Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Advice on getting the bike parked/winter ready

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tigerlea
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:19 - 27 Oct 2016    Post subject: Advice on getting the bike parked/winter ready Reply with quote

Not sure this should be here or under General Bike chat... but as some could be considered maintenance, I thought here a good bet!

I've never owned a bike over the winter months so I have no idea how to get the bike ready. Additionally, I don't own a garage, nor do I have access to one. I have a little paved drive where I'm hoping my bike will be safe from the elements... ish.

So, with that knowledge, and knowing there is no way I'm going to get on a bike over the winter months so I'll be parking it until Spring.. what should I do to get it ready/safe/in a good state ready to be parked up for an unknown length of time..?

Any advice will be massively appreciated. Thank you!

PS ~ yes, I did search through the forums.. didn't really help.. soz.

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:26 - 27 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike cover, acf-50, fuel stabiliser. Shouldn't crumble to bits with that lot. If the bike is on concrete, try and put something under the tyres too (wood or stiff cardboard if you can't find anything else), but make sure it's stable. I'd go and start it once every couple weeks and let it warm up too.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:29 - 27 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not riding it at all? Blimey?? Ok, well, I'm sure others will chip in, on your paved drive, can you not get something like this ...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorbike-Waterproof-Storage-Shelter-Tent-Black-Protection-Security-/222283001820?hash=item33c1196fdc:g:FxUAAOSwNRdYAqqA

Give the bike a good clean, then lube as and where needed, then cover anywhere appropriate with acf-50, or at the very least WD40/GT350.

Also, disconnect, or even remove the battery, and put it on a trickle charge, as the cold/prolonged inactivity will do the battery no good at all.

Personally, if I wasn't going to ride in the wet/snow/ice, I would get the cover, and ride it on dry days at least ...

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:16 - 27 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you store vehicles at big yellow storage type places?

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:33 - 27 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

UnknownStuntman wrote:
I'd go and start it once every couple weeks and let it warm up too.

I agree with the rest but this I'd like to challenge because aren't you really just killing the battery since all you'll be doing is putting a load on the battery and using its juice without actually charging it? Wouldn't taking the battery out of the bike and putting it on a long trickle charge be the better option given batteries don't like the cold anyway?

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:41 - 27 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
UnknownStuntman wrote:
I'd go and start it once every couple weeks and let it warm up too.

I agree with the rest but this I'd like to challenge because aren't you really just killing the battery since all you'll be doing is putting a load on the battery and using its juice without actually charging it? Wouldn't taking the battery out of the bike and putting it on a long trickle charge be the better option given batteries don't like the cold anyway?

Yeah, you're right, that's the best bet. Some bikes don't charge on idle, all depends on the motor really. I know my RGV charges on idle, but I once had a Hornet that most definitely did not!

Shinigami
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:12 - 27 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Can you store vehicles at big yellow storage type places?

possibly but i'd bet they'd make you take out any fuel/oil which might leave the tank susceptible to corrosion?

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 17:12 - 27 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't bother with fuel stabilizer, if you can get it off the tyres do, (center/abba stand) take the battery inside. Throw some ACF50 at it and put a decent cover over it.

Bloggsy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:59 - 27 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Park the bike up and get it winter ready,ride the bloody thing that's what it is designed for, in 50 years of riding I have never put a bike into hibernation for the winter.

Last edited by Bloggsy on 19:28 - 27 Oct 2016; edited 1 time in total

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:23 - 27 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do get a cover, whats the wind like where you are?
By that, I mean bike covers increase the surface area of your bike without increase its weight. Wind catches it and boom the bike goes over.

If you're in a protected spot, or can tie things down then that would help.

ACF50, fill the tank with fuel, lube the chain well with oil (to avoid finding it covered in rust). Secure it well from thieves and wind. Remove battery and put it on charge every couple of weeks.

There is no law says you must rest your bike over winter, but equally none to say you must ride. Stating the obvious a bit there.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:06 - 27 Oct 2016    Post subject: Re: Advice on getting the bike parked/winter ready Reply with quote

Tigerlea wrote:
there is no way I'm going to get on a bike over the winter months

Pussy

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:11 - 27 Oct 2016    Post subject: Re: Advice on getting the bike parked/winter ready Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Pussy

Do expand given that I don't recall similar remarks in the thread about people only doing a handful of miles this year, not riding in rain so on and so forth?

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:13 - 27 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem every year toward the end of spring.

Riding in summer is just shit - it's hot, sweaty, too bright and there's all these horrible 'bikers' out getting in my fucking way.

Definitely don't ride your bike over winter, you'll ruin it for me.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:15 - 27 Oct 2016    Post subject: Re: Advice on getting the bike parked/winter ready Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Pussy

Do expand given that I don't recall similar remarks in the thread about people only doing a handful of miles this year, not riding in rain so on and so forth?

There's a difference between not doing any miles due to riding other bikes and purposely removing the bike for at least 3 month a year due to scared.

I don't go out in the rain if I can avoid it, but if I need to go to work I'll go out in monsoon conditions.

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:18 - 27 Oct 2016    Post subject: Re: Advice on getting the bike parked/winter ready Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

I don't go out in the rain if I can avoid it.

Pussy

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:21 - 27 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I found the explanation.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=4374884&highlight=#4374884

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:28 - 27 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get it serviced, or service yourself it before you put it away. Don't go starting it every few weeks there's no point, in fact it's a bad idea. Put an optimate on it. Fill it up with fuel. ACF-50 it.

If it's staying outdoors and you're putting a cover on it make sure it wont rub on the paintwork when the wind picks up. You could bubble wrap to protect the areas where it would rub, or use something else.

Tigerlea
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:17 - 28 Oct 2016    Post subject: Re: Advice on getting the bike parked/winter ready Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Pussy

Yes, I do have one of those. So glad your powers of observation are keen.

Why am I parking it up this winter? Because I have a damaged ankle that won't hold the bike up if it starts to slip on the cold, wet ground of this godforsaken country. So a choice between not riding in weather conditions where I know I won't have full control of the bike, or riding, dropping, and having to repair the pretty thing.. Huh. Hard choice.

And I HAVE ridden in monsoon conditions. It's how I got the bike home the day I bought it. I just know my own limits and, oh yeah, I'm not an idiot.*

Cheers all for the legit advice, by the by..

*Clarification: I do not imply those who ride in winter are idiots; I feel I would be an idiot to ride when I'm not in control of the bike..

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:32 - 28 Oct 2016    Post subject: Re: Advice on getting the bike parked/winter ready Reply with quote

Tigerlea wrote:

Why am I parking it up this winter? Because I have a damaged ankle that won't hold the bike up if it starts to slip on the cold, wet ground of this godforsaken country. So a choice between not riding in weather conditions where I know I won't have full control of the bike, or riding, dropping, and having to repair the pretty thing.. Huh. Hard choice.

This is another reason why the lesser gendered shouldn't be allowed driving licenses.

Last edited by Nobby the Bastard on 15:12 - 28 Oct 2016; edited 1 time in total

Tigerlea
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:52 - 28 Oct 2016    Post subject: Re: Advice on getting the bike parked/winter ready Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
This is another reason why the lesser gendered shouldn't be allowed driving licenses.

I'm sorry running a half marathon ain't good enough for you Laughing

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:21 - 28 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would:

-fresh oil change
-brim the tank and add stabliser. Alternatively remove and drain the tank and keep it indoors.
-remove battery and stick on trickle charger
-Thorough clean and cover in ACF50 (apply with a brush and avoid brake disks)
-Ensure all pivot points are lubricated
-Put it on a stand if possible (tyres can develop slight flat spots if they sit still on a hard surface for prolonged periods) or put something softer under the tyres.
-block up any open ports with a rag
-put a decent cover over it.
-I wouldn't start it unless I was actually going to ride it.

I have a CX500 that was sitting in a garage for 30 years untouched. Basically all of the above had been done in some variation (grease rather than ACF50 - what a bugger to clean off) and it's absolutely immaculate considering.

That said I have never taken a bike off the road for the winter but that will be changing with my CX500 - it's old I don't want to salt it. The newer bikes can suffer that.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 182 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1