

my xena still works after 2 years but does have many false alarms, but it is only another deterrent that is all it is. it wont stop a professional theif, but it may deter a little scummy chav wanting a go on it as the alarm will most likely put them off and "hopefully" hospital staff and pedestrians may take a look but i doubt it. we had a guy walk on-site last month with a grinder to a chain and wheeled the bike off, 20 witnesses and no one said anything, security saw the footage after

onlyJaz
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:05 - 28 Oct 2016    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:

it wont stop a professional theif, but it may deter a little scummy chav wanting a go on it as the alarm will most likely put them off and "hopefully" hospital staff and pedestrians may take a look but i doubt it. we had a guy walk on-site last month with a grinder to a chain and wheeled the bike off, 20 witnesses and no one said anything, security saw the footage after

Yeah like someone mentioned earlier, I do hope no "pros" are interested in my YBR125, that would be a bit weird.

Your story reminds me of this, some people really don't care who is watching when they're tooled up and masked up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRwE_gAIkPA

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:33 - 28 Oct 2016    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

Chaining motorcycles together would also help.
Not as in closing your chain around the wheel of another bike, of course, but as in looping your security chain through that of another bike. This way scumbags cannot just lift your bike and load it into a van, but at the same time the owner of the other bike can open his chain and leave without you being there. I do wonder, however, how many fellow genius bikers would realise this, and how many would go ballistic thinking: oh no, he has chained me! Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 152 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2