BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Gear Shifting Very Difficult

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

flyingcbf
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:50 - 25 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just done a bit more research on YouTube and two user's have suggested that the last friction plate does not go along with the other plates. It goes to the opposite slot.
I'm strugling to attach photos from Google photos so thanks to 'StinkWheel' for helping me out. I'm going to try again...

I have installed the clutch plates wrong...
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AP1GczN9M887jFnMx9JWvsQ1xg3XzLS61lHqVjnSeJqCb3AsZxvcLpOTCRJEU3tThQni6mZHDG_PDVgFYRI9HIq2X1YpQ6i8Xa3awRW2l-WR5pOluVnmtVyZ8oo6ugcmgVER4k-J4OXPdlGndF9SNCJHX_4m=w1215-h911-s-no-gm-no

The correct way is this, so the last clutch plate is installed on the next slot, as in the picture below...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AP1GczOILagQ3Ot8f8ix-odMKIOx1-mOQQqTSpXLVZCCz5Zl1d-YkKJ8KMJwBbw18VWLb7Q7QlND_rm-02Jlk_ryGbtCT-1AS3m5OhEaOKLQK-h_r5Q7MGyeC7NPEJ89PWIgMgpll-54ijQXbZWrrcXKIepY=w942-h522-s-no-gm-no

Notice the last plate is installed in the opposite slot..

Last edited by flyingcbf on 11:45 - 26 Apr 2024; edited 4 times in total

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:58 - 25 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are a bit incompetant at pictures. I'm not telling people which one this is.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AP1GczMRnIl6eYqpzy7BZLnlfZRctLiaPbXgJRwdT7cDCNEIPYs-1YAKYNQ2Yns61cMPA0aK-4bYhdO4R-2hhKO89J36EEy976qAXNP5FPTE-n45LPvV1xux2PqZOnM_DH54qWBy6C84EDCSHpVtu0zfe3kw=w1396-h1047-s-no?authuser=0

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:59 - 25 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingcbf wrote:
....So any suggestion as to where to look? Clutch Friction Plates???

I would start by carefully examining the engine oil, which is shared with the transmission and clutch. Rub some oil between your thumb and forefinger...see if you can discern a loss of lubricity or the presence of debris (clutch plate material). Smell the oil. Can you detect the odor of fuel? Does it smell burnt? Fuel dilution and overheating will cause the engine oil to loose its ability to lubricate. Your problem could be related to a fuel system problem or a faulty oil cooler.

Absent any clues you might discern from the oil, clutch plates are a good place to look. I would mic out the plates individually and measure the stack and check against published specifications. Examine the clutch hub and basket for wear that might impede the clutch plates from free lateral movement. Look for evidence of two clutch plates that might not freely separate. You might consider lightly sanding the friction plates to remove any imperfections that could affect stack height, and to remove glaze that might gum up free plate movement. Upon reassembly, it might be a good idea to mix the plates up from their original locations. Standard practice is to soak the friction plates in oil prior to assembly.

flyingcbf
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 09:04 - 26 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
flyingcbf wrote:
....So any suggestion as to where to look? Clutch Friction Plates???

I would start by carefully examining the engine oil, which is shared with the transmission and clutch. Rub some oil between your thumb and forefinger...see if you can discern a loss of lubricity or the presence of debris (clutch plate material). Smell the oil. Can you detect the odor of fuel? Does it smell burnt? Fuel dilution and overheating will cause the engine oil to loose its ability to lubricate. Your problem could be related to a fuel system problem or a faulty oil cooler.

Absent any clues you might discern from the oil, clutch plates are a good place to look. I would mic out the plates individually and measure the stack and check against published specifications. Examine the clutch hub and basket for wear that might impede the clutch plates from free lateral movement. Look for evidence of two clutch plates that might not freely separate. You might consider lightly sanding the friction plates to remove any imperfections that could affect stack height, and to remove glaze that might gum up free plate movement. Upon reassembly, it might be a good idea to mix the plates up from their original locations. Standard practice is to soak the friction plates in oil prior to assembly.

Engine oil has just been changed, twice. I did an oil flush.
I'm going to attempt to open her again today weather permitting and check the clutch plates. I'll check the oil too as suggested. Thumbs Up

flyingcbf
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 12:37 - 26 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

After watching some videos below,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wblPnGEQgsg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbr7lL3balg

it seems that the clutch plates in this bike are already correct, so there must be some other underlying issue Sad
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3