Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2005 CB600F Hornet - Suspension Swap

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

troyedige
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:01 - 14 Feb 2024    Post subject: 2005 CB600F Hornet - Suspension Swap Reply with quote

Hello. This is my first bike and I am fairly new to bike parts and maintenance, so please excuse my potential ignorance.

I would like to replace the front suspension on this bike with a USD fork from one of the newer CB600 models (2007 on). For purely cosmetic reasons...

How straightforward would this swap be? I'm assuming I will need to find a yoke that is compatible with the new forks as well?

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:20 - 14 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expect nothing to be transferable to be on the safe side. In my admittedly limited experience, its never as easy as the bloke down the pub makes out, although since you're going Honda Hornet - Honda Hornet you're in a better starting postion.

First check if whether the headstock height and bearing sizes are the same between themodels - If yes you then need to find a complete
'front-end' Forks, yokes, mudguard, brakes and possbly wheel. If no you're into custom yoke stems etc..

TBH you're far better off just trading the bike in for a newer one with the desired look.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Last edited by A100man on 11:11 - 16 Feb 2024; edited 1 time in total

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:25 - 14 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bit of a waste because it already has excellent suspension and brakes. You risk downgrading your bike to poorer suspension. If it was me, I'd be fitting a set of linear springs appropriate to your weight and riding style, setting the sag and riding it.

In answer to the question, you are looking at a full front-end transplant and need to hope the length and diameter of the stem are a close fit.

troyedige
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:01 - 14 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate both responses.

Quote:
You risk downgrading your bike to poorer suspension.

@stinkwheel, why do you say this? Are you of the opinion that inverted forks are inherently inferior to telescopic?

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 16:12 - 14 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

troyedige wrote:
@stinkwheel, why do you say this? Are you of the opinion that inverted forks are inherently inferior to telescopic?

Because it is unlikely the spring rate, compression and rebound damping will be correct so then you end up paying for it to be sorted.

troyedige
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:21 - 14 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
troyedige wrote:

Because it is unlikely the spring rate, compression and rebound damping will be correct so then you end up paying for it to be sorted.

Even though the receiving bike is virtually identical to the donor? Same weight, geometry etc... Again, please excuse my ignorance.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:56 - 14 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

You like the USD forks - feels more "modern" regardless of actual performance - I get that.

Run by me again why it isn't simpler and safer to sell the older model in exchange for the newer one? "It's a load of hassle!" and swapping a front end isn't? I've partially swapped the front-end of my Husky with a manufacturer supplied kit and it definitely goes in the category of "non-trivial work."

Factoring in time = money I can't see how you'd save much doing the swap. Front-end assemblies from previously written off bikes rarely go for a song in my experience.

If it were some classic bike you wanted to resto-mod I'd be more understanding but with all due respect the bike is in the land-fill category of age at the moment.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:07 - 14 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

troyedige wrote:

Because a 2005 Hornet has very good suspension. It's doesn't have the adjustment of the CBR ones but it's very effective cartridge suspension and they are known to be very well handling bikes. I can't see what you are proposing being perceptibly better. Pretty sure the brakes are the same nissin 4-pots.

In my book, it would be at best a lot of money and work for a sideways step. USD forks "fix" problems it doesn't have and possibly come with their own issues like seal longevity, ease of servicing and lower bracket corrosion.

If I wanted to upgrade, I'd look at fitting early alloy frame CBR600F forks and again, springing them appropriately. They are excellent, as far as i am aware, basically the same forks but multi-adjustable for damping and preload. I suspect these would bolt right in but that would need a little research to confirm.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 00:04 - 15 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought the Mk2 came out in 2007 with the USD front end and that picture isn't a Mk2. Rear shocks are different so front will likely be sprung different.

May well be wrong, not much interested in modern bikes.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 00:17 - 15 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a little look around and it looks like the 2005-2006 Hornet had USD forks and the 2004 had RWU forks so potentially yours is a late registration 2004 model and the one you have a picture of that says its a 2007 is a late reg 2006.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:28 - 18 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

As per the above advice, you’d get better results having the current forks valved and sprung for your weight and riding style. The standard fork is a decent cartridge design despite not having external adjustment. I can assure the only bike I have where the external adjusters get touched is my race bike. Everything else gets left alone once the set up feels right.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1