Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Roll the dice on a KTM?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:07 - 29 Dec 2023    Post subject: Roll the dice on a KTM? Reply with quote

Good day all and happy new year. I just turned 70 years of age last week, and I'm looking for a motorcycle to ride for the next 15+ years (or until I keel over, whichever comes first Wink ). Recently sold my BMW R1150R, and now looking for something a little lighter that will be easier to maneuver around the garage. I have a YBR 125 in Morocco that is perfect for the riding environment over there, but here in California, I'll need something that is a little more motorway compliant.

I've had my eye on the new Triumph Speed 400 for awhile now, and the first shipments should arrive here in January. I'm also inclined toward the Honda CB300R, the Kawasaki Z400, or maybe the RE Classic 350 or Interceptor 650. Positive experience with the YBR has me leaning toward a single cylinder motor, though the Enfield 350 might be a little heavy (and slow) for my liking.

Recently, the KTM 390 Adventure has caught my eye, and I really find it to be an attractive bike in terms of performance, features, and economy. Might also consider a 390 Duke or the new 250 Duke as well. However, KTMs are known for unreliability, and the KTM forum does nothing to counter that reputation. There are 3 KTM dealers within 30 miles of my home; one is offering attractive discounts on the 390's.

My question for BCF: has anyone on this forum had a positive experience with KTM? What kind of durability is reasonable to expect from the 390 platform? I do all my own maintenance and would welcome any comment on the serviceability of these motorcycles. Thanks.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:33 - 29 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the days of KTM being unreliable junk is long gone. I've got a excf 350 and haven't really had it long enough to say about the reliability but the build quality is certainly better than anything I have owned before. My brother had a 690smcr for a few years though and it was reliable and a mate has a 1290 adventure that he's had no problems with. KTM's are very popular adventure touring bikes now and I dont think they could have done that if the reliability was still poor.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:01 - 29 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good so far with the Husky but then I've only put a few hundred miles on it.

It doesn't seem that the shift from Austria to India has done much with regards to reliability one way or the other. Reliable or not, there are shed-loads of 390-based bikes around the world (plus the 250, 125 variants) so at least you have plenty of company in misery Very Happy Seriously though it means spare parts and accessories are easier to get hold of.

The Triumph is nice to look at but it'll be heavier and slightly less powerful than the 390. You'll also have to wait a while for new bolt on bits to be designed.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:20 - 29 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good points. Not afraid of a bike made in India. I once owned a Bajaj clone of a Vespa scooter (4 speed hand shift) that I rode for 2 years and 10,000 miles without complaint. Oddly enough, both the KTM and the Speed 400 are manufactured by Bajaj India. Based on past experience, confident in quality of manufacture; but internet scuttlebutt gives me reason for concern regarding design flaws and quality of materials on the KTM, especially the 390 platform.

Regardless, probably will defer purchase until I can ride the Triumph. I do intend to visit the KTM dealer, maybe they can talk me into it.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:28 - 01 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad has a Svartpilen 701 on his driveway which blew up in rather dramatic fashion with less than 4000 miles on the clock and only just out of warrantee. New replacement engines are unavailable from Husqvarna/KTM and a professional rebuild is a good bit north of £1000. Used engines are out there but it feels a bit Russian Roulette given the last one went pop.

The bike is a pretty looking driveway ornament at this point.

It was not a particularly hard ridden bike so it's put both of us off of KTM products, which is a shame really as they make some nice bikes.

A good friend had a 390 Duke which had a load of problems too.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:23 - 01 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

theres also the new water cooled Enfield Himalayan to consider.

also check out the Honda CL500.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jeremyr62
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:47 - 01 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youtube comments give a mixed picture. I was interested in the 790/890 engined bikes but those engines can give top end trouble with camshaft wear. Hard to get a real feel for it but it doesn't seem to be just one or two examples. The number of comments and the lack of response from KTM put me off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:08 - 02 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
... but it feels a bit Russian Roulette given the last one went pop. The bike is a pretty looking driveway ornament at this point.

jeremyr62 wrote:
Hard to get a real feel for it but it doesn't seem to be just one or two examples. The number of comments and the lack of response from KTM put me off.

Thanks for the comments, guys; pretty much reinforces my fears regarding KTM.

I visited a dealer on Saturday to check out the 390 Adventure. For such a small displacement bike I found it too big. Length x height x width the physical dimensions looked and felt bigger than the R1150R it would be replacing.

They had some other bikes, and I really took a liking to the BMW G310R. That motorcycle is much more attractive than shows in photographs. It fits me well, and has multiple tie points for a cargo net or tail bag. They have 6 low mileage motorcycles in stock (ex training bikes) offered at significant discount. The G310R won't win any awards for design features or outright performance, but looks like it could adequately satisfy my need. I intend to look into this a little further.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53437450280_49128c0f70.jpg

Last edited by jeffyjeff on 19:22 - 02 Jan 2024; edited 1 time in total

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:22 - 02 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a good look over of a new Duke 390 at a dealer's before getting a Husky and I'd have to say the fit and finish was surprisingly poor for what is essentially the same bike. I can only assume the marques have separate QC teams Thinking

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:28 - 04 Jan 2024    Post subject: KTM Reply with quote

Had 2 790s and an 890, north of 25k miles on the 3 of them with no engine worries.

As for a g310, you really need to ride one first. If I was looking at those bikes, I'd stop at the cb500x.

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:01 - 05 Jan 2024    Post subject: Re: Roll the dice on a KTM? Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
now looking for something a little lighter that will be easier to maneuver around the garage. I have a YBR 125 in Morocco that is perfect for the riding environment over there, but here in California, I'll need something that is a little more motorway compliant.

I've had my eye on the new Triumph Speed 400 for awhile now, and the first shipments should arrive here in January. I'm also inclined toward the Honda CB300R, the Kawasaki Z400, or maybe the RE Classic 350 or Interceptor 650.

You need to ride them all first.

Triumph Speed 400 is 170kg for 40hp
BMW G310R 164kg 34hp
Honda CB300R is 146kg 31hp
Kawasaki 167kg 45hp
Aprilia RS457 is 159kg 47hp
Yamaha MT03 167kg 41 hp

https://www.aprilia.com/en_EN/landing-page/new-rs/

Obviously Aprilia is the best one Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:16 - 05 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Husky 150kg 45hp Wink

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:09 - 10 Jan 2024    Post subject: Re: Roll the dice on a KTM? Reply with quote

Val wrote:
You need to ride them all first.
Obviously Aprilia is the best one Laughing

Well, I pulled the trigger on the BMW G310R; the offer was, for me, too good to pass up. The bike comes in last on Val's list in terms of power to weight, but I'm happy. The 310 excels at everything I disliked about my R1150R; it is light, maneuverable, flickable, with a buttery smooth transmission and a free revving engine. I'm having a hard time keeping the 7000-rpm target during break-in. The bike is a wannabe hooligan that begs to be ridden aggressively. No doubt the Z400 or Aprilia outperform the 310 in the hooligan dept, but I'll ride the BMW as long as it keeps a smile on my face.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53454769748_4c3077ba46_c.jpg

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:29 - 10 Jan 2024    Post subject: Re: Roll the dice on a KTM? Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:

Well, I pulled the trigger on the BMW G310R; the offer was, for me, too good to pass up. The bike comes in last on Val's list in terms of power to weight, but I'm happy. The 310 excels at everything I disliked about my R1150R; it is light, maneuverable, flickable, with a buttery smooth transmission and a free revving engine. I'm having a hard time keeping the 7000-rpm target during break-in. The bike is a wannabe hooligan that begs to be ridden aggressively. No doubt the Z400 or Aprilia outperform the 310 in the hooligan dept, but I'll ride the BMW as long as it keeps a smile on my face.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53454769748_4c3077ba46_c.jpg

If you are going to build a totally red and white bike, why put a black bellypan on it? Nit picking I know but to me it stands out like a sore thumb.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1