Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

22 WR450F just picked up - milky oil, leaking blue liquid

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

fasterski
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:32 - 04 Feb 2024    Post subject: 22 WR450F just picked up - milky oil, leaking blue liquid Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

Just picked up a brand new (it was still in the crate last Wednesday I'm told ) . Old stock i guess.

Got it home earlier in a week. Started this weekend, wanted to take it for a quick spin as it is still winter in Toronto. Sunny day around 32 F.

Bike is warming up. Header glowing orange which is normal for this bike i 'm told . I can see and smell the factory oils from the exhaust / headers burning off. Ready to go with all the gear up as I'm about to hop on it I see a blue coolant pooled on the floor under the bike. I see blue liquid dripping of the rock guard under the bike. WTF? I shut the bike off, level it up trying to see where it is leaking from. Then I look at the oil window. It is milky , light brown.

Has anyone heard of this happening on a new bike ???

I'm calling the dealer tomorrow. Bike is already on the trailer ready to be sent out.

Just wondering if with issue like this should I be asking for another bike ??

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 00:10 - 05 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly one to go back to the dealer.

Best case, the emulsion in the oil is from condensation and the coolant leak is from the expansion bottle being overfilled. However both together and I expect the water pump gasket has failed, and it's leaking coolant out of the bike and into the sump.

First start is about the worst possible time to have water in the oil too.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:22 - 05 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be that surprised if some coolant leaked out as it got to temperature and expanded a bit.

I'm not sure you could get emulsified oil on first run either even if there was (say) head gasket leak.

If it was mine I'd not panic and see what happened on subsequent start ups most likely but might run symptoms by dealer.
Leaving it stationary to get to temp is not 'normal' use and not good for any bike IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

fasterski
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:32 - 08 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the diagnostic from the dealer was that
A) oil was not clean due to engine running , once it settles it goes back to amber
b) the oil in the engine was 2 years / old / special break in oil so it was a bit hazy (not perfectly clear )
c| coolant on the floor was due to engine idling for too long getting hot. Overflowing from the reservoir.

All in all they changed the oil. I ran it and observed the oil getting cloudy after shutting it off. Then in about 1 hour it settles and looks clean after the change.

They filed the service report with the comments with Yamaha in case something happens.

Never had this happen with my other bikes, but I have never owned MX type bike so it was a bit novelty to me.

Just posting in case someone comes across it or calls BS... Smile

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:45 - 08 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

fasterski wrote:
A) oil was not clean due to engine running , once it settles it goes back to amber
b) the oil in the engine was 2 years / old / special break in oil so it was a bit hazy (not perfectly clear )
c| coolant on the floor was due to engine idling for too long getting hot. Overflowing from the reservoir.

All in all they changed the oil. I ran it and observed the oil getting cloudy after shutting it off. Then in about 1 hour it settles and looks clean after the change.

They filed the service report with the comments with Yamaha in case something happens.

Never had this happen with my other bikes, but I have never owned MX type bike so it was a bit novelty to me.

If thet was mine I wouldn't be happy. The bit highlighted in bold suggests to me there is some other fluid in the oil and it's settling out.

If it was me I'd probably drain the oil out into some clear container and see if there is any separation of fluids after a time.

It might well be fine but I can't see a reason new oil would go cloudy then clear and as an engineer that doesn't sit well with me.

fasterski
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 01:38 - 09 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

They did drain the oil. Checked it for any water. They did say they know how oil looks mixed with water from all the ATV folks coming in for service.

After the change the oil looks perfect before start and 1 hour after engine is shut off. (that's how long it took me to drive it home. ) Have not tried it since. Waiting for the weather to warm up.

Trust me it is not sitting well with me as well.

Polarbear wrote:
fasterski wrote:

If thet was mine I wouldn't be happy. The bit highlighted in bold suggests to me there is some other fluid in the oil and it's settling out.

If it was me I'd probably drain the oil out into some clear container and see if there is any separation of fluids after a time.

It might well be fine but I can't see a reason new oil would go cloudy then clear and as an engineer that doesn't sit well with me.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:59 - 09 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

fasterski wrote:
They did drain the oil. Checked it for any water. They did say they know how oil looks mixed with water from all the ATV folks coming in for service.

After the change the oil looks perfect before start and 1 hour after engine is shut off. (that's how long it took me to drive it home. ) Have not tried it since. Waiting for the weather to warm up.

Trust me it is not sitting well with me as well.

Polarbear wrote:
fasterski wrote:

Are you sure the oil isn't just a bit 'frothy' with after running -that would chang the appearsnce and then settle out. As suggested draining the oil into transpaernet vessel to observe any separation will be best bet.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1