Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Negative ground digital speedo on Positive ground loom

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:42 - 02 Feb 2024    Post subject: Negative ground digital speedo on Positive ground loom Reply with quote

It's Friday. Brain has given up. Insufficient beer supplied Neutral

Working on an early '70s Triumph with a positive ground loom and attempting to add a Koso digital speedo (custom wheel hubs, no mechanical speedo drives present.)

The instructions call for permanent +12V, switched +12V and ground i.e. very conventional. With this Triumph the frame is +12V from the battery with permanent power (via the loom) going to the 0V of the battery and so switched power is also 0V.

So either some sort of circuit rearrangement required or - the extreme option - changing to a negative ground loom. Note the Koso speedo is in an isolated case so "metal touching metal" not an issue and the Boyer Bransden ignition is happy with either negative or positive ground systems.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:12 - 02 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

So permanant +12v to the frame. A SPNO relay controlling the switched +12v, earth wired to a permanant "live" wire on the bike.

Relay is just a switch, it'll switch anything. I have relay controlled AC lighting on my trials bike (DC from the switch to trigger the relay).

EDIT: Re-upped diagram due to brain fart.
https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=106645

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:01 - 02 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd convert it to neg ground
It's pretty straightforward with less chance of confusion.
Having a conventional system would also give you the
ability to easily add or modify gadgets and stuff later if wanted/needed.

fuck the 'classic innit mate' shite, i wouldn't cling to pos ground
any more then I'd stick with points ignition, AC and incandescent blubs

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:52 - 02 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

He could run gadgets using his switched +ve relay above.

Good quality LED bulbs aren't polarity sensitive any more.

There may be reasons for using AC lighting. In my case 1) It works really well and 2) The DC only runs the ignition (and a relay) on that particular bike meaning I get away with an outrageously tiny battery

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:58 - 02 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking on it I was going for a semi-concealed, minimalist LED tail light. As it's two-stage I'd face a similar problem so that's 2 relays now Sad

If I go with negative ground I could either swap the red & brown over, maybe add a bit of black heatshrink the "new" ground, or burn money getting a later model loom.

I'll give the bike a long hard stare tomorrow.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:02 - 03 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Thinking on it I was going for a semi-concealed, minimalist LED tail light. As it's two-stage I'd face a similar problem so that's 2 relays now Sad

If I go with negative ground I could either swap the red & brown over, maybe add a bit of black heatshrink the "new" ground, or burn money getting a later model loom.

I'll give the bike a long hard stare tomorrow.

You get positive earth LED stop and tail lights. Unless it's AC/DC?

For example:
https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/products/2-x-bay15d-red-stop-tail-led-4014-30-smd-brake-rear-light-glb380-p21-5w-classic-car-negative-or-positive-earth

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:36 - 03 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I converted the moby from AC shite lights and points ignition
to run with no battery and leds that actually gave out light nae bother
I assume we're talking '71 T120 or similar?
well I just browsed a couple of contemporay diagrams and
it's not much more complicated and in some ways even easier

Yes there are work arounds/get you home methods
but they're short term IMO
I reckon having a mixture of grounds is a bad practise when you can have a regular conformal system ready to use easily available,
off the shelf stuff that can easily be swapped out, modded and upgraded
It also sticks to the K.I.S.S. rule.

I rode these old bikes when they were commonplace, they had crap electrics even then so I'd have no hesitation in upgrading them
if I was forced to own one.
but it's your shitty old bike, do what you want

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:37 - 03 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
I assume we're talking '71 T120 or similar?
...but it's your shitty old bike, do what you want

Early 70's is about the most we can assume. FYI it's a project from a friend of a friend.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:16 - 04 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

For now I'm just swapping the battery terminals over on the loom. Red = 0V, Blue/Brown = +12V, White = +12V switched (using a Lucas loom.)

I disconnected everything and wired up just the brake light and that worked out fine. Now I'm working through the wiring diagram and thinking through the implications. Mainly just redoing the ignition system.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:41 - 04 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sort of charging system does it have? It would be positive ground and so some sort of swapping of wires may need to be done there too.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:26 - 04 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
What sort of charging system does it have? It would be positive ground and so some sort of swapping of wires may need to be done there too.

Thankfully not a problem. The ignition system is the aftermarket Boyer Bransden Mk4 and it's paired with their "power box" (the stator's already been swapped for a single phase sort that the power box needs.) And B.B. have wiring diagrams for both positive and negative ground systems.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:34 - 10 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back end re-done as negative ground, just need some cable ties:

https://i.imgur.com/EAS0LaP.jpeg

Kicked it over and getting spark.

Following the minimalist aesthetic, stripped the front loom to the essentials:

https://i.imgur.com/bS5BZFB.jpeg

To do: wire up a hi/lo beam switch, horn button, speedo and ignition.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1