BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Low compression two stroke

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:08 - 21 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

My (bodgers) course of action would be as follows.

Remove piston from con rod.

Measure piston clearance, if OK (in spec) rub off any high spots on the piston with wt and dry

Buy new rings and gap them correctly

Fit new rings and button it up

Run carefully for a couple of hundred miles before I tries to wring the neck of the blighter.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:23 - 21 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

blurredman wrote:
MCN wrote:
It looks like the piston overheated, grew to big for the bore and seized.

Wouldn't you normally get scores indicitive of a 'square' seizure in that case?

It looks to me that the the inlet tract, anywhere from the air filter had crap in it maybe.

Quite probably yes.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:09 - 21 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Measure piston clearance, if OK (in spec) rub off any high spots on the piston with wt and dry
Run carefully for a couple of hundred miles before I tries to wring the neck of the blighter.

+1 here.
The condition of your cylinder kit is likely the result of ham-fisted throttle control during break in. Two stroke engines run much hotter cylinder temperatures than four strokes, and it is generally advisable to intersperse cool-down periods between intervals of full throttle operation during break in.

The piston comes to a dead-stop at TDC and BDC. Under prolonged full load operation, the rings can get so hot that at TDC during the momentary stop between compression and power, the rings momentarily weld to the cylinder wall. Flywheel momentum breaks the weld, and the resulting damage scores the piston and cylinder wall releasing more debris to accelerate the damage. The piston does not need to "seize" in the bore for the damage to occur.

The scored piston rings clearly indicate that this has happened.

Personally, I think that A100man is dead on. Clean up the piston with 240 grit wet-dry sandpaper, fit new rings, and run in at 25:1 petrol-oil ratio. Use the best quality two stroke oil you can find. Oil formulated for chainsaws and outboard motors may not stand up to the rigors of your CZ175 at full load.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:12 - 21 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
This bit looks very much like something was trapped between piston and barrel.

actually looking again at this (and Nobby's highlighted section..)
the carbon swirls on teh piston look like gasses have been trying to pass some stuck debris..

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:47 - 21 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I remember there was an issue just after you built this engine too with an exhaust leak, shitty fuel in the tank and a leak at the inlet manifold where it was popping, backfiring and stuttering after a cold start.

Bet that's when this happened.

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:27 - 21 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone has been over today to work on it. The points plate had slipped retarding the ignition by about 1mm out. He is adamant the bore and piston are OK enough to run. The carb is blocking again as after a dozen kicks the plug is bone dry. I've already cleaned it several times since the weekend including an ultrasonic cleaner. I'll try an auxiliary tank and new fuel tomorrow.

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:29 - 21 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
As I remember there was an issue just after you built this engine too with an exhaust leak, shitty fuel in the tank and a leak at the inlet manifold where it was popping, backfiring and stuttering after a cold start.

Bet that's when this happened.

It's done the majority of the miles since then. The carb has been a constant source of problems since it was fitted - only this week have I managed to find another on the way.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:30 - 21 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

PotatoHead2020 wrote:
He is adamant the bore and piston are OK enough to run.

Does he have a regular spot at the local comedy club?

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:30 - 21 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
80 miles since full rebuild...

If you fix it again you would have a working CZ175. Well isn't that great.

Just scrap it, or hold for a few years until its value skyrockets. The market is bad at the moment so it's a holder or a scrapper.

If now isn't the time to call it a day, then when is? Maybe it's got another 80 or even 800 good miles left in it before something else goes wrong.

It's just like those gambling ads. When the fun stops, stop.

Why bother commenting if you're going to be a James Hunt?

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:39 - 21 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
A100man wrote:

+1 here.
The condition of your cylinder kit is likely the result of ham-fisted throttle control during break in. Two stroke engines run much hotter cylinder temperatures than four strokes, and it is generally advisable to intersperse cool-down periods between intervals of full throttle operation during break in.

The piston comes to a dead-stop at TDC and BDC. Under prolonged full load operation, the rings can get so hot that at TDC during the momentary stop between compression and power, the rings momentarily weld to the cylinder wall. Flywheel momentum breaks the weld, and the resulting damage scores the piston and cylinder wall releasing more debris to accelerate the damage. The piston does not need to "seize" in the bore for the damage to occur.

The scored piston rings clearly indicate that this has happened.

Personally, I think that A100man is dead on. Clean up the piston with 240 grit wet-dry sandpaper, fit new rings, and run in at 25:1 petrol-oil ratio. Use the best quality two stroke oil you can find. Oil formulated for chainsaws and outboard motors may not stand up to the rigors of your CZ175 at full load.

Last time I ran one in was 15 years ago on an RS125 without any issue. Could this be a result of timing slipping and poor running in? Yet I'm also getting mixed messages with many saying 33:1.....

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:48 - 21 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it's a 2 stroke, the timing being out would either limit revs from normal (retarded) or make it incredibly difficult to start (advanced.)

It's unlikely to cause seizure.

It's clearly seized.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:08 - 21 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it has low compression, it's not going to suck fuel in properly, or transfer that fuel into the combustion chamber. If it wont blow your thumb off the sparkplug hole, it wont suck petrol in.

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:05 - 21 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
If it has low compression, it's not going to suck fuel in properly, or transfer that fuel into the combustion chamber. If it wont blow your thumb off the sparkplug hole, it wont suck petrol in.

I will look into sourcing new rings. Tried that, it will blow your thumb off.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 14:37 - 22 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, it's another thread where the full story gets drip-fed.

If you ask for help diagnosing a thing, people are going to concentrate on the thing and assume that everything else works. In this case, I would assume that the fuelling and timing is OK, so the problem has come from the rebuild.

From your new information, the only thing to say for sure is that your engine got hot. It could be a problem inside the carb, it could be an air leak, it could be parts that don't fit, it could be timing going all over the place.

Also, 25:1 sounds like too much oil to me. Best to look around some model specific forums to find out what people are using with modern oil. Too much 2-stroke oil means less petrol, which can lean it off a touch. Not enough to cause the damage here, but simply adding more oil for peace of mind is not a great tactic.

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:10 - 22 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
oh, it's another thread where the full story gets drip-fed.

If you ask for help diagnosing a thing, people are going to concentrate on the thing and assume that everything else works. In this case, I would assume that the fuelling and timing is OK, so the problem has come from the rebuild.

From your new information, the only thing to say for sure is that your engine got hot. It could be a problem inside the carb, it could be an air leak, it could be parts that don't fit, it could be timing going all over the place.

Also, 25:1 sounds like too much oil to me. Best to look around some model specific forums to find out what people are using with modern oil. Too much 2-stroke oil means less petrol, which can lean it off a touch. Not enough to cause the damage here, but simply adding more oil for peace of mind is not a great tactic.

Fuck me, I found this out yesterday so updated the thread yesterday - what do you want me to do?

No wonder this forum is as dead as the bike currently is.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:46 - 22 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd probably go for a higher oil to petrol ratio breaking in a new piston/barrel like wot this was.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:22 - 22 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not trying to be a dick; just trying to be helpful.

I've got a similar problem at the moment, except with a 4-stroke engine.

If you've got a way out, take it, is all I'm saying. It's just a bike and you've got to rationalise it. I worked out the costs of repairing it versus what I could get for it on the market in its blown state, before deciding to take the plunge and dive into it. This reduced my sense of frustration and annoyance.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:28 - 22 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
You'd probably go for a higher oil to petrol ratio breaking in a new piston/barrel like wot this was.

Not a good idea, Robby makes a fair point that to much oil will lean out the fuel/air mixture an lead to hotter running. Just stick to manufacturers guide

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 08:18 - 23 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it not have an oil measure cup in the fuel cap with the ratios stamped on?

As above, I think the piston is saveable, the rings seem shot. Bore probably just needs a hone.

Although what it almost certainly actually needs is the barrel and piston taking to someone who does rebores and the bore checking to make sure it's a) Round. b) Paralell and c) The correct diameter all the way along. Prior experience tells me it could be oval and/or tapered and/or the wrong diameter.

You can kind of do a lot of this with feeler guages and measuring ring end gaps at different points but it's much better done with a bore-guage.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 08:21 - 23 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

Not a good idea, Robby makes a fair point that to much oil will lean out the fuel/air mixture an lead to hotter running. Just stick to manufacturers guide

Running a lower fuel:oil ratio is standard practice on Eastern European 2-strokes when running them in. Usually tells you to do this in the manual. The Minsk I'm going to be building soon specifies 20:1 for the running in period!

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:06 - 06 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it got hot and damn near seized to me, which I'm VERY familiar with having destroyed a few MZ engines in exotic manner.

Also I have always found that everybody including the manufacturers make the pistons too tight in two strokes. I used to hone the buggery out of my barrels before putting new rings on. Even a lot of engineers who should know better bore the barrels of two strokes to the "right" tolerance for a four stroke piston and that's too tight in my opinion.

I've successfully used a lot worse barrels than in that picture. I'd just give it a damn good hone and pop in another piston and rings of the same size as before. Two stroke isn't rocket science but it is quirky.

All kinds of shit can make a two stroke run hot but main seals are often overlooked as the culprit because they're hidden away and you just don't think about them because it SEEMS like a carb issue, so you spend all your time tearing your hair out rebuilding and replacing carbs that were perfectly fine in the first place.

On the two strokes I've had, if you think it's the carb playing up, it isn't. It's one of the main seals sucking air. When the seals begin to do that a lot of people think it's the carb and end up faffing about with jets and all sorts of bodges that DO seem to work temporarily and reinforce the belief that it was a carb problem, but eventually the bike just won't start at all and they can't figure out why. The carb is rebuilt, there's good spark, everything looks fine but it just won't start and all your mates swear it still seems like a carb problem. No. It's the seals. It's ALWAYS the bloody damn seals! Bastards. I hate them. They make your life miserable.

Seals can also cause the compression to do stupid things.

Also, if you have an automatic oiler you should check that it's actually oiling. I hated the things. They were just another link in the chain of shit that will probably go wrong. I always did away with mine and put the lube in the petrol tank.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:40 - 06 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

lingeringstink wrote:
Also, if you have an automatic oiler you should check that it's actually oiling. I hated the things. They were just another link in the chain of shit that will probably go wrong. I always did away with mine and put the lube in the petrol tank.

For specific tasks, yes. e.g. I'm gonna do some low speed technical work in the woods. AFAIK the plus side of 2 stroke oil pumps is upping the oil feed based both on RPM and throttle position whereas premix you can only vary the absolute amount of oil entering the cylinder by throttle alone.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:45 - 06 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
lingeringstink wrote:

For specific tasks, yes. e.g. I'm gonna do some low speed technical work in the woods. AFAIK the plus side of 2 stroke oil pumps is upping the oil feed based both on RPM and throttle position whereas premix you can only vary the absolute amount of oil entering the cylinder by throttle alone.

But Jawa/CZ ones are utter shit. They deliver a random amount of oil which varies from bike to bike. Some of them were putting out as little as 70:1 from the factory.

On the plus side, I think you can change the bearing seals from the outside by removing a huge fuck-off circlip and dragging it out with a couple of self-tappers.

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:13 - 13 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave up with this over summer due to other things getting in the way and sent it to a mechanic to look at - after having 3 other people round to check it over in person.

His initial findings are that the piston and barrel (purchased as a set) didnt quite fit together properly and that the rings were of poor quality. That the bore had some tight spots which were catching the piston and causing it to stick slightly, resulting in it overheating and ruining the rings. He thinks the last 50/60 mile run I did on it on a hot day were what finally pushed it over the edge.

He is going to hone or rebore it (I can't remember what he said) to get rid of the tight spots, clean the piston up and fit new rings.

He also mentioned about how he used to have them as a kid back in Bulgaria and how they'd even run them on 4 stroke oil when nothing else was available.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2