Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Insurance question.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:05 - 24 Feb 2024    Post subject: Insurance question. Reply with quote

I have in my head you can't have more than 1 insurance policy on a vehicle. Is that correct or can a two people have an insurance policy seperatly for the same vehicle.

I am asking because youngest daughter who at present can't afford to run a vehicle has been given the option of using her friends car if she pays the extra insurance to be put on it. That's no problem but her own no claims is 2 years not used at the end of March so she wants to get a seperate insurance policy for herself and the car to keep the NC valid for the future, rather than just go on friends policy as a named driver.

Obviously this would mean car has owners insurance policy and my daughters policy.

I can't find a catagorical answer so anyone here got any ideas please.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 03:04 - 25 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd be committing fraud if you had an accident and tried to claim against both. I don't think there is any law against it, insurance companies might get eggy but it's perfectly fine to have 2 policies on 1 vehicle.

I often had my bikes double insured as our groups were too young to get ride other bikes, so we just got insurance and cancelled within the 14 days Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:32 - 25 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broken Google?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.comparethemarket.com/car-insurance/content/two-policies-one-car/%3famp

I would guess that it is 'normally' cheaper to have named drivers or add a driver to an existing policy.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:55 - 25 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen, buddy, I don't know if you're trying to be funny or just plain dumb, but let me break it down for you. Having multiple insurance policies for the same vehicle is like wearing two pairs of underwear at once. Sure, you can do it, but it's unnecessary, uncomfortable, and makes you look like an idiot. So, no, you can't have two separate policies for the same vehicle, unless you're trying to swindle the system, and trust me, insurance companies aren't stupid enough to fall for that crap.

or

Alright, listen up. In the UK, it's not like some twisted game where you and your mate can each slap your own insurance policy on the same car like it's some sort of competition. You can't just double dip on coverage for the same vehicle. That's not how it works, mate. It's one policy per car, end of story. Trying to finagle your way around that is like trying to teach a goldfish algebra – pointless and downright absurd. So, save yourself the embarrassment and stick to the rules like the rest of us.

Shocked

Crying or Very sad

ChatGPT is completely wrong.

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:48 - 25 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

A key question insurance companies ask - are you the owner and registered keeper? If there are 2 policies in place, by 2 different people then one of the policyholders has lied.

Good luck getting a reasonably priced policy quote after you have been rumbled and had your policy voided.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:45 - 25 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minty wrote:
A key question insurance companies ask - are you the owner and registered keeper? If there are 2 policies in place, by 2 different people then one of the policyholders has lied.

Eh?

There's no reason why you can't insure a vehicle that belongs to someone else so there's no need to lie about anything.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:56 - 01 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
There's no reason why you can't insure a vehicle that belongs to someone else so there's no need to lie about anything.

Is that right though?

Last summer I got into a situation where a dealership had fucked up my bike, which was being serviced prior to me heading off on tour in Europe (yeah, rookie error) and one of the possible temporary solutions proffered was that the dealer might have loaned me a bike so I could still make the trip provided I obtained my own insurance. There were other reasons why that didn't/couldn't work, so my hunt for insurance wasn't exhaustive; nevertheless I did spend some time looking (ie for a bike not owned/kept by me, and drew a blank).

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:51 - 01 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lexham say you can. https://www.lexhaminsurance.co.uk/blog/insuring-a-bike-registered-to-someone-else/

There's plenty of companies offering short term insurance and part of their target market for that are people who have borrowed a vehicle. https://goshorty.co.uk/temporary-car-insurance/ Yeah that's car insurance but the principle is the same.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:12 - 03 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Ste wrote:

Is that right though?

Last summer I got into a situation where a dealership had fucked up my bike, which was being serviced prior to me heading off on tour in Europe (yeah, rookie error) and one of the possible temporary solutions proffered was that the dealer might have loaned me a bike so I could still make the trip provided I obtained my own insurance. There were other reasons why that didn't/couldn't work, so my hunt for insurance wasn't exhaustive; nevertheless I did spend some time looking (ie for a bike not owned/kept by me, and drew a blank).

Comparison sites ask if your the owner so you could just get a quote through one of those. It might limit who would give you a quote but it's certainly not against the law.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:58 - 04 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some quotes on moneysupermarket.com where I'm the owner and registered keeper to compare to if I'm not the owner or registered keeper and it made no difference to the price.

https://i.imgur.com/mZQXCZM.jpeg

I tried having the owner as the registered owner and keeper as other and again as garage.

Your mileage may vary. Rain

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:18 - 04 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
I tried having the owner as the registered owner and keeper as other and again as garage.
Your mileage may vary. Rain

Maybe my situation was compounded by needing to take the bike over the Channel?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:40 - 04 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't have thought that would make any difference but who knows.

The quote I've got says:"Maximum number of days you're insured for in a single European trip, per policy term: 90 days."

And gov.uk says
"If you’re driving in most European countries
All UK vehicle insurance provides the minimum third party cover to drive in:

the EU (including Ireland)
Andorra
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Iceland
Liechtenstein
Norway
Serbia
Switzerland"

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-insurance/driving-abroad
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1