Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What are the non-R Street Triples like?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

slowside
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:29 - 09 Apr 2024    Post subject: What are the non-R Street Triples like? Reply with quote

The standard Striples are now getting into a price range I can afford, there is a decent looking 2016 one not too far from me.

I know the R gets the adjustable suspension and radial brakes, but what is the stock bike like? I'm hardly going to tax its abilities I suspect, if the stock suspension is just par with things like the SV650, MT07 etc that's going to be more than adequate for me.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:44 - 09 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

The non R's were actually preferred by some people. The suspension was set up pretty well out of the box and softer than the R (which was terrible on my STR until I got it set up professionally).

Brakes were fine on the one I rode. Maybe not quite as sharp as my STR but perfectly adequate. Motor on those I'm not sure if there was much difference but I certainly don't remember noticing anything.

I got the R for the same reason 90% of people got the R and the same reason people buy cars with the M or Arbarth badge, pose value Laughing

To sum up, I would happily have a non R and pocket the difference but I'm not the hooligan I once was.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:49 - 09 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an R. I rode a non R before I bought it and it did not suit me. It wouldn’t turn and the brakes felt weak. The R felt great and now it’s been set up it’s fantastic. Mine needs new fork oil and I’m told that the front springs vary massively from the factory but I’ve not ridden many other bikes that handle as well. Certainly no middleweight nakeds.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:40 - 10 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another R owner here, but like Polarbear pointed out, i primarly bought my R because its an R, and at the time there wasn't much in it in terms of price difference

I am on several forums/FB Groups for the Striples, and while the vast majority seem to own R's, the non R's always get good feedback/reviews from new members joining

I certainly don't think you will be dissappointed, and of the other bikes you mentioned, any review i read of the MT-07 always mentions the "budget" suspension setup, never read a review of the Striple where any mention was made of budjet or poor suspension of the standard model

andys675
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:36 - 11 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you just want better than the SV or MT thats what you'll find, enjoy

I took a non R out to try the braking versus the R, got up on the A5 pinned it the same way and fed the gears in, hit the brakes at the same marker and sailed past the turning I wanted

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:35 - 14 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if I was fast riding on decent roads, an R would be great but I absolutely loved my standard ST, so much so I'm looking at another.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:44 - 14 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2009 Triple and it is more bike than I could ever manage to get close to the limit. R sounds good but will it really make that much difference on fucked up roads in the UK? Track maybe.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1