Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Hi! I'm totally new. Honest...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:20 - 02 May 2024    Post subject: Hi! I'm totally new. Honest... Reply with quote

Well, "new" in that I apparently haven't logged in for 6 years, so I'll take it.

As my son is nearing 16 (how time flies, feels like it was just yesterday, etc) I'm having to learn how to navigate all the crap involved with getting on the road these days, and as an entertaining aside I thought it might be fun to come back here to randomly insult people again. If I can also display my self righteous brilliance at the same time, so much the better.

So here's me, looking at 50s again, wondering why "gears" and a fuel tank in front of the seat appears to be a foreign concept...

Welcome back me!

(Annoyingly, this will ruin my 1,234 post count. Oh well.)

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:10 - 02 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember you. Tried to sell me a Citroen Visa(?) with the steering wheel on the wrong side. Anyway. I always did wonder where you disapeared to.. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:28 - 02 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was probably an acadian Razz

And I didn't disappear, I got distracted by (probably) something shiny and forgot to log in for a while!

Anyway, how's it been?

When did little bikes get so expensive?

Why are twist and go scooters the apparent default choice these days?

Did you get that ts185 running right in the end?

that_impulse_guy
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:50 - 02 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

insurance is f****** crazy.

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:54 - 02 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

that_impulse_guy wrote:
insurance is f****** crazy.

I won't argue against that statement...

Looking at 4-500 for son on a 50 (proper 50, scooterped is 200+ more than that).

But, it's still cheaper and way more fun than the bus, plus he can go out in the evening on a bike, buses around here stop at teatime...

Edit to add - you know what's a bigger racket than insurance? Training/testing. "Back in my day" we had a few lessons and did the test and I for one died very rarely - now it seems that to ditch your Ls it takes 5 full days and nigh on a grand to learn how to go around cones and what to do at traffic lights, and you have to do the same damn thing up to 3 times over the course of like 15 years.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:27 - 02 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. Welcome back. Very Happy

It's sounds the same as it was when you left. Plenty sarcisim and a hating of Harley's. And a dislike to anyone advertsing their goods. And black transgender males/females. I'm in Scotland so I'll probably get arrested for saying that, thanks to that arsehole racist Hamza. Glad that he realised he was useless and jumped out.

Only tongue in cheek

Last edited by struan80 on 19:19 - 02 May 2024; edited 1 time in total

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:38 - 02 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

50cc at 16.
A1 license on a 125 once he's turned 17.
A2 license at two years after that.
Full A license two years later.

Rain

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:21 - 02 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
50cc at 16.
A1 license on a 125 once he's turned 17.
A2 license at two years after that.
Full A license two years later.

Rain

Yeah, but I'm thinking skip the A1 (unless he really wants the horrible experience of loading a pillion on a 125) and go straight to A2 at 19.

It's a crap system but hey, it is what it is - either go along with it or do the ridiculous "freeman of the land" bollocks and get arrested.

That's all a way off though, we have all the character building of getting a doggy 50 to fix first.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:44 - 02 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing the A1 test gets the clock started on the two year limit of 6 points.

Is the intention to keep the 50cc until he's able to do A2?

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:01 - 02 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Doing the A1 test gets the clock started on the two year limit of 6 points.

Is the intention to keep the 50cc until he's able to do A2?

Probably not, 100 or 125 at 17 on Ls, redo CBT at 18 because 2 year expiry on that.

As for the points clock, there's a good chance he's genetically predisposed to be a boring/lucky git like me (almost 30 years licenced on 2+ wheels, zero endorsements).

It's all theoretical at the mo anyway, he might hate riding or he might get a girl/boy/mixed friend that he wants to use as ballast on a woefully underpowered machine and/or fancy the white knuckle "motorway at 60mph" thing.

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:07 - 02 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
Hello. Welcome back. Very Happy

It's sounds the same as it was when you left. Plenty sarcisim and a hating of Harley's. And a dislike to anyone advertsing their goods. And black transgender males/females. I'm in Scotland so I'll probably get arrested for saying that, thanks to that arsehole racist Hamza. Glad that he realised he was useless and jumped out.

Only tongue in cheek

Just saw the edit...

There's a few names I recognise, more that I don't, and a fair few that I never put the effort into remembering Wink

The general tone seems slightly tamer though, maybe I just haven't seen enough of Ste's recent posts yet... Very Happy

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:36 - 02 May 2024    Post subject: Licence. Reply with quote

A1 also negates retaking of cbt. Theory cost plus £90.50 for tests save a few ponds.

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:06 - 02 May 2024    Post subject: Re: Licence. Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
A1 also negates retaking of cbt. Theory cost plus £90.50 for tests save a few ponds.

Now that's what I thought, however speaking to a few training places today I was led to believe that's not an option and "everyone" does (what used to be called) an intensive course now...

To paraphrase multiple sources- "you don't do it through a test centre now, you do our 4 day course for ~£850 (each level)."

If just booking a test is still an option, then yeah, loose plans are loose enough to change...

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:20 - 02 May 2024    Post subject: A1 Reply with quote

Course for an a1 is cheeky as fuck. Some cones, (few online videos of mod 1) a naughty bit of car park usage and he'll be fine. Mod 2.... don't ride it like you stole it.

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:50 - 02 May 2024    Post subject: Re: A1 Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Course for an a1 is cheeky as fuck. Some cones, (few online videos of mod 1) a naughty bit of car park usage and he'll be fine. Mod 2.... don't ride it like you stole it.

Well, seems they were trying to take me for a monkey....

Generally I thought if you'd done CBT without issue and then ridden for a year+ there really shouldn't be a need for loads of hours (if any) training, and each progression should be "same shit, heavier bike".

I suppose I shouldn't have expected anything less, even when I took my test I was told "most people need 20-30 hours of lessons" and they seemed pissed off when I passed after 5 (well, the actual instructor was pretty chuffed, the bods in the office far less so).

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:35 - 02 May 2024    Post subject: Re: Licence. Reply with quote

pdg wrote:
To paraphrase multiple sources- "you don't do it through a test centre now, you do our 4 day course for ~£850 (each level)."

Assuming that he's not incompetent on two wheels then it shouldn't take four days of training for each level.

Depending on how confident he is then it's entirely possible to do the tests without using a riding school assuming he can get insurance. I think bikesure do cover that allows people to do tests on their own bike.

A1 can be DIY on your own 125 that's being ridden on a CBT. A2 is more awkward as you can't ride the A2 bike to the test centre on your own so you either need someone to ride it there for you or you could take the bike in a van. A2 to A can be done on your own bike assuming it's one which can be restricted and derestricted as required.

The whole DIY route could get rather convoluted but doing the A1 tests on his own bike rather than renewing the CBT is a reasonable enough idea though.

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:01 - 02 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting to/from the test centre won't be an issue (assuming I'm still alive...) - either I can pillion him there or trailer it.

The insurance bit is the only part I (now) see as a possible complication, but there's always a way.

Given the 'advice' I received from training providers, it's seriously looking like we'll only intend to use them for the minimum required (CBT) and figure out the rest as and when it comes time, even if it means sticking him on one of my bikes for the test.

Well thanks guys, this has actually cheered me up a bit and it frees up some potential budget for bike rather than superfluous training.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:10 - 03 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, £127 for 5 bikes seems reasonable for me, insurance wise.
Also, the most expensive of my last three bikes was not more than £250. Even on my 3 cars, I found equivalent prices elsewhere if necesary...

Yes, the ts185 is running fine, but I only use it rarely- a tank lasts two years at my rate. Only 1,000 miles in 9 years. Exhaust being clogged was the original fault. Still is a bit clogged but now I know that fact I'm not too bothered by it. A good 10 mile run @ 50-60mph straight does make it feel much more wonderful though. Did caustic soda it but will need a few more goes I think. I don't think i've ever really jelled with it like I hoped I might. Plus, I keep buying bikes, but not selling any so as time goes by my time on any single bike is shared with many.

Glad you're back.
Can't comment on the current licencing process though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:14 - 03 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twist and go scooters are now popular so that little Johnny Foreigner can come here in his little dinghy, get a cash in hand delivery job and fuck up basic highway code rules in a town near you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:26 - 03 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 16 year old on a prov is a different matter for insurance though - I can fc a zzr11 for 50 quid with 0 ncd... On a car, I pay less per year on an xtrail than a friend's 18yo kid pays per month on a 950 hatch (and they have a big brother box too)...

But it's just what it is - just getting to school/college on the bus would cost him a fiver a day (or a tenner if he has the audacity of wanting to go before 9am - that's on normal buses, we're paying over a grand a year on a season ticket for a dedicated school bus atm), vs under a quid of petrol a day on a 50 or 125 so that offsets the insurance and most other costs completely.

We're going to look at a couple of bikes tomorrow - who knows, there might be a show and tell in the pipeline...

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:31 - 03 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
Twist and go scooters are now popular so that little Johnny Foreigner can come here in his little dinghy, get a cash in hand delivery job and fuck up basic highway code rules in a town near you.

Well, I for one choose to reject modern convention - he'll learn gears and like it!

Plus, he's into a bit of greenlane exploration on his mtb now and every 50 picture we've shown him gets "what would that be like on the byways?"

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:00 - 04 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdg wrote:
I can fc a zzr11 for 50 quid with 0 ncd

Show quotes for a Kwak ZZ-R11 annual policy £50 fully comprehensive with zero No Claims being used.

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:57 - 04 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Fat Angry Scotsman"]
pdg wrote:

Show quotes for a Kwak ZZ-R11 annual policy £50 fully comprehensive with zero No Claims being used.

What?

Do I not have a trustworthy face?

Here's base price, I'd get 30 quid cashback on that = 50 ponds.

Might go down a bit once that claim I had expires in October so I no longer have to declare it...

Sometimes, it pays to be old and living out in the sticks.

(Oh, and my '72 land rover insurance cost me £86 3 days ago)

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:20 - 04 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

So today I/we went shopping and my son's firat bike followed me home. A lexmoto hunter - needs a little work and a few parts but nothing really major. It should last a year after some fettling.

And what will probably be his second bike followed me home too..... An '04 CG125. Also needs a little work but it's a CG, after the nuclear apocalypse it'll only be cockroaches and CG125s left roaming the earth.

I think I'll probably have to be nice and ride the CG for a year or so, just to test it like. It'll be the first time I've had a 125, how exciting!

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:35 - 05 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdg wrote:
after the nuclear apocalypse it'll only be cockroaches and CG125s left roaming the earth.

And Giant scorpions.

https://technicolordreams70.wordpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/lobby2.jpg
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2