Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

SYM XS125-K Vent line hanging and dripping fuel

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

CraddyMcPatty
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:51 - 28 Apr 2024    Post subject: SYM XS125-K Vent line hanging and dripping fuel Reply with quote

So, just some context:
A month or so ago, I bought a 4-owner 2016 SYM XS125-K from a stranger to use as a beginner bike. It was poorly maintained and ran poorly. After a new chain kit, spark plug, oil and air filter, it runs well.

Long story short, someone had dismantled the SYM once before, and half-assed it when putting it back together, and that leads to (what I believe) a vent line hanging and leaking fuel everytime I make sudden movement (such as emergency braking) with a full/nearly full tank of fuel.

I have no clue where the line is supposed to go nor where it was before. Any help with these Chinese bikes?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:12 - 28 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

For fuel tank vent/drain/breather pipes they just need to point down at the ground. Route them whatever way looks best without kinking the pipes and convoluted bends. Think about moving parts like the swing arm and whether they might mangle the pipes through their full range of travel.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:15 - 28 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're overfilling you tank. The fuel goes into the vent at the top, it's location at the bottom is irrelevant. You don't want it to go in at the top.

CraddyMcPatty
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:08 - 30 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
For fuel tank vent/drain/breather pipes they just need to point down at the ground. Route them whatever way looks best without kinking the pipes and convoluted bends. Think about moving parts like the swing arm and whether they might mangle the pipes through their full range of travel.

Thank you for the advice, but pointing them at the ground would lead to just spitting fuel on the asphalt, as it does.
Routing the hose/line somewhere that looks alright and doesn't leak onto the ground, would most likely lead to fuel setting itself in the bottommost section of the hose/line, which could lead to complications later on, no?

Either way, appreciate the feedback and thanks a lot.

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
You're overfilling you tank. The fuel goes into the vent at the top, it's location at the bottom is irrelevant. You don't want it to go in at the top.

Thank your for the advice, I never really though about overfilling as I bought the bike with a full tank, but that could be the main reason. Thank you.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:36 - 30 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to expand on wot Nobby said any lines pretty much anywhere on a bike that have open ends are meant to drain excess liquids or gases - of course they're meant to hit the asphalt!

"But I don't want to lose all my petrol!" These lines will be coming from the top of the tank so no fuel should be spilling out unless either the bike's tipped over or the tank's been overfilled.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:33 - 01 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

CraddyMcPatty wrote:
Thank you for the advice, but pointing them at the ground would lead to just spitting fuel on the asphalt

That's the whole point of them. It stops the fuel from collecting anywhere on the bike and setting fire to you.

CraddyMcPatty
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:40 - 01 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
CraddyMcPatty wrote:
Thank you for the advice, but pointing them at the ground would lead to just spitting fuel on the asphalt

That's the whole point of them. It stops the fuel from collecting anywhere on the bike and setting fire to you.

Oh alright, apologies for my misunderstanding. Thank you to both of you.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1