Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

My xj is dead and I'm crippled. SMIDSY ALERT. pics page 2

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to Moderator's Forum by stinkwheel (16 Nov 2016 - 09:25)
 Topic moved: from Moderator's Forum to General Bike Chat by stinkwheel (3 Dec 2016 - 08:54)
View previous topic : View next topic  

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:47 - 03 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:
So, some blind cunt drove in front of Smiler and we all tell him it's his fault?

Shocked Are you ok Nobby? It's just that Nobby the compassionate just doesn't have the same ring to it. Laughing

Is not compassion. When people are wrong I tell them so.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:59 - 03 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did similar when I was 17. But I was driving a 1.2 corsa and patched it up for £500.

Showing off with four mates in the car, took a corner too fast thinking I'd get a little slide and look cool as fuck. Slid right into the kerb and folded the drivers side front wheel under the car.
Did not look cool.
Did start driving slower.

Glad I didn't have a bike at that age or I'd have gone over that kerb, been catapulted through the fence behind it and come out as sausages on the other side.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:20 - 03 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
So, some blind cunt drove in front of Smiler and we all tell him it's his fault?

I can honestly say I've only ever had someone 'pull out on me' maybe twice. Both times I wasn't paying as much attention as I should have been. I can admit that.

It is possible that Smiler's accident was absolutely unavoidable. However, we weren't there, and we're pretty clear that Smiler is good at asserting his lack of fault so on the balance of probabilities there was likely something he could have done. Even if it was just rolling off the throttle or positioning himself better in the corner so he could see - something.

Of course there is a small possibility that he was riding perfectly and the car neither indicated, nor slowed, nor showed any other indication it wanted to turn, and that the driver was so myopic as to have missed a motorcycle riding towards him, and that once the turn was made there was absolutely no possibility of avoiding action on Smiler's part.

As they always say on Air Crash Investigation - It's never a single factor that causes accidents, it's always multiple things that all contribute to the final result. All I'm asking is that Sammy at least entertain that possibility.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:02 - 03 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the people on about I could of escaped this I bet you would say I could of stopped my neighbour from reversing her 4x4 over Loz's and Sickpups ER5 that I was loaned. Bike parked one side of a driveway, 4x4 parked the other side. Coming out of her house she can see where the bike is.

Yes a lot of accidents can be avoided this wasn't one. I'm not going into the details as this case is ongoing. I'm not going to jeopardise anything; this is most probably me being over the top but still is it worth it Question

Few mentionable details, he didn't indicate, he didn't show any sign of changing direction due to straight lining the junction and he was over 60 years old.

Personally I did the best thing that I could think of and try get around the car due to it being so close and there were no other exits. This was the only way I could do it and tried to get around the car I reacted the best as I could at the time. Full on brakes could of meant locking them and hitting the car side on as this would have been on the corner. From having travelled on the road for 3 years; going along in car, motorbike,push bike and walking. I know that there was no way to go left or right. Left meant a curb and concrete in the grass, right meant a ditch and trees. There were witnesses from further up the road that stopped that were travelling towards me.

Of course I could have avoided it by not going out that day, not moving to Bristol or not being born. But sometimes things happen and it is life and death and you have the choice of fight or flight.

This is the maths from a really good friend
Quote:
S=distance / time - rearrange to get time - time = distance / speed

Closing speed of car and bike head on = 50mph motorcycle + approx 30 to 40mph of oncoming car = 80 - 90mph approximately

Convert to miles per second for comparison

90mph/3600 = 0.025
80mph/3600 = 0.022

5280ft per mile - in decimal approximate distance to react in = (15/5280) = 0.003 to 3 decimal places

Substitute the numbers

Maximum reaction Time = 0.003 ÷ 0.022 = 0.13 seconds

Minimum reaction time = 0.003 ÷ 0.025 = 0.12 Seconds

Average human reaction time - 0.25 seconds for a visual stimulus

Think you still could have dodged it; let me know I'm interested (bring out the bodyguards) Question

(Any problem with the maths let me know. Thumbs Up

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:10 - 03 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

One might argue that if you're travelling past a junction and you don't have enough reaction time, you're travelling too fast.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:13 - 03 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

All? Fite me. Mad

Looking at the junction, I'm OK with accepting that in this case, the stuck clock is showing the right time.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:14 - 03 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:
Full on brakes could of meant locking them and hitting the car side on as this would have been on the corner.

I'll be honest that's a little disturbing. On a bike you're familiar with, you should be able to use all of your brakes without locking up, particularly in the dry.

Not blaming you

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:16 - 03 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
One might argue that if you're travelling past a junction and you don't have enough reaction time, you're travelling too fast.

By that token, you should go through every junction at 5 mph, just in case some fuckwit decides to pull out in front of you

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:26 - 03 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

To marjay if you did that you wouldn't ever pass a junction at more than 5mph. You have to ride to the best of your ability and assess your current situation in an instance.

M.C wrote:
TheSmiler wrote:
Full on brakes could of meant locking them and hitting the car side on as this would have been on the corner.

I'll be honest that's a little disturbing. On a bike you're familiar with, you should be able to use all of your brakes without locking up, particularly in the dry.

Not blaming you

Not at the distance I was given, even the strongest brakes wouldn't have managed to stop. By the time I've reacted I would be hitting the car side on whilst braking. This is on a corner I have to go to his right the gap opening up. This means using the front brake going around the corner. I'd like to know anyone that doesn't lock there brakes up on this.

From my friend he has edited the maths.

Quote:
Closing speed of 25mph bike and 30mph/40mph car = 55mph or 65mph

55mph = 0.015mps
65mph = 0.018mps

Putting them into the equasion

Max reaction time @25mph
= 0.003÷ 0.015 = 0.2 seconds

Minimum reaction time @25mph
=0.003 ÷ 0.018 = 0.16 seconds

So even if you half your speed I still cannot react fast enough in the distance it happened. It's lucky I managed to do what I did. But as I've got no video evidence here then obviously most people will turn into bodyguard.

The999Kid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:26 - 03 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok - I'll cough to it - I'm the mathematician that proved he can't react fast enough...

Here's so more for you - even if smiler HALVES his speed

He still can't react fast enough...

GCSE physics wrote:
Closing speed of 25mph bike and 30mph/40mph car = 55mph or 65mph

55mph = 0.015 miles per second
65mph = 0.018miles per second

Plug them in

Max reaction time @25mph
= 0.003÷ 0.015 = 0.2 seconds

Minimum reaction time @25mph
=0.003 ÷ 0.018 = 0.16 seconds

So even if you half your speed - still cannot react fast enough

NDB 19/10/1989 - 1/11/2010 |Nowhere.Elyseum wrote: I get the distinct feeling that Tim should be our secret weapon for future trolling. I don't know many people that can rip the piss in Iambic pentameter

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:48 - 03 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a difference to 'at fault' and 'avoidable'.

Would most of us, myself included have ended up the same - quite likely.

would some people have avoided it - bet they would.

I don't know if he did, but one thing that anecdotally does help is having extra lights on the bike so it doesn't get lost in a sea of headlights and is noticeable as 'something different'.

The vast, majority of accidents are also avoidable by the not-"at fault" rider still, I'd say.

It's not so much about reacting to a situation, but having worked out a plan to a potential situation before hand and mitigating as best as is possible.

SophR so good
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:50 - 03 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why have you decided the car was doing 30-40mph? If they were turning they'd have been almost at a standstill.

Personally my commute has a couple of sideroads around blind corners on a 50mph road. I slow down until I can make sure there's nobody pulling out or turning in because of there is I can't react in time. And there often is. For the sake of the 3 secs I lose per side road on a bend, it's worth it.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:06 - 03 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

SophR so good wrote:
Why have you decided the car was doing 30-40mph? If they were turning they'd have been almost at a standstill.

Because this is the junction.

https://i.imgur.com/l0uqh8L.jpg

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:09 - 03 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
There's a difference to 'at fault' and 'avoidable'.

Would most of us, myself included have ended up the same - quite likely.

would some people have avoided it - bet they would.

I don't know if he did, but one thing that anecdotally does help is having extra lights on the bike so it doesn't get lost in a sea of headlights and is noticeable as 'something different'.

The vast, majority of accidents are also avoidable by the not-"at fault" rider still, I'd say.

It's not so much about reacting to a situation, but having worked out a plan to a potential situation before hand and mitigating as best as is possible.

G I'm all ears how these some people would have avoided it, you can tell me here or by other methods. I know for a fact facing that situation in a loop the outcome would be the same or worse every time. Maybe get away by it once out of luck.

SophR so good wrote:

Personally my commute has a couple of sideroads around blind corners on a 50mph road. I slow down until I can make sure there's nobody pulling out or turning in because of there is I can't react in time. And there often is. For the sake of the 3 secs I lose per side road on a bend, it's worth it.

The driver was straight lining he wasn't turning out of the junction he was going into it, he would of automatically dropped speed as anyone would. He came along the opposite way came slightly out to the lane and went straight across.

I have to best estimate his speed as I'm sorry I didn't have a speed gun at hand.

Distance is esitmated as well to my best guess It won't be exact as I didn't have a tape measure at the time.

So is where myself and the bike ended up. I was on the floor couldn't move so can't say exactly where.

https://i.imgur.com/Fsjbgxi.jpg

Last edited by TheSmiler on 22:13 - 03 Dec 2016; edited 1 time in total

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:11 - 03 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you observe there was oncoming traffic?
What about traffic on the left?
What else did you observe about this section of road prior to the impact?
What did you do to react to these observations?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:23 - 03 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Not at the distance I was given, even the strongest brakes wouldn't have managed to stop. By the time I've reacted I would be hitting the car side on whilst braking. This is on a corner I have to go to his right the gap opening up. This means using the front brake going around the corner. I'd like to know anyone that doesn't lock there brakes up on this.

Me, despite what they tell you on your CBT you can use your front brakes whilst cornering, without dying. It's not a case of stopping, it's a case of scrubbing off enough speed to get you out of the situation. I know that goes against the BCF consensus of always power out but it's what saves you.

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:29 - 03 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reactions don't save you from getting into trouble on a bike. More often, they put you in trouble.

Things that save you:

1) Forward planning - if there's a junction and you can see traffic there, slow down and/or make yourself more visible with positioning, and if you can't see if there's traffic pulling across it, expect there to be something there.
2) Eye contact with drivers at junctions that may potentially cross your path.
3) Looking at where vehicles' front wheels are pointed and whether they're in motion.
4) Expecting the driver to do the worst thing in any given situation - e.g. to make a rash/intoxicated/stupid/incompetent/blind/malicious maneuvre.
5) Having a contingency plan - a path ready to swerve into or being ready to emergency brake.

I suppose that recommending further training or Bikesafe is ludicrously preposterous and unfriendly.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:32 - 03 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tawny wrote:
2) Eye contact with drivers at junctions that may potentially cross your path.

Eye contact

Eye contact

https://i.imgur.com/cj96oNF.png

I mean, relative to the 80% which is spot on. 20% dead is still going to sting a bit though, no matter how much you assert that he totally made eye contact with you, he did, he did.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 06:39 - 04 Dec 2016    Post subject: Re: My xj is dead and I'm crippled. SMIDSY ALERT. pics page Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:
G I'm all ears how these some people would have avoided it, you can tell me here or by other methods.

Lets do it here.

People should go and have a look at Marsh Common Road. Its a classic rural single carriage road with fields to the south and a row of houses to the north. it is a 50mph road.
The Houses along the north side extend all the way to the junction with Station Road and each house has a drive. There are also houses with drives to the west immediately as you turn into Station Road and the speed drops to 30mph. There is visibility at the junction in excess of 40 metres.

There is safety play off on this road. If you are going fast you need to stay to the right of the road as the drives are all hedged therefore you can't see cars pulling out. If you stay to the right you reduce the viewable distance of oncoming cars and the junction with station road. The way around this catch 22 is to slow down.

I would estimate from looking at marsh common road that the absolute top speed while still remaining a degree of safety would be in the region of 40mph in the middle of the road approaching the junction due to the various above mentioned hazards. 30mph would be a better speed, you say you were doing

TheSmiler wrote:
I was going 50mph. The speed limit of the road,

As the road curves to the right road position is dictated by view so rider should move to left of lane to increase visibility. This also increases visibilty for oncoming vehicles. An experienced rider would also rolloff the throttle knowing that junctions are a major hazard especially when with the increased visibility the oncoming vehicle would be sighted earlier.

TheSmiler wrote:
I tried to avoid the car by going into the opening gap however as he did it so close to me I hit the part just behind the rear passenger door.

By the damage to the bike I would estimate you were doing in excess of 40mph when you hit the brakes, you bottomed out the front suspension losing steering control, rigid arms before you hit which is why the forks snapped and yes you were pulling to the right to try and go behind the car before you lost fine steering control.

TheSmiler wrote:
Basically to cut a long story short I was driving along a familiar road (one I've used thousands of times before).

Chances are so has the car driver and he never crashed either. To my mind you were both complacent.

TheSmiler wrote:
I know for a fact facing that situation in a loop the outcome would be the same or worse every time. Maybe get away by it once out of luck.

Thats because you cannot see how you could be to blame, either arrogance or inexperience.

You may not legally be in the wrong but legally right people die every day. This is about not having accidents.
You were going too fast, you may not have been speeding but you were still going too fast. If someone had pulled out from a drive you could have come off not just at the junction where you did come off. You were driving through various hazards and you still drove at the limit, then the unexpected happened and you had no room left to you.

Rogerborg wrote:
On a bigger bike, I'd be more inclined to roll off out of caution, knowing that I could then get back up to speed easily

Just requoting this. You might do this, I would do this, Smiler didn't do this. He didn't recognise any of the roads hazards and continued driving at the speed limit.

TheSmiler wrote:
Don't know if you are trying to be cocky or what;

No not trying to be cocky, just being right. Just because someone tells you that you are in the wrong by some degree or another doesn't make them cocky.

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:15 - 04 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

thing is smiley... it could have been avoided...
its a junction.. we dont ride past junctions like were about to meet our lass Jenifer down the park to get stinky fingers and a blowjob...

a few weeks back.. at like.. 3:30am i was riding through my town on the way home shattered... on a long straight piece of road... wide as fuck can get a bus and 2 cars down it, i was doing not far off 70 Police

came to the junction on the left when some guy came up to it and straight out.. my first thought was.. fuck.. game over for me, luckily he saw me and slammed the brakes on instead of trying to get out the way so i managed to get right into the opposite lane and almost smash into a curb.

the guy pulled up i turned round and he was shaken up so bad, his partner in the car was in tears....
we shook hands and he apologized hugely as he said he was tired and had just finished work, i said it was my fault too i was speeding...

that day could have killed me so easily, 70 into the side of a big ford focus isnt gonna end well.

i never go past that junction or any others at speed anymore without paying massive attention unless i have full view of anything coming up to the junction.

you need to assess your riding and see if it is really for you, there has been multiple motorcyclist deaths where i live in the past 7 days, quite a large number for a small area, dont be a fucking statistic!

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:18 - 04 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://s17.postimg.org/6z3lxn3tr/IMG_5094.png

Chevron to me means reduce speed, sometimes road signs give us more information than we realise, it's not just telling you which way the road is going, it's a warning sign...

Also like has been said already, if you knew the road, you should have slowed down on the approach anyway, knowing that cars could turn right across you.

It's also easy for us to sit here and say we would have done things differently, but we all have moments of complacency, but part of being a better rider is fighting it.

Anyway, hope you get better soon.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:39 - 04 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the aerial view of that junction and the type of car involved. I'd surmise that the driver looked and was looking all the way on the approach to the junction. He probably didn't see because the approaching bike was dynamically obscured by the cars oh so safe A-pillar all the way in.

I had a rental VW golf van last year which had a similar setup and nearly took out two bikes on the curved roads approaching roundabouts until I learned you need to actively look round the A pillar. The little quarterlight thing is useless.

https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/apillar.png

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:57 - 04 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH I kind of wonder if in such situations using your horn would be appropriate.
Quote:

Use only while your vehicle is moving and you need to warn other road users of your presence

Problem is some people may well mis-interpret your horn and think you're being a dick...

Better be mis-interpretted as a dick than being hurt I suppose.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:59 - 04 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
obscured by the cars oh so safe A-pillar all the way in.

The car was turning into, not out of that road I believe.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:05 - 04 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

50mph at a junction, coming up to a bend tight enough to warrant a chevron sign, is too fast. My guess is that you thought you'd got past the houses, fields on either side thereafter, country lane, time to open it up. But you should have waited, and actually slowed until past the junction before doing so. So I think you do need to accept some portion of the blame. That's how it looks to me from what information we have here. We get used to whingeing about how speed limits are too low on certain roads. But also, there are times when they might be too high. We have to able to judge when and where those times are. That's just a part of everyday road use.
It looks like, the car having come around that chevron-marked bend would have had less time to spot you than if it were a straight road, and you him. This doesn't absolve him of blame, but it's a lesson to be learned, and all the more reason for less speed on approach to that bit of road, and something you should have been aware of if the road is familiar to you.
There are times when I might have made the same mistake, probably still do now and again. Hopefully, after the emotion of the event had settled, I would have seen that my speed was what I could, and should, have changed to avoid this accident.

I could actually see how this might even get something like 50/50 from an insurance settlement point of view, although being in this situation, I think I would argue that the car driver should have taken more care before committing to his turn due to the road layout.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 144 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8