Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Continuing woes with the KZ1000 clutch/gears

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:37 - 04 Nov 2023    Post subject: Continuing woes with the KZ1000 clutch/gears Reply with quote

The old fella's Kawasaki KZ1000 (1977/78 - classic UJM) is still giving him trouble. Symptoms: very hard to get into neutral as in physically difficult to lift the lever up (not the typical skipping past neutral on the way from 1st to 2nd happens with some bikes.)

What we did today was strip the clutch assembly down, cleaned and lubed everything (and yes, we put the ball bearing back!) and did all the adjustments. This time though I at least made sure some decent 10W40 motorbike oil went in Smile

Made a marginal difference Sad Note that it's a little easier to get into neutral from cold than with a hot engine.

This all started happening after renewing the clutch plates. With the old ones the clutch was slipping and definitely at the wear limit when we measured them. Of course the old fella's blaming the new plates and we're both thinking clutch drag...

However, with regards to clutch drag in my experience there's a notable difference trying to walk back a bike in neutral vs. 1st + clutch in; not much but something. This KZ1000 isn't offering much resistance with the same test so I'm wondering if it even is clutch drag fucking up neutral selection Thinking

I can only think of something up with the gear selector drum assembly but stripping the bottom-end apart is not a job either of us fancy Shocked

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:51 - 04 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you check the drum for wear on the bits where the clutch plates slide against it?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:54 - 04 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Did you check the drum for wear on the bits where the clutch plates slide against it?

Yeah, the whole basket looks mint. None of the notching you'd expect to see if there'd been excessive wear.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:55 - 04 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, ( Note that it's a little easier to get into neutral from cold than with a hot engine.)
Do you know the idle speed with the engine cold & hot?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:07 - 04 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't start with your idle speed shit again.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:15 - 04 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You haven't got a dished washer behind the basket in the wrong way round?

Don't know if zeds have one but other bikes do.

EDIT: Kaswasakis also have a neutral position detent roller on a spring that engages in a recess on the selector drum in the gear selector mechanism when it's in the heutral position. Part 23. It's quite flimsy, as is the spring on it. https://www.cmsnl.com/kawasaki-kz1000d3-z1r-1980-canada_model15398/partslist/66493.html

For what it's worth, I've had problems with the primary selector on EX500 motors where the hooks on the gear selector (Part 8) which grabs the drum and rotates it became worn/deformed and needed dressing off with a file. This tended to cause "dead" shifts where they failed to engage properly though rasther than increased effort. I know on the EX500 motors, you could get at all of the primary selector without having to split the engine, it was under its own cover which was located behind the final drive sprocket (and isn't immediately obvious to see because the screws are usually totally filled with chain yack and under a deflector plate).

Looks from the fisches like Zeds also have a seperate transmission cover. (part 21) https://www.cmsnl.com/kawasaki-kz1000d3-z1r-1980-canada_model15398/partslist/66478.html

A lot of the selector parts under that cover are just made of stamped steel plate, they would be easily bent/mangled if you apply a lot of force to the gear lever.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:41 - 04 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
You haven't got a dished washer behind the basket in the wrong way round?

Don't know if zeds have one but other bikes do.

EDIT: Kaswasakis also have a neutral position detent roller on a spring that engages in a recess on the selector drum in the gear selector mechanism when it's in the heutral position. Part 23. It's quite flimsy, as is the spring on it. https://www.cmsnl.com/kawasaki-kz1000d3-z1r-1980-canada_model15398/partslist/66493.html

For what it's worth, I've had problems with the primary selector on EX500 motors where the hooks on the gear selector (Part 8) which grabs the drum and rotates it became worn/deformed and needed dressing off with a file. This tended to cause "dead" shifts where they failed to engage properly though rasther than increased effort. I know on the EX500 motors, you could get at all of the primary selector without having to split the engine, it was under its own cover which was located behind the final drive sprocket (and isn't immediately obvious to see because the screws are usually totally filled with chain yack and under a deflector plate).

Looks from the fisches like Zeds also have a seperate transmission cover. (part 21) https://www.cmsnl.com/kawasaki-kz1000d3-z1r-1980-canada_model15398/partslist/66478.html

A lot of the selector parts under that cover are just made of stamped steel plate, they would be easily bent/mangled if you apply a lot of force to the gear lever.

I first read that as dish washer.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:38 - 04 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Mmm, this is what I'd be worried about. Almost resigned at this point we have to take the engine out Sad

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:53 - 04 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

Mmm, this is what I'd be worried about. Almost resigned at this point we have to take the engine out Sad

Nah, you can get at all the external selector mechanism with the engine in the frame. Worth looking at this first.

https://youtu.be/KE2RXorR_pI?si=wCzGKE-RtBFE0hk5

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 21:15 - 04 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was fine before you did the clutch plates, and it's bad afterwards, you probably cocked up something when you did the plates.

Chain tension can also be a factor. Did you tension the chain for good measure after having it all apart?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:51 - 04 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Nah, you can get at all the external selector mechanism with the engine in the frame. Worth looking at this first.

https://youtu.be/KE2RXorR_pI?si=wCzGKE-RtBFE0hk5

Noice Thumbs Up

Robby wrote:
If it was fine before you did the clutch plates, and it's bad afterwards, you probably cocked up something when you did the plates.

Probably Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Chain tension can also be a factor. Did you tension the chain for good measure after having it all apart?

No! I'll look into that, thanks!

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:24 - 04 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tried putting it on the main stand and
whilst rocking the rear wheel back and forth, selecting gears?
It should be quite easy to go up and down the box unless the selectors are fooked and may help decide where the problem lays.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:02 - 05 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
have you tried putting it on the main stand and
whilst rocking the rear wheel back and forth, selecting gears?
It should be quite easy to go up and down the box unless the selectors are fooked and may help decide where the problem lays.

The centre stand got deleted some time before this bike crossed the pond so we'll try it on a paddock stand instead.

Thanks, guys, some great ideas to start off. Feeling a lot more optimistic now! I have to do the servicing on my car tomorrow (front wheel bearings need replacing, oh joy of joys) but hopefully we can squeeze in some diagnosis time with the KZ.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:13 - 05 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth noting that if you do decide to go into the external selector housing that it's wet but when I did it on my GPZs, you could lean it way over to the right against a wall and remove the cover without having to drain the oil.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 09:37 - 11 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be the stack height. Take out a couple of the new plates and put a couple of the old ones back in and see if it's any easier.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:09 - 12 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have yous tried switching it off then switching it in again?

I would put money on an assembly error. Its not toooo crazy to whip the clutch out again.

Clasping at straws here,, re-clutch drag, did yous soak the new plates?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:41 - 09 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update. Up until last week the clutch was still giving the old fella troubles and to top it off the other day the cable snapped (one of the ends went.)

He couldn't get the right replacement so tried one billed as for a Z650. It's a bit long but now the clutch works perfectly. There's zero slack in the cable but there's no slip in the higher gears / rev range.

Can only put the previous woes down to cable routing Thinking

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:11 - 09 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Quick update. Up until last week the clutch was still giving the old fella troubles and to top it off the other day the cable snapped (one of the ends went.)

He couldn't get the right replacement so tried one billed as for a Z650. It's a bit long but now the clutch works perfectly. There's zero slack in the cable but there's no slip in the higher gears / rev range.

Can only put the previous woes down to cable routing Thinking

Or stretchy cable?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:23 - 10 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Or stretchy cable?

Good point! We were trying to work out why it was worserrer some days more than others. Bet the worst days were warmer.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1