Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How do I know is the oil foamed?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rocket66
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:26 - 16 Apr 2024    Post subject: How do I know is the oil foamed? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I just changed the oil to my CBF600 Honda (PC43). I drove about 200 km. At the evening when the engine had cooled I noticed that I had overfilled. I checked the oil in the jug and seems that I had put approx. 1 dl too much. If the oil is now foamed, should it be visible in the oil inspection window? There are no bubbles in the oil when you look in through the window. What do you think? Is it enough to remove the excess oil through the drain plug or is it safer take all oil out and put completely new oil in the bike? I know foamed oil is very bad for the bike so I'm just a little neurotic about not breaking the engine.. Confused

I don’t know how I managed to overfill, the bike was on transport stand..maybe it was a little skewed..

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:53 - 16 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

An oversimplistic assessment but you can consider the oil in the engine as prematurely aged. Yes, reduce the oil level down to the factory spec by all means but at least move forward the next scheduled oil change. The only downside doing an oil change right now is the money wasted.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:08 - 16 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

1dl = 100cc, hardly enough to worry about. Drain some out, re-fill to the correct level and forget about it. Certainly, don't throw away the oil you just put in.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:40 - 16 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

The top off an old liquid soap dispenser sometimes reaches the oil and can be used to pump out the excess.

Rocket66
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:04 - 16 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for answers! Maybe I’ll just drain some oil off and add new. I have more than abou 1L oil left.

No need for changing the oil filter?

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:11 - 16 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocket66 wrote:
Thanks for answers! Maybe I’ll just drain some oil off and add new. I have more than abou 1L oil left.

Since you cannot see oil foaming in the sight glass, you can surmise that no aeration has taken place. No need to change the filter. Place your drain pan under the bike and have a shop rag ready. Loosen the oil drain plug by hand, crack it open and drain approximately 100cc of oil, then thread in the drain plug. Use the shop rag to wipe the oil off your hand and tighten the drain plug. Add oil to the desired level in the sight glass. job done.

Rocket66
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:53 - 16 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
Rocket66 wrote:

Since you cannot see oil foaming in the sight glass, you can surmise that no aeration has taken place. No need to change the filter. Place your drain pan under the bike and have a shop rag ready. Loosen the oil drain plug by hand, crack it open and drain approximately 100cc of oil, then thread in the drain plug. Use the shop rag to wipe the oil off your hand and tighten the drain plug. Add oil to the desired level in the sight glass. job done.

I’ll do that! Cheers!

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:44 - 16 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was carefully filled to the top of the range. Topped up again after the filter filled up. Run for half hour checked and confirmed on the top line. Checked a week later and its slightly above the top line. A slight off-balance tip of the bike and the level comes into view again. I'm leaving it - should be fine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:36 - 17 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your bike continues to "make oil", the cause could be fuel migrating into the crankcase. Easy to check; sniff the oil when you check it or remove the fill cap and smell for fuel. Easy to mitigate; keep the fuel petcock turned off when you park the bike. Wink
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1