Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Not ridden for 13 years, anything new I need to know?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:50 - 06 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
Watch out for potholes, they are breeding at a humongous rate. Must be something to do with global warming and Greta.

I was in East Mains Industrial Estate in Broxburn (near Edinburgh) and it has the worst potholes I've ever seen in my life. They were legitimately like craters that you drive into and then back out of. Absolutely insane.

Meh!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:32 - 07 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

...something that HAS changed in the last ten years in my view is car drivers ability to stay on their side of the road or in their lane when going around a bend or roundabout. I think it's something to do with the fashion for crossovers and SUVs. I think people who previously would probably have driven a Fiesta are now not capable of keeping their Nissan Quishqosh in lane around a bend. So as a motorcyclist I find that I have to be ready to change line in a corner when one of these kamikaze drivers appears. I'm certain this has gotten a LOT worse in the last decade.

Yup, crossing onto the wrong side of the road is the new failing to indicate. It seems to be any vehicle and demographic these days and getting worse all the time.

I thought it was a consequence of the trend of in car distraction and/or general selfishness, but I got an enlightening insight from the comments section of a social media post recently.

Someone had posted a picture of a VW Golf completely straddling the centre line of a reasonably wide rural A road. I presume the poster's intention was to point and laugh at the crappy driving, but to my horror, most of the comments section was filled with people saying "that's what I and all my friends and family do. Nothing wrong with it. Keeps you out of all the potholes at the side of the road".... Shocked

Jesus wept!

Is there any hope for us as a species?

oh and on the subject of smartphones on handlebars. Take care what and how you mount since bikes can vibrate phone cameras to death. It took quite a while, but I broke an iPhone that way.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/102175

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 07 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serendipity wrote:

Yup, crossing onto the wrong side of the road is the new failing to indicate. It seems to be any vehicle and demographic these days and getting worse all the time.

They have all gone a bit strange since covid or covid vaccines - some kind of brain fog and lack of ability to concentrate and judge things properly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:11 - 08 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bike. It'll be the best fun you can enjoy with your undies on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:58 - 08 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
It's a bike. It'll be the best fun you can enjoy with your undies on.

Until you find yourself in a situation where you soil your undies. Shocked

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:37 - 08 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:

Until you find yourself in a situation where you soil your undies. Shocked

That's called good times i.e you survived to tell the tale (whilst the washer takes care of things).

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:42 - 08 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serendipity wrote:

oh and on the subject of smartphones on handlebars. Take care what and how you mount since bikes can vibrate phone cameras to death. It took quite a while, but I broke an iPhone that way.

Someone at Apple needs guidnace - high-power of or high vibrations? I guess he/she/they/them Rolling Eyes mean Hardly Ablesomes..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:40 - 08 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Serendipity wrote:

Someone at Apple needs guidnace - high-power of or high vibrations? I guess he/she/they/them Rolling Eyes mean Hardly Ablesomes..

Not sure about just them. I would think some of the really high frequency vibrations you get at certain revs on a multi would be pretty destructive to elecronics not designed to put up with it.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2