Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda CBF600 N4 Won't Pull Under Load

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

dannymassive
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:15 - 02 Aug 2016    Post subject: Honda CBF600 N4 Won't Pull Under Load Reply with quote

I'm writing this post in hope that someone may have an idea of what is causing this problem. My friend has a 2004 Honda CBF600 that he uses to commute circa 60 miles per day. He's owned the bike since 2008 when it had just 4k miles on the clock and it has been well maintained throughout his ownership, never presenting any problems..... until now!

So the problem started a while back when the bike started using slightly more fuel than it usually had and the bike was blowing dark smoke out the exhaust upon revving. This was resolved by changing the carb diaphragms and things went back to normal business, until a few months back when it stopped performing in a normal manor and ceased to pull under any load. The usual suspects have been changed on a trial and error basis in hoping to resolve the problem. Firstly, the diaphragms in the carbs had been changed and the carbs cleaned, followed by throttle position sensor, and most recently the CDI unit. All to no avail. The Haynes manual has been throughly studied and we are now at a loose end as to what the cause of the problem is. Very frustrating!

Yesterday we took the Airbox off and ran the bike, which does rev without any load. This is when we spotted that the carb gates do not lift when the bike is revved. This we belive is the culprit! But why?!? Why would they not function? Assuming that they are vacuum operated, what would cause the vacuum to not be sufficient? Could there be another cause??

Thanks in advance guys.......

We don't want to be beaten by this and it would be great to get his commuting machine back on the road.

Oh - and the bike has done just over 100k miles now.
Previous Ride's - '01 Aprilia SR125 (Sold) '08 HONDA CBF600n (Sold) '96 CB500 (Sold) '01 FZS 1000 (Sold) '06 CB1300SA (Sold) '07 CB600F Hornet (Sold) - '93 Suzuki Savage LS400 (Sold) '98 Honda VTR1000 Firestorm (Sold) '05 CB600F Hornet (Sold) '01 FZS1000 Fazer (Sold) 2016 Harley Davidson Street Bob SE (Sold) '02 Kawasaki ZX9R (Sold) '98 CB600F Hornet (Sold) '04 Suzuki Bandit 1200s (Sold) '13 Yamaha FZ1-N

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:35 - 02 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you done a compression test.

dannymassive
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 03:36 - 03 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:
Have you done a compression test.

Sorry, I should have added that too. Yes a compression test has been done. Results showed good compression.

I was also initially thinking along the lines of piston rings etc. but I think that is now ruled out.
Previous Ride's - '01 Aprilia SR125 (Sold) '08 HONDA CBF600n (Sold) '96 CB500 (Sold) '01 FZS 1000 (Sold) '06 CB1300SA (Sold) '07 CB600F Hornet (Sold) - '93 Suzuki Savage LS400 (Sold) '98 Honda VTR1000 Firestorm (Sold) '05 CB600F Hornet (Sold) '01 FZS1000 Fazer (Sold) 2016 Harley Davidson Street Bob SE (Sold) '02 Kawasaki ZX9R (Sold) '98 CB600F Hornet (Sold) '04 Suzuki Bandit 1200s (Sold) '13 Yamaha FZ1-N

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 05:36 - 03 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the nipples from the carb tops for balancing missing?

If the carb slides don't rise then there is a carb vacuum problem.

dannymassive
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 06:35 - 03 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Are the nipples from the carb tops for balancing missing?

If the carb slides don't rise then there is a carb vacuum problem.

The carb balancing nips are in place.

I think you are right, it has to be a vacuum issue. All pipes seem in good condition with no cracks or perishing visible.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:11 - 03 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the airbox lid off, if you lift the carb slides with your finger do they lift easily and spring back down again smoothly? If so, then they are not lifting due to lack of vacuum as said.

First thought is - has a previous owner put a set of intake restrictor washers in the inlet stubs from back when you could restrict any size bike to 33hp? OR, (and this is pure guessing) have heavier springs been fitted above the slides for the same purpose.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

dannymassive
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 07:52 - 03 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
With the airbox lid off, if you lift the carb slides with your finger do they lift easily and spring back down again smoothly? If so, then they are not lifting due to lack of vacuum as said.

First thought is - has a previous owner put a set of intake restrictor washers in the inlet stubs from back when you could restrict any size bike to 33hp? OR, (and this is pure guessing) have heavier springs been fitted above the slides for the same purpose.

The carb gates / slides move freely and return to position when manually lifting with fingers.

The bike has defiently not been restricted.

I think we are all singing from the same hynm sheet here and agree that it has to be a vacuum issue. So where does the vacuum originate? If we can trace back then we may be able to find the cause?

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 08:01 - 03 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

dannymassive wrote:
If we can trace back then we may be able to find the cause?

The vacuum is caused by the pistons sucking in the air and fuel mix. The vacuum is diverted via a chamber to the carb tops and into the area in the diaphragm above the slides. The vacuum increases as the revs rise causing the slides to rise. there will either be a seal as part of the diaphragm or a seperate o ring to seal the carb top.

dannymassive
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:42 - 04 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we need to strip the carbs and check for leaks on the diaphragms again. I guess there is the possibility that he may have missed something.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:49 - 04 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the slides not lift at all? You can get to full revs with no load with them barely lifting by just reving it gently. If you want to see them lift you have to put a load on the engine, so a hard rev is required.

If you strip out the slides to check the diaphragms you should hold them up to the light and gently pull the diaphragm out and look for pinholes.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

dannymassive
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:52 - 05 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

They only lift slightly, maybe 1cm at most and that is with a full wrist full.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:00 - 05 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they all lift the same?

dannymassive
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:41 - 06 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Do they all lift the same?

Yes, they appear to all lift equally.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:52 - 06 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then it's not the diaphragms.

It's very hard trying to guess stuff like this over the internet but my guess is the bike is not breathing right. That means it's either not getting enough air in or not getting enough exhaust out.
Dirty air filter (I know a guy who had a 900 hornet that wouldn't rev because it was blocked up solid). Blocked exhaust is a possibility though not likely. Cam timing out can be a cause of not working under load but that's a long way off being likely.

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:34 - 06 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The symptoms sound exactly like what happens to a two stroke bike when the exhaust clogs from shite buildup. I suppose a four stroke bike could get a clogged exhaust by any number of means too.

I remember once trying for some time to start a VFR750 that had stood for a while, and when finally inspecting the airbox there was evidence that mice had got in and made a nest. God knows how many of them or how much of their mess got sucked into the engine before I looked at the airbox.

I did once put like a whole bunch of grapes down somebody's CBR600 exhaust at a rally, one at a time, in hopes that upon starting the bike it would fire grapes out the exhaust but nothing happened. I followed him all the way back to London and not a single grape was ever seen to exit the exhaust.

I've hear of birds or wasps making nests in bikes, Seriously, check that the exhaust blows normally. Look for spuds, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:12 - 07 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Then it's not the diaphragms.

It's very hard trying to guess stuff like this over the internet but my guess is the bike is not breathing right. That means it's either not getting enough air in or not getting enough exhaust out.
Dirty air filter (I know a guy who had a 900 hornet that wouldn't rev because it was blocked up solid). Blocked exhaust is a possibility though not likely. Cam timing out can be a cause of not working under load but that's a long way off being likely.

Cam timing slipped a tooth was my gut feeling but op confirmed compression test.

A good compression test for some people means nothing more than equal results across cylinders.

Thinking Hmm, what was the psi reading?
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 7 years, 271 days between these two posts...

bellerose
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:01 - 03 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a long shot, but has this ever been resolved? I bought a Hornet 2006 from Italy 3 years ago, exact same issue, haven't found the reason.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1