BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Waterproof over clothing

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:49 - 09 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use flexothane at work and it's great, you can wash yourself down with a pressure washer or volume washer in it.

As above, it's stretchy and the lined stuff has a decent wicking effect. I also wouldn't use the lined stuff on the bike because it will also tend to wick water that gets in round the edges further in.

Another tip on the bike is putting some cheap gaiters on. A lot of the time when you get wet feet the water has run up the boot under your trousers then soaked down your socks. Gaiters stop this. I'm happy my boots are waterproof, I can wade into a stream in them, my trousers likewise. My feet stay dry on my VFR but get wet on my enfield. I put this down to the fact that my legs are facing backwards on the sprotsbike and are vertical on the enfield so water and particularly road spray can push up the outside of the boot. Gaiters are very effective in this situation.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:50 - 09 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

my Richa textile jacket is waterproof and keeps me dry but when the outer shell gets wet is gets heavy and takes forever to dry back out. So I don't bother, like I said earlier I just pull on a waterproof outer shell and outer trousers and then take them off when I get where I am going.

Really easy. Really cheap. Works well for me.

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:14 - 09 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best are apparently the Scott waterproofs, urban rider and motolegends sell them

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:39 - 09 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

just get a car for use in inclement weather. simples.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 04:14 - 10 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

Not so simple - my Astra is currently in the shop with ABS, TC lights and electric brake seized on Sad Rains it pours!

Happened after that storm we had but garage seem to want to treat the symptoms instead of addressing the cause - resulting in no success so far. Money drain!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:02 - 10 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

You shouldn't be posting that in a bike thread. Tut Tut

Laughing

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:29 - 10 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremyr62 wrote:
I have given up with expensive gear too. It simply doesn't work on long wet journeys. A drop liner textile cordura outfit (or leathers in summer) with a PVC oversuit works for me. The textile is OK for light rain and showers but when it's stair rods the PVC gear stops the textile becoming saturated.

That’s been my experience too. Super-cheap, almost ‘bin-liner’ outers used only in heavy rain. Remove asap or you’ll ’boil-in-the-bag when it stops, but they keep you totally dry and pack down to nothing, they dry fast and keep the dirt off.

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:15 - 11 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

In decades of riding, I've never found anything that kept me properly dry in really bad weather... the one single piece of riding equipment that came closest was this:

https://moto.zombdrive.com/images/bmw-c1-3.jpg

I'm convinced it's only vanity that stopped them catching on; for riding to work in all weathers it was great, you didn't need to worry about your laptop etc. getting piss wet through either, as it all went in that massive boot.

These days, if it rains I take the car.

JonE
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:42 - 09 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the slow reply it would appear I’d switched email notifications off.

Thanks for all the replies. 3 weeks into the new commute and I’ve been lucky with the weather so far and only got properly soaked once.

I dug out an old pair of Flexothane hi-viz over trousers which do for the bottom half and think I’ll give the Oxford over jacket a try.

Cheers

Jon

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:51 - 09 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I've always suffered from is wet tummy. For some reason the water works its way up my tummy from the waist. The jackets don't let water through the material, but gets in at the joints between pants and jacket at the front. Doesn't matter how much that they over lap either.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:57 - 10 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wet crotch for me. The seam goes on the "waterproof" trousers and it's sodden balls Sad
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2